Thread: Seward Silvers and Sea Lions

Default Seward Silvers and Sea Lions

Spent the weekend chasing Silvers out at Cheval Narrows and Pony Cove. We marked LOTS of fish but the bite wasn't very fast. As usual for this time of year, we caught our fair share of Pinks but we had to spend a little more time and effort on the Silvers this time.

When we catch fish, I typically hang them off the side of the boat to let them bleed and wash some of the slime off. We do this for Halibut as well as Silvers. The fish don't come into the boat until it's time to go. On Friday evening out at Pony, we pulled up not too far from some rocks and started fishing. My wife caught a good Silver and I hung it of the side of the boat as usuall. Then all of a sudden, a Sea Lion appeared at the back of the boat and took the fish off the stringer. A few minutes later, I was trying to net a fish and a Sea Lion grabbed it and ran. Before it completely spooled the line off the reel, I was able to lock down the drag and break off.

I've never lost fish to Sea Lions before and to lose two within a few minutes of each other was interesting to say the least. Now I suppose I'll have to add Sea Lions to my list of stuff to look out for while fishing.

been that way for multiple years.

some days it pays to reel in quick, dispatch and place in cooler.

if you like to wash off, dump buckets of sea water in your big cooler. I usually cut a gill to bleed.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    been that way for multiple years.

some days it pays to reel in quick, dispatch and place in cooler.

if you like to wash off, dump buckets of sea water in your big cooler. I usually cut a gill to bleed.

Chris
    We put a garbage can with a hole in the bottom on the swim step, cut the gills and toss 'em in the can, dump a bucket of water in there every so often, works great.

limon,

So does Derek, but I didn't have the dive platform then.

glad you mentioned that technique, I had forgotten it.

Chris

teachin them lions to jump on the boat eh? I put them in my fish hold when I see a sea lion or even a seal - break the gills with my fingers...throw 5 or 15 gallons of water in there with the drain open then follow with 5 gallons every now and then.

what these guys said....

I bleed all my fish in my big hold in the back of my raider, then gut/gill and transfer to ice after they have bled out. Had a sea lion target me at Amalga harbor a month ago when I was out for chums for bait......after he tried to take the second one...I got the heck out of there. Those boys that close to the boat intentionally is not my idea of a good time. So, any of these things mentioned will work, heck a 5 dollar rubbermaid tote will suffice, just cut both gills, bleed em out and get em on ice and you can't get better fish than that.

Took this on Saturday at Cheval Narrows. Can you identify the perpetrator and the stolen property? Sealion July 13 Fishing in Seward 076.jpg

the governor of South Carolina with a big ol' chaw??

Silvers tend to belly burn (when the gastric juices break down the guts and meat) faster than any other salmon. Gilled, gutted and belly iced ASAP will give you a product you won't even recognize if you have been stringing fish or leaving the guts in for any time at all. Seriously.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    teachin them lions to jump on the boat eh?.........
    It's coming. I thought I was going to have one in my boat in Pony Cove once.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Silvers tend to belly burn (when the gastric juices break down the guts and meat) faster than any other salmon. Gilled, gutted and belly iced ASAP will give you a product you won't even recognize if you have been stringing fish or leaving the guts in for any time at all. Seriously.
    INdeed, guts bad.....in all fish. I am curious though, I have rarely gilled my iced fish.....is it just to get that much more blood out?

The gills break down and start the spoiling process really fast. I have a small boat so have never really gilled, gutted and iced them - I truly believe what HD is saying though. Just bleeding them makes a helluva difference.

I bet a face full of pepper spray would make a sea lion think twice about stealing a second fish.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    The gills break down and start the spoiling process really fast.
    and when you bleed them there is often congealed blood stuck in the gills, so getting that out of there is important to keep the bacteria level down.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I bet a face full of pepper spray would make a sea lion think twice about stealing a second fish.
    Of course were one to experiment with this they should never, ever tell anyone, as sealions are federally protected...just sayin'.

So what happens when one of these things jumps in the back of a boat? What do you do? What can you do?

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    So what happens when one of these things jumps in the back of a boat? What do you do? What can you do?

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    Whatever is necessary to save your boat...and the lives of everyone on board!!!! My harpoon handle (without the head) is readily available, and I would have no problem poking multiple holes in anything trying to sink my boat.

What are the legalities of putting some holes in one while it's on your boat.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

One doesn't want to mess around with the MMPA. I saw a Sea Lion come on boat and it took the shortest possible route back to the water. Wouldn't have wanted to be in their way.....also, they move very quickly on a boat!

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Give it the fish.