Thread: Pow king update

Default Pow king update

Hows the king fishing going now around the POW islands? Is the silvers starting to show yet ?

The silvers have been around for over a month. You can't not catch coho right now, king fishing is still very good.

yep. Ak enviro is spot on. still releasing kings to get coho limits. Yesterday I had my 30 cohos and 5 kings by 7:40am. Today I went to another spot and it took an hour longer. Yesterday I had one of my hotter king bites, with lots of cohos mixed in. I switched over to herring heads to cut down on the amount of kings hooked, and we still had to shake 7 on the heads.

Limits change to 1 a year now for non-res.

I've a week before I'm back on the water, I'm hoping the kings stick around. As crazy as its been this year, I suspect we'll be having great king fishing through mid August!

You'll be here right in time to park yourself at flat rock and wait for a hog...

Pineapple was really good today. East Addy was crazy yesterday. Felix was smoking last week, as was the cape and the tree. Still trying to find a place where there isn't kings.

Another great day. Had our 30 cohos by 7:30am. Released 5 kings too, as my guys where at there annual limit. Went halibut fishing in a new spot, and picked up a nice 28lb average, or biggest being 44lbs, right at 45". (we have a reverse slot to work around) Finished that up at around 10:30am. We had gotten our annual limits of lingcod and yellow eye, and they had 2 days of black bass limits which were enough, so we went back salmon fishing. We explored a new area, and soon found a wide open coho bite. We had 10-20 cohos swirling under the boat, and the guys were sight fishing for them. Lots of fun. These 5 guys will go home with 140lbs of fillets each, for 3 days of fishing. Not too bad.

Here was day 1 of these guys trip. 5 guys in this group, one must have ran to the bathroom. We were in by 1:30am with limits of every species, except short a few ling that we got the next day. As you can see Mr. Ireland, POW has some good fishing. Annual limits on species keep us from doing this every day though.

Thanks 270ti. Im glad to hear about the annual limits !!! I want my children to see what we can see. Great picture, fantastic....

Just chatted with JH at the KFC lodge .....her words " a killer year!".....fully booked. Next year bookings are already happening. My fall partners were up there last month. Finished the last day with a 152# flattie. Just made it outside the reverse slot limit. Be up there in 60 days...give or take..for the freshwater Coho run.

KFC lodge . is that kingfisher lodge

Rather epic day today. Got our limit of cohos in under an hour. Due to annual limits, we didn't focus too much on kings, as we got a pair of 30lb kings yesterday, and my group of 3 wanted to save the last one for tomorrow.

We found a great halibut bite. Started our drift in 40ft of water. We used pink jigs (12oz) tipped with a bit of salmon gut. I had my guys drop to the bottom, reel up 10 cranks, and repeat. We caught big halibut on shelves at 80ft, 130ft, and 150ft, as we worked this drop off, that was no longer that 100 yards. We ended up with a 38lb, 42lb, and 43lb that we could keep. We released a (approx) 48lb, 60lb, 80lb, 80lb, 90lb, 110lb, and 120lb in our quest to get some under 45" halibut. I swore that the 120lb halibut was over 68", but the second I saw her I knew she was short. She ran so hard and far out, it was unreal. I'll tell you what, that shallow water jigging is a hoot when those halibut slam those jigs. Those guys might have whiplash in the morning. Most hit on the reel up, some at the very 10th crank, before the drop. Epic.... My 3 guys were worn out.. and stoked.

Thanks 270ti. I can feel the excitement on the boat. What a fishery .outstanding. I love to hear about the halibut also. I've been to Alaska many times and never fished the salt , never mind fishing for halibut ! . The average weights are insane! they are big, big fish. Keep up the good work

Weighed in a 47.7lb king today that we got off of Flat Rock, and it should be leading the Craig/Klawock derby. Those guys were very grateful they didn't limit out on kings the first few days they fished. Got to be careful with that 1 annual limit, and the Skeena kings showing up.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Weighed in a 47.7lb king today that we got off of Flat Rock, and it should be leading the Craig/Klawock derby. Those guys were very grateful they didn't limit out on kings the first few days they fished. Got to be careful with that 1 annual limit, and the Skeena kings showing up.
    Thats awesome 270 thanks for the reports. I need to get down there.

Do the big Skeena kings roll through late july ,early august? That's the kind of fish that can be conceived " fish of lifetime " Whens the best time ti hit them?

Quote Originally Posted by Micky_Ireland View Post
    KFC lodge . is that kingfisher lodge
    Yes sir, That is correct. 270ti is giving you the straight dope!!