Thread: Best Subforum to post in for..........

Default Best Subforum to post in for..........

.......asking the knowledgable members/AK locals for advice on a 10-14 day Alaska vacation. Locations, accommodations, activities, etc. Thanks

Good question. I suppose the camping forum might be appropriate, but it somewhat depends on what you're looking to do. The hiking forum might cover some of your activities if you're looking for such, as might the freshwater and saltwater fishing forum. I guess we don't have a general purpose all-things-Alaska forum, but perhaps we should consider it.

Thanks Brian

This forum seems to have a lot of lower 48ers as members on here. I think it would be great to have a subforum for people like myself and others that only get to visit for vacation to ask about places to visit, sights to see, hotels and lodges locals can recommend and activities visitors can do all in one subforum.

The trip we are planning could take a different path depending upon the feedback from the locals in-the-know. Trying to figure out what may be best or best-bang-for-your-buck. Do we want to rent an RV and stay at various campgrounds? Rent a car and stay in moderate hotels in multiple towns? Rent a cabin through VRBO or the like, that is centrally located to various activities (rafting, fishing, hiking, fishing charters, etc).

I'm sure there are other travel sites i could visit but feel there is no better info than from local outdoorsman on a site like you have here. WOuld rather have a locals persective rather than a travel site looking to steer me towards the tourist traps.

1 Vote for "Alaska Travelers / Visitors" Subforum.

47% of our forum community are Alaskan, which gives us a great mix of locals and visitors. I like the idea of a new forum for this; something that covers road trips, cruising the Inside Passage, and flying to and within the state. Making it broader than just the road system would probably draw enough interest to keep it fairly busy. Brian, what do you think about "Alaska Travel: Cruising, Flying and Road Trips"? Or do we need a better title that is more attractive to outdoors folks?

Next question: where to park it?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Probably in "More Forums". I like the idea. Alaska Relocation and living dosnt really cover it. As well as no other forums really touch just simply vacationing throughout alaska if the vacation isnt strictly for fishing or hunting. Maybe "Alaska The great State" or "Everything Alaska". Maybe just call it the Odds and Ends Forum.
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

I would think the "Alaska Outdoor Transportation" area would be appropriate. Just below the Alaska RV subforum. The transprotation forums tend to get a lot of views so if a new subforum is brought in it may have a better chace of more participation with an easier view to the members. Michael, I like your title suggestion. I think it fits perfect. If you decide to make such a forum I just may be the first to post a thread. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    ....Next question: where to park it?

-Mike
    "Where to park it?" should be the name of the road trips forum...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Just use the hunting forum as its a catch all. It now has sparkplug repair and couple boots,fixing zippers and so on.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you