Thread: New Halibut Regulation Proposals?!

Default New Halibut Regulation Proposals?!

Anyone else hear about this? I know it has been brought up in the past, but it seems as resurfaced. From what I have read it only applies to the charter fleet and will not affect recreational anglers who are unguided.

http://www.saveyourbut.com/

Sector Separation
    The Catch Sharing Plan (CSP) will further separate the guided from the unguided anglers in the recreational fishery. Guided anglers will be sharing catch limits with the commercial longline sector under the CSP. When managed by the Guideline Harvest Level (GHL), guided anglers were treated the same as unguided anglers and subsistence users. Their allocation was deducted prior to setting the commercial fishery catch limits. When the US established its 200 mile Exclusive Economic Zone, NOAA was given the responsibility to manage this public trust fishery. Under the Halibut Act, the Individual Fishing Quota (IFQ) program permitted the commercial longline sector to harvest a portion of the fishery for the benefit of a private sector. If the guided angler is placed on this side of the equation, they will no longer be participants in a public fishery, but receive an allocation after the unguided sector gets their allocation. As a result, a sector motivated by the high expectations of recreational fishing becomes split based upon how they elect to go fishing.

The CSP Problem Statement is no longer valid
    The Problem Statement Adopted by the Council reads:
    "The absence of a hard allocation between the commercial longline and charter halibut sectors has resulted in conflicts between sectors, and tensions in coastal communities that are dependent on the halibut resource. Unless a mechanism for the transfer between sectors is established, the existing environment of instability and conflict will continue. The Council seeks to address this instability, while balancing the needs of all who depend on the halibut resource for food, sport, or livelihood".

Since this problem statement was adopted in 2008, a Charter Limited Entry Program was established in 2011 that capped the growth of the charter fleet. Furthermore, the recent guided angler harvest has fallen below its GHL. The Council's proposed transfer mechanism, called the Guided Angler Fish (GAF), has received poor support from the charter sector because of legal, administrative and enforcement challenges. The Council's problem statement is no longer valid. It is time to stop trying to force a square peg in a round hole.

Recommendation
    1) Maintain the Status Quo (management under the GHL).
    2) Work towards a compensated re-allocation transfer mechanism through purchase, instead of leasing, that would benefit all recreational anglers. This would voluntarily retire commercial ownership of halibut, and transfer it back to the public sector through a market-based, best economic value approach.

I heard something about this today. Would like to know a little more. Im not sure how or if it will ever effect private anglers. Kinda sounds like the saltwater guides might be getting a bum rap. Im not sure I understand the entire management plan though.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Halibut is a really complex problem. They have rebounded in a big way in SE AK. Can we ever go back to a 1 any size limit? Nope! The guides up in Icy will kill so many big halibut that the GHL in SE AK will not be able to support it. They have no "off" button when it comes to halibut fishing, and once again SE AK will exceed it's GHL. The reverse slot limits are great. As abundance grows, narrow the slow, or vice versa. In my opinion, all anglers in AK should be on a reverse slot limit. Guided and unguided.

As far as a catch sharing plan.. it'll happen. The powers that be want it, and it'll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Halibut is a really complex problem. They have rebounded in a big way in SE AK. Can we ever go back to a 1 any size limit? Nope! The guides up in Icy will kill so many big halibut that the GHL in SE AK will not be able to support it. They have no "off" button when it comes to halibut fishing, and once again SE AK will exceed it's GHL. The reverse slot limits are great. As abundance grows, narrow the slow, or vice versa. In my opinion, all anglers in AK should be on a reverse slot limit. Guided and unguided.

As far as a catch sharing plan.. it'll happen. The powers that be want it, and it'll happen.
    I am not sure I understand this. But I am and have always been in favor of slot limits. The charters and guides use photos of barn door halibut as a very effective marketing tool. We need to educate the public that the big ones are the females and the breeding stock. Most of the charter operators dont care because its a feather in their cap to bring back several big fish. To be fair I have heard of some Charter operators that will give a free charter to a client that releases one of the big females. MY HATS OFF TO YOU. When my daughter was 9 years old we were in Seward and a charter had 6 fish hanging at the boardwalk that were over 100lb. when she saw them she almost started crying. The charter clients had big smiles as the were having their picture taken. After she got done telling them about how they were killing off all the breeding stock and they should be ashamed of themselves, they were not smiling any more, only me and the tourists standing there were smiling. I was very proud of her. I don't see any reason to keep a Halibut that is over 100lb. They are not very good to eat and they are the females. The bottom line is we have to educate the public, and maybe provide some sort of incentive to release these big females.
    A CLOSE CALL IS A FREE LESSON

Unfortunately as long as it is legal they will kill them. Bring on the slot for 3A. The catch sharing plan will just let the charters continue to kill the large fish.

3A is going to be 1 fish a day very soon. The Catch Sharing Plan gives you the opportunity to obtain a second fish at a cost. Its definitely controversial. Personally I think a slot limit is a great idea for both Commercial and Sport Fishing. Im not for the Catch Sharing Plan because I feel like it caters to the wealthy charter cliental, not all anglers, and has the potential for putting smaller charter companies out of business if they cant afford to buy quota to offer their clients. Personally Im for a 1 fish a day limit, resident or non resident, and Im for a slot limit all the way around to help protect the fishery. We might have some slim years economically in the sport and commercial fisheries but we will be better off in the long run.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

there was comment on the new regulations in the Anchorage NEWS paper to day July 18 page B1 read an comment to the powers that control it
    every thing you need to know about the new regulations that want to change is there the story is by TONY WEAVER so do our thing an pass it on to our friends ASAP the numberes count I thing SID

A 1 fish limit will not suffice, IMO. Some real unintended consequences exist when you drop the charter fleet down to a 1 fish limit.

1. Average size halibut will go up. Those 14lb halibut don't do it anymore, when you can only catch one. You could make a very strong argument that the breeders take a bigger hit when you have a 1 fish, any size limit.

2. More people shift to the private sector.

As I said before, a reverse slot, 2 fish limit for 3a would be perfect.

And, I am only in favor of the GAF IF the actual pounds are recorded for each and every halibut caught, and counted against the IFQ. Just like the commercial boys do it. No averages.