Thread: Newbie to rivers

Default Newbie to rivers

Hey every one I'm new to the forum and new to running rivers. I picked up a 18 foot with a 115 mercury. It's been sitting awhile but I know it ran good, bought it from my uncle. And I need to clean it up and go threw the hole boat want to make sure she's in tip top, right now I'm dealing with trailer stuff, tires shoring up the wiring and stuff before I bring it home. Any advise on what I I should checkout other than steering fuel and battery/wiring also what equipment such as paddle, safety emergencies items should I need. Any good books on running rivers? Best anchors how much line? I'd like to educate myself as much as possible before going out, so I'm no that idiot out there messing up everyone's day

A few more details might help with the tips and tricks of running rivers. What kind of boat is it? Is the outboard and jet or prop? Do you have any specific rivers or types of rivers you were thinking of running (open wide and deep versus narrow, windy and shallow)?

Basic safety equipment I would make sure to have would be:
    - Two paddles at least
    - Life jackets for everyone onboard
    - Sat phone and/or SPOT type GPS locator
    - dry bag with change of clothes and fire starting materials

If you are running shallow rivers, I would definitely include a come-along with plenty of rope/cable, etc...

There are lots of others in here with a lot more riverboat type experience that can surely add to what I have listed above.

Hews craft semi v I believe out board with 90 jet I'd eventually like to run a lot of rivers, I was going to start running deshka landing to deshka, mainly and maybe do some trips up the yetna. Only because I'm most familiar there, riding with other people

Come along good idea I've met guys who carried chainsaw winches lol ill put that on my list, sat phone, gps locator marine radio won't be sufficient?

Quote Originally Posted by Brokejoke4x View Post
    Come along good idea I've met guys who carried chainsaw winches lol ill put that on my list, sat phone, gps locator marine radio won't be sufficient?
    Marine radio has limited range and requires that someone be there on the other end to hear you. A GPS locator (SPOT, EPIRB, etc...) will let people know you need help no matter where you are or whether there is a live person listening in at the time.

Ok gotcha, so maybe a gps locator instead of marine radio? I am already planning on getting a handheld radio for 4x4ing and other outdoors stuff, maybe just a handheld along with a locator

It seems like jet boats are such simple machines. They sure take a lot of abuse though and break. Running rivers is not as easy as it may seem either. Be ready to spend some money too. If you can't pass this simple test, boating will be hard to swallow.... go to the boat shop, burn a $100 bill to ashes, then go inside. If you can't do that then boating will always be hard for you.

My single biggest piece of advice is make sure the motor works really good. Maybe take it to a shop first off and have them go through it?

Next, get somebody to run to the deshka with you on your first run that has a bunch of jet boating knowledge. A few lessons on weight and balance, how and where to get to shore, reading rivers, eddy in/out, and what speeds you need to run at to be effective will become quickly obvious with the help of somebody else. A few quick informal lessons might take a year off your learning curve.

I would not recommend learing on the deshka right now as the water is quite low and there are hundreds of rocks just below the surface that don't make a wake due to slow water. Anything past the weir right now is dangerous for the bottom of your boat unless you have done it many times. Pm if you ever want to follow Someone up for your first time

good clarification. Ya, to the deshka, not up it.

Ya I always joke about how every time I take my boat, snowmachine out afte you pay for all your gas you still need to just take a 100 dollar bill out of your wallet an tear it in half.

Thanks guys this is really helping, I do understand the cost as I also have sleds and a 4x rig, as far as taking anything to the shop, that won't be needed as I know what I'm doing as far as wrenching. I will also be building a parts and migiver kit to throw in with my tool kit. As far as pming you I will have to sometimes thanks! My uncle is the only one I know that I'd trust on a river and we work opposite schedules. And ya just to the deshka as far as water conditions I don't know when or even if ill be able to go this year. Moving August wan to do some work to my truck then trailer then boat and all with a one year old lol

Take a look at the rope winch/come along. If you run a decent size anchor line then the rope come along is a good option. I have about 200 foot of anchor line so I can really reach out there for a tie off point. Also consider a high lift jack, two or three basketballs or bouy balls with hand air pump.

As Daved stated "A few quick informal lessons might take a year off your learning curve"

AND save your wallet a huge dent or two! (pun intended)
    Mike

Might get a free safety inspection and take a boat safety class to get you started. I don't see an active thread on it, but if you go down to Good Samaritan Boaters! thread, post #7 is CG Boating Safety. I'm sure he can put you in touch with someone that puts on such things.

Let us know what you learn.

Heck, just by reading these forum posts and following along on the rivers with all you fellas, and of course, Toshiro, "Lord of the Jetboats", I learned as much in my first summer as it would take the normal person probably two or three summers to learn. Don't be afraid to ask. It will save you time and money... Good Luck man...
    Quote Originally Posted by HCL View Post
    As Daved stated "A few quick informal lessons might take a year off your learning curve"

AND save your wallet a huge dent or two! (pun intended)
    Mike
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Multiple jacks, basketballs rope winches I'm going to need a bigger boat, hehe. ya I was going to take that class, they told me it won't be to useful because its more orientated towards oceans but I figured it wouldn't hurt, but then work got in the way

I still need a kicker, any thoughts on size I was thinking 9.9

Ya deshka no joke i took my old hewes craft up there on my maiden voyage and it was quite the show go somewere else. Id reall lear about that jet unit make sure your impeller is good id get a stainless one with a polyeurothane liner they cost twice as much but last so much longer than the aluminum ones its incredible check the bearings in your unit and the rubber impeller you wannna learn about thw thing so you you have to learn about it balls deep in a cold river . Thats what i did

Best thing to do is just get out there your gonna learn quick what you need boating is an adventure almost everytime you go