Thread: Cordova

Default Cordova

Hey folks - I'm going to find myself in Cordova on the 1st this year with a group of fine gents. I'm looking for some advice / pointers for where and how to get after some ducks (and silvers too). Truth be told - it is for my bachelor party. We're not shooting for the Cordova version of the movie The Hangover or anything, but it would be fun to search out some good duck hunting and a little fishing. I'm pretty sure we're renting a pair of canoes, unless you think that doesn't help. Any advice is appreciated, except: "Don't get married." It's happening boys and girls. I cannot be dissuaded... -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Congradulations Greg...sorry i've never been to Cordova. Will she be there with you, if so, it is a perfect opportunity to teach her how to clean ducks and felet salmon. I would not show her how to simply remove the duck breast until after she has the opportunity of fully dressing out a duck, plucking, etc on the first 100 or so that you bag. Bud
    Wasilla

Hahahaha, well thanks for the advice, but no, she is NOT coming to the bachelor party. That's just best for everybody. And she's no stranger to ducks and salmon, but it has been well established that the cleaning of ducks and fish is something that is firmly my responsibility.

I'm surprised you never hunted Cordova. I figured you woulda checked it out at some point, as big into birding as you are. There's a lot of places around the state I want to check out, both for ducks and for big game, but Cordova has definitely been on my wishlist since the first time I went there (for work). -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

with canoes, Eyak and Ibec rivers. (5 mile and 7 mile is what you'll prob hear) should be plent of fishing and pond jumping for days along either one.

Make sure you bite a duck head during the wedding!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Make sure you bite a duck head during the wedding!
    Hahahaha! Still haven't had the chance to utilize that dispatching method since last year's conversation, but I agree that the wedding is the perfect venue to give it a shot! Hilarious...

Lane - thanks for the advice. We're there for 2 days, so maybe we'll float one river each day. Can't wait!
    My signature is awesome.

Ducks will often feed on the flats during low tide, then look for fresh water to loaf on during high tide. Check out Google Earth for some likely looking spots. I have not hunted the Cordova road system, but have hunted SE of there on a few occasions and have had great shooting. Would suggest you go to the Powder House for dinner and beers and see if you can't get some locals to give you some tips. With canoes I would try the sloughs across the highway as suggested. Oh and remember goose season doesn't open on the first there.

As an aside, my grandfather killed 96 mallards and brought them home to my grandmother the first week of their marriage (the limit was 24 - he did only hunt 4 of the 7days that week). He passed away about 12 years before she did, but I don't think she ever really foregave him. So good choice not bringing the wife to be.

Congrats sir. I guess now G is for Gelded
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Congrats sir. I guess now G is for Gelded
    Hahaha, hadn't read that before, funny stuff! I wanted to resurrect this thread, since the date is rapidly approaching, and I figured maybe some folks with some more info to share are reading now that we are less than a week before the season opener. Any other Cordova advice? Everything down to canoe rentals - seems like we're having some issues getting canoes. Don't forget fishing - I hear the silvers are doing well. Any tips about anything Cordova will be appreciated. Thanks, and happy hunting folks! -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Hey Greg, my family and I will be out in Cordova this weekend too. I was there a couple years ago for a moose hunt, but we fished and chased ducks too. As mentioned above, the Eyak and Ibeck rivers are good for silvers and are only a little ways out of town. Both are fishable from the bank, but you have to walk a bit to get on the Eyak. We jump shot ponds along the road with success. It would help to have both a dog and canoe, but neither are a necessity. Alaganik slough is another place to fish - you can fish right at the parking area or walk out about a mile along a swamp path (you'll see it from the parking area) and access a great sandbar. Watch the tides there, because you have to cross part of the slough to get to that sandbar. I'll be driving a charcoal gray Chevy 2500HD with a white topper. Say hi if you see us - congrats on your impending marriage!

Quote Originally Posted by rfm View Post
    Hey Greg, my family and I will be out in Cordova this weekend too. I was there a couple years ago for a moose hunt, but we fished and chased ducks too. As mentioned above, the Eyak and Ibeck rivers are good for silvers and are only a little ways out of town. Both are fishable from the bank, but you have to walk a bit to get on the Eyak. We jump shot ponds along the road with success. It would help to have both a dog and canoe, but neither are a necessity. Alaganik slough is another place to fish - you can fish right at the parking area or walk out about a mile along a swamp path (you'll see it from the parking area) and access a great sandbar. Watch the tides there, because you have to cross part of the slough to get to that sandbar. I'll be driving a charcoal gray Chevy 2500HD with a white topper. Say hi if you see us - congrats on your impending marriage!
    Hey thanks! Sorry, didn't read this until after I got back. We had a great time down there. We found a few ducks on Sunday and a couple more on Monday, but the fishing stole the show. Others steered us to the same place you did, and we found plenty of fish to keep us occupied, even with us all fishing flies, which is always a treat. Those silvers are huge too! I think one or two of them were big enough to be contenders in the Seward or Valdez derbies! We had a great time. Gotta give some props to Gary and Linda at the Cordova Rose Lodge for putting up with us. That's a really cool spot to stay, and they have a great setup for incoming hunters and fishermen, and are quite hospitable. -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Where ya'll the group of 6 hunting Alaganik Sun and Mon?

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Where ya'll the group of 6 hunting Alaganik Sun and Mon?
    Um.... uh-oh.... yes. Were we being ill-behaved?? I know there were some other folks in floating lay-in blinds on that lake near the parking lot, and we were trying not to interfere with their (... your?) hunting . For what it's worth, we knew we were a s**t show...
    My signature is awesome.

Uhmmmm Yeah.... Well just so you know, Ya'll limited me out on sun when I picked up the floater ya'll left in the pond. And my boy added the cripple that no one looked for to his limit. Pretty obvious no one looked for it as it had broke wing and one shot off leg. It wasn't going anywhere. We found it cause it was beating around trying. I couldn't find the ones ya'll shot and didn't retrieve on mon. But since sound carries a longgggg way, felt like I was right next to the van while everyone regaled each other with the stories. You guys did shoot 2 birds on mon as you said above. One landed in "6 or 7 ft of water so I didn't try" and the other "landed out in that grass somewhere so f it"..... Yes those are quotes..... Had I raised the tailgate of my pickup that morning you would have seen Lane Custom Homes and my phone number in big black letters. Since Lane is also my user name here I got nothing to hide, But....... I gotta say no one was impressed. Disgusting ethics!

Oh and forgot to mention the peppering my boy got mon. because there where 8 guys on a pond that can be shot across from anyplace on it. Thanks

Yikes... Well, I will start with an apology on the behalf of my group. There were a couple among us who had never hunted ducks before, and I had a talk with them after Monday morning about some of the behavior and talk I had seen that was unfavorable. Concerning the two lost birds - I am very glad that you ended up getting them. My buddy and I went back and forth about the "floater", thinking maybe it was or wasn't one of the ducks he had hit (I didn't see either duck land, because I was wallowing in a sink hole). I tried to walk out to it, but realized I'd be up over my waders. I was about to swim to it, but my friend assured me it wasn't a bird, rather a log breaking the surface. And to be honest, the more I looked at it, the more I thought he was correct. Now I feel like crap, because I know I should have swum out to it. Concerning the other crippled bird from Sunday, which your boy found in the grass: I am sure he found the bird somewhere very different from where the bird went down. Simply saying that he found it in the grass tells a lot, since it had landed in open water after being hit. I got to the spot as quick as I could and searched with my friend for over a half hour. It's always a tough decision to call off the search, but when they are mobile enough to get away from you, often no amount of searching will produce a bird. That your son found it is a stroke of great luck, and I'm happy he did.

Your quotes that suggest a dismissive attitude on our part for retrieving wounded birds strikes me with great surprise. I can vouch for four of the six of us having the respect and dedication to give whatever necessary effort to recover a downed bird, and I really don't think the other two are much, if any, different. I don't recall those quotes and would like to have heard them in context, but I can assure you that I went back into areas in which my friends had downed birds Sunday morning, helped them look, and found both birds. Regardless of the the smack talk that may have occurred at the van, we make the effort to retrieve the birds we wound and kill.

In any event, once again, my apologies. Sorry if the experience marred your weekend, I really am. Wish I could make it up to you somehow.
    My signature is awesome.

Greg, sun coulda gone down as you describe.... and I'm dang sure not the ethics police. When he found the crip in the grass at the edge of the pond I thought good, we saved it from feeding gulls or eagles. When found the floater, I thought.. sheez evidently they didn't have a boat.....I'll not say I've never lost a duck.... because I have, it happens. But it was what I saw and heard on Monday that really disappointed me. Your apology is not required, though appreciated. I must admit though I used the activitys of mon morning as a educational tool. We had quite the conversation mon morning while ya'll were shooting. Why we get up early, why when someone beats us to a spot we leave, why we are sure of whats within the fallout range of our shot pattern, and why we don't hunt water deeper than our waders without a boat. My oldest has a much better understanding now and My hope is he will help me pass these things on to his brothers and beyond, when I'm not around. Even though we hunt public land, living in CDV the boys have not experienced public land hunting. So don't feel you marred our hunt... you didn't. Respect your quarry, whatever size of critter it is...and convey the need for that respect to those around you.

Respect your quarry, whatever size of critter it is...and convey the need for that respect to those around you.

Well said. Rep inbound
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite