Thread: Laws On Bringing Guns Into Alaska?

Default Laws On Bringing Guns Into Alaska?

Hi everyone:
    Looking for feedback from forum members on rules/reg's as to how one goes about transporting handguns into state of Alaska by Air & cruise ship without running into legal problems? Also advise from those who know the in's and out's on what needs to be done and how to do it.

Thanks Much,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dave0248@roadrunner.com View Post
    Hi everyone:
    Looking for feedback from forum members on rules/reg's as to how one goes about transporting handguns into state of Alaska by Air & cruise ship without running into legal problems? Also advise from those who know the in's and out's on what needs to be done and how to do it.

Thanks Much,
    Dave
    I don't know about Cruise Ships, but check out the ALASKA AIRLINES information link for transporting firearms.

Generally speaking, once in you're in Alaska the guns laws are MUCH more relaxed than the Republic of Kalifornia.

http://www.alaskaair.com/www2/help/f...latedItems.asp
    Last edited by Bush Flyer; 05-18-2007 at 00:11.

Wink bringing guns

The airlines generally aren't a problem. As long as your gun is in a locked airline-approved case they don't care much. The problem comes with TSA/airport security and ammo. I'm sure the TSA has a uniform policy regarding ammo on airplanes, but none of the TSA people I've ever talked to has had any idea what it is. In my experience, they're pretty arbitrary. You may get a screener who doesn't care at all as long as it is in a checked bag, or you may get one who absolutely refuses to let it on the airplane.....or anything in between. I've had them give me grief over the amount (even though nobody could tell me if there was a limit on the # of rounds or what the limit might be), the fact that my handloads were not in factory packaging, and (this was bizarre) the fact that I didn't have a receipt for it. I think it basically depends on how much of a PITA the individual screener wants to be.
    I have no idea what the cruise ships do about firearms, but if you take the ferry up from Bellingham its no big deal.
    You may want to check into the restrictions regarding bringing Californians into Alaska. I think there is some support for tightening up the regulations on that.

Default Would worry more about the trip BACK!

Honest....

The TSA does not regulate the quantity of ammunition in an bag, the airlines does this. Go to the TSA website and look it up.

Alaska Airlines allows up to 50 pounds ammunition per checked bag. Go to their website and look it up.

The only problems I have ever had was a dimwit AK Airlines employee who was probably from Kalifornika. After she read me the riot act, I showed her the printed pages from the AK Air website and asked to speak to her supervisor, that was the end of that. This only occurred once, and I fly about every 3 months into Anchoraganistan for shopping or Fairbanks on business for the past 20 years or so.

When I moved up here to Alaska the airline was the easiest way to get my hanguns here. each airline is different in their regulations, so check with your particular airline. I had mine in a lockable case inside a piece of luggage. the guns were easier to fly than my dogs were....