Thread: Question about this G Loomis rod

Default Question about this G Loomis rod

So I just purchased my very first G Loomis rod. Its a Steelhead series rod 1025s GL3. I have a fly rod but I wanted to have a spinner rod too so I purchased this to try for silvers and steelhead. I am kinda curious if this rod will be able to handle big Chinooks from shore.

That should be plenty of rod for silvers. While I am sure that will be a great rod it's a shame they are allowed to still put the Loomis name on them. Check out North Fork Composits if you want a real Loomis.

Fine for steelhead and silvers, but I'd be happier with a rod set up for 30# line and up to 6 oz weights for kings, especially from shore. On our boat the 1084C is our general purpose salmon rod, along with 1265C for mooching. With both of those we've had to chase bigger kings when they make especially long runs.

In any case, I'd want lots of line and plenty of room to move if chasing kings from shore with your rod rated for 17# line and 1 oz wts.

I've used a Loomis 1025 IMX rod as a king rod for lots of years without a problem. But that's for Su Valley kings, not Kenai. The size and speed of the water and the average size of the fish should be your guide. Proximity to other fisherman plays in there, too. Catching kings on a 6' cheapo spinning rod with 10# test is no problem if you're in the right kind of water. For bigger water/bigger fish I prefer Lamiglas Kenai Guide model rods. Good memories and sentimental value favor those.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    The size and speed of the water and the average size of the fish should be your guide. Proximity to other fisherman plays in there, too.
    Man, that's an important distinction. Glad you brought it up!

Thanks for the replies folks !! I am not planning to fish Kenai chinooks from shore at all. I dont have a boat so I will use charters and their fishing gear lol.

I did fish Mat-su valley this year for kings (landed a nice ~25lb fish) and I am sure that is where I will be fishing for kings next year again. Maybe Kasilof this year depending on EO. I am also planning to go to Washington state for some spring chinooks. I guess I got it now that 1025s GL3 will not handle big kings in swift currents.

Don't discount it completely. If you're casting and drifting a lighter rod is a great tool and may work well. If you want to toss out a side planer or a heavy weight to hold a spin-n-glo on a slide rig? A light rod probably isn't the best choice. I prefer to use the lightest rods and lines that are practical for landing a fish. Other guys have different approaches. Whatever works!

I am thinking about ordering Shimano Stardic CI4 reel for this 1025S GL3. Would you recommend CI4 3000 or CI4 4000 to go with my rod if I wanna fish all species of salmon in Alaska ?