Thread: Homer marina gas prices

Default Homer marina gas prices

So my buddy fill up his boat at the Homer marina and has to pay $4.25 a gallon for gas. The price in town is $4.18 The price at the marina has been cheaper for you didn't have to pay the road tax but now that every boat owner is going out they can jack the prices up. So if you're coming from out of town, don't plan on saving any money by filling up at the marina. Also be aware of the highway being repaved upon where you might experience some delays.

I asked them why it was so much and they said you are paying a "marine tax" for the knuckleheads who spill oil and can't afford to clean it up. It goes into a giant slush fund for our wonderful politicians to play with. But who knows? With Petro Marine having a monopoly in Homer they can force you to pay 7.50 a gallon if they want. At least at the station in town, we can get air miles to fly to Mexico in the winter.

I always fill up in soldotna because I feel as if Im being held hostage down there. Its 50 miles down the road and gas is sometimes .40 cents more a gallon. All the other stuff is reasonable though and I have found prices at the gear shed to be some of the best in the state for equipment. The only problem with it is I have to pull myself off the water to go in there.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I just started this thread to make people aware of what's happening. The further away from Homer you get the cheaper gas/fuel amoung other things is cheaper. Is there a marine tax at other marinas (Seward, Whittier, Valdez, Anchorage etc) Yesterday was the first time gas at the marina was more than gas in town was. For about the last 3 weeks or so gas prices at the pumps here in town haven't gone up or down.

I used to gas up there all the time. Then I realized I seemed to get water in my gas. Assumed it was from the fuel dock.
    I now fuel up on the way down in Anchor point at Thurmonds. Never had a problem with their gas in three or four years of buying there.
    So the Homer fuel dock must have been the source of water in my gas.
    I keep my boat in Kasilof so I need to fuel up somewhere between there and Homer and Thurmonds has always worked well for me.
    Another issue with the Homer fuel dock is the tax is not added at the pump. So you think you are getting a goiod deal sometime only to find you still need to pay taxes on your gas at the register and it adds a bit to your bill.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"