Thread: Boat decal remover

Default Boat decal remover

So I've been contemplating the removal of my side decals on my Wooldridge. I have heard it can be a real bear of a job, and I have also heard of removers you can get to assist in the job.
    I figured there must be something out there readily available that would work.
    Seeing as how the decals are vinyl, I decided to try PVC (PolyVinylChloride) primer, PVC solvent cement and ABS solvent cement. I tried the ABS because as a plumber, I have seen what it will do to auto paint if you spill it on your rig......
    Anyway, to make a long story short, the PVC primer is amazing. Brush it on, wait a few minutes, peel off the old decal, glue residue and all. Cheap, very effective and readily available. I recomend a mask with a VOC filter and chemical resistant gloves to avoid frying your vitals.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Thanks for the tip. I've always heard its pretty tough going. So are ya planning on leaving it bare or putting on new vinyl?
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I've always heard its pretty tough going. So are ya planning on leaving it bare or putting on new vinyl?
    New vinyl. I sold my outboard jet Sport and bought a used Sport with an inboard/jet pump. The Red decals are a bit weathered, so I'm recovering with Black.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I would use a heat gun/putty knife to start with and then primer to clean off the left over. I hate using stinky chemicals.

I want to remove the sticker "Weldcraft" on the transome it is right where the name of the boat would go. I have a half painted haul. Was your haul painted or just stickers? i dont want to wreck the Zolatone
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Heat gun worked well on my glass boat.

Last winter two of my buddys put new decals on their Wooldrdige Sport Drifters. One was an '08, the other a '99.

The old decal on the '08 came off pretty easy with a heat gun. The decal on the '99 came of in teeny tiny pieces and was a pretty tedious job.

I'd recommend starting with the heat gun and see if you can get it to come off easily. If not, resort to chemicals or other means.

Good luck!

I wouldn't use any of these chemicals near paint of any sort.
    Ended up peeling the stickers off (mostly!) in the hot sun. The PVC primer worked well for getting those annoying little bits off, as well as any adhesive residue.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Has anyone tried the rubber eraser wheel they sell at Hi-Tech paint? We use that for decal removal on company vehicles and it takes everything off including the glue and does not harm the paint under it.

Heat gun or park it in the sun on a nice hot day.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Heat gun or park it in the sun on a nice hot day.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    Where's the fun in that? Nothing like breathing some VOC fumes. No need to have any beer kicking around.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Once I get the boat back in the driveway, I'm thinking about pulling my old beat up vinyl off the sides and either polishing it up a little and leaving it bare or getting new stickers from Hewescraft. Just hard to imagine what it would look like bare. I've never seen one without the stickers.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I have yet to try this stuff, but I have been told it is the only way to go. There are several YouTube videos about how it works as well.
    The next boat I have to do I will certainly be getting some.

http://crystaltek.us.com/crystaltek-vinyl-off.htm