Thread: Yamaha steering alignment problem...

Default Yamaha steering alignment problem...

Don't know if anybody else has had this problem but... my 2005 Kodiak 400 4x4 seems to be out of alignment i guess. The handlebars have to be turned a little to the right to go straight down the road. Anyone know how to adjust it back to straight? I was also wondering about how my quad tracks when pushing it by hand. I can tell that if I crank the bars all the way to one side or the other it seems like the wheels don't track evenly. If turned left the left wheel is turned harder than the right, and vice versa. I know this is a quad but dang if the wheel is turned and you are trying to push it by hand the thing won't move on concrete. Normal, or do I have a problem? Thanks, schmidty

The inner tire should be turned sharper. Think about it this way... If you crank the bars hard over and do a tight (full) circle, the inner tire is traveling along the path of a smaller circle than the outside tire. Thus, it has to turn sharper. As far as how hard it is to push by hand when it's cranked hard over, that's probably due to the tight turning radius. The more the wheels are turned, the harder it will be to push. And for the bars not lining up... well, I don't have the same machine as you, but there should be some steering linkage you can adjust to make it ride right. Might help to invest in a service manual.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Check your tie rods. If it is a new machine, the shop may not have properly aligned the wheels before letting it off the showroom. You can simply screw the tie rod ends "in" on the side the bars need to turn toward to straighten up, and turn the other side "out" to make sure you have alignment.

I don't know how mechanically inclined you are but I will try to explain the alignment procedure.

When you start messing with the tie rod ends, remember that one is a left hand thread and the other is a right hand, like a turnbuckle. You can loosen the jamb nuts on both the tie rod ends then turn the tie rod itself to make the adjustment. Don't forget to tighten all the jamb nuts when you are done though.

You want a very slight "toe out" when you are done. Front of the rim slightly (1/4" - 1/8") further apart than the rear of the rim. Measure the furthest point on the rim you can get to from the hub both front and rear (and level with the hub) for these measurements (don't use the tire).

If you end up with "toe in", the machine will have a tendency to dart around at higher speeds.

The turning on concrete is normal. They are a bugger when trying to push while turning! It's a differential thing kinda like Rod was explaining. If you put your truck in 4wd and try to turn sharp on dry pavement you will get the same result.

Hope this helps....
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thanks for the info guys. Might sound scary but I'm actually a Jet Engine mechanic, but luckily, I don't have to "align" any jets. The concern about pushing it on pavement being hard is more of an observation due to the fact I have two quads. My 86 bayou 300 tracks perfectly together and pushes easy on pavement. The kodiak does not. I understand what you mean about the inner tire going a shorter distance, but I guess I just figured that since my bayou is so easy to push and the tires seem so exactly lined up, that maybe something was wrong with the kodiak. I'll adjust the tie rods and see what happens. Thanks, schmidty

Default recall

My wife has a 2006 kodiak 400 4x4, and it had a recall about a year ago for something with the tie rod ends. The dealer that i bought the machine from called and told me about the recall, made me an appointment for that week, and had the machine back to me the day after i dropped it off. Might be worth checking in to.

Jake

Default Got her fixed!

Well, I broke the tie rods loose, jacked up the front end and adjusted them until my handlebars were straight and both tires were aligned.

I tell ya what, it was hard making sure the tires were straight but I think I did ok. I used a broom stick to make sure they were straight to the back tire, and when I took it for a drive she went straight with no pulling, even if I let off the handlebars.

Had a really good ride down Transmitter road. I was a little nervous at getting going but I rode most of the way around 45 - 50 MPH and didn't have any problems.