Thread: Advice on Onions

Default Advice on Onions

Hello, I confess I am not much of a gardener, but my wife is. We are having great success this year with most of our vegetables. Tomatoes and Cucumbers are doing amazing with all the heat we had in June. Lettuce, Potatoes, Carrots, Broccoli, Zucchinis, and Beets are doing great in our garden boxes. However, our Onions are rotting in the ground. My wife says that they have been doing that every year for the last 4 years! Does anybody have any suggestions for us?

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Hello, I confess I am not much of a gardener, but my wife is. We are having great success this year with most of our vegetables. Tomatoes and Cucumbers are doing amazing with all the heat we had in June. Lettuce, Potatoes, Carrots, Broccoli, Zucchinis, and Beets are doing great in our garden boxes. However, our Onions are rotting in the ground. My wife says that they have been doing that every year for the last 4 years! Does anybody have any suggestions for us?
    look at one real close, got some worms hanging out of it??? Probably Root maggots... you can google your onion problems, and get some good info.. if it's root maggots, the best non chemical solution I've found is nematodes... Northern Gardens sells a little sponge full of the critters for $21. Since I started using nematodes (follow instructions) I've had some great onion crops...

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    look at one real close, got some worms hanging out of it??? Probably Root maggots... you can google your onion problems, and get some good info.. if it's root maggots, the best non chemical solution I've found is nematodes... Northern Gardens sells a little sponge full of the critters for $21. Since I started using nematodes (follow instructions) I've had some great onion crops...
    Thanks for the advice. I think we are going to try that. My wife said she seemed to recall seeing those root maggots you referred to when she pulled up all the onion plants that went rotten.