Thread: How much Hunting hrs of light ?

Default How much Hunting hrs of light ?

Hi guys I'm heading over next yr to hunt dall sheep and moose in the Alaska range and was wondering how many hrs of hunting light I could expect in mid August to mid Sept?
    Thanks in advance.
    Andrew.

Google is your friend. Here is a good page to calculate from. If you know more details about where you will be and know a closer town to look up, you can get more detail, but Talkeetna should be a good reference and shouldn't be too far off. http://www.alaska.org/weather/daylight-hours/results Looks like around 6:00am to 10:00pm in mid August to about 7:30am to about 8:30pm in mid September.

Yeh I did do a fare bit of the google search and got very similar results but was watching a vid the other day with 3 guys hunting the Alaska range and taking a sheep at 12.15am in mid August. I was just curious as to wether the sun may set but its still light enough to shoot and hunt later into the night due to the suns shallow trajectory. Just thought I would ask the guys that hunt it yr in and out incase I was missing something.
    Thankyou for your reply.

What you need is Civil Twilight, which is a pretty good measure of usable daylight. There are calculators for that as well. Here's one: http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.php Select start/end of Civil Twilight from the drop down box and select Talkeetna, as mentioned, for a conservative AK Range reference. That time of the year at that location, you typically get about an hour and a half on each end of the sunrise and set, so an extra 3 hours of usable light each day. We do have really long twilight compared to less extreme latitudes, so it does make a big difference.

I have to say, though, 12:15a is still pretty dang dark in mid August in the Alaska Range, most likely not enough light to make a good shot. You sure it wasn't the Brooks? That would make more sense. Remember not to believe everything you see on TV. I'm sure it was 12:15 SOMEWHERE when they shot it
    My signature is awesome.

In early Aug. you could have shooting light left in the Brooks- depends on a ton of other factors though, weather, scope, terrain, etc. We lose daylight pretty fast that time of year so by end of Aug- probably not.

I believe the video was made by forum member "SDRHunter"- hopefully he can chime in.

On my AK range sheep hunt I recall that by midnight it was pretty dark but I was on the north side of the mountain. I couldn't have started a stalk, but could have finished one if I were in position and just waiting for the opening bell.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    but could have finished one if I were in position and just waiting for the opening bell.
    Yeah.......at fairly close range, it's hard not to see a white spot on a black page during almost any kind of light.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jawz View Post
    Hi guys I'm heading over next yr to hunt dall sheep and moose in the Alaska range and was wondering how many hrs of hunting light I could expect in mid August to mid Sept?
    Thanks in advance.
    Andrew.
    If your plan is a combo or back-to-back hunts for sheep/moose then you will be hunting in September after the moose opener. The Alaska Range is experiencing full darkness by then. Most likely you're referring to GMU 20A where the bulk of the moose seasons open on Sept 1 so using Delta Junction as a median average for that area, official sunrise on Sept 1st is 5:27 and sunset is just before 8 pm...plenty of hunting day. Bear in mind that the days are shortening rapidly -- 6 to almost 9 minutes between Sept 1st and the Autumnal Equinox on the 21st.

Except for the waterfowling regulations, Alaska doesn't have "shooting hours". If you can see, you can shoot but personal ethics do play a role here.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

And you might want VIDEO light, that shortens up the day too

Thanks for the replys again guys. Yes gmu 20A is one of the units listed by my guide for hunting so I think that's where I will be if its where the moose are at. Looks like I will have basically the same light as here in Australia for that time of yr just wasn't sure if it got dark dark or wether there was still some shooting light for a few hrs after actual sun set.

Ps I'm hunting with Max schwab.

Shooting light in August and September is not really a factor at all in my experience. But, you still have to set reasonable hours while hunting. Reason being is if you are hunting till the wee hours of the morning (say 2 AM), you will not have enough energy to get out of bed and go hunting in the morning. I have found that if I go to bed at a reasonable hour (say 9 or 10 PM), then I am well rested and I can get up at 5 or 6 AM and not be tired. But, on the other hand, if you are chasing a sheep or moose and you want to stay out late at least you have the option. You might be able to get away with going to bed late and getting up early for a couple of days, but if you are hunting for a week to 10 days eventually the sandman is going to catch up with you. Best to stick to reasonable hunting hours to maintain top performance.

Don't worry I'll be getting all the sleep I can it is as I said just something I had not considered to be able to hunt well past sunset.
    Thankyou again guys for the replys. I am very excited about this trip and I'm already looking at booking my next trip for mountain goats.

Very helpful. Thank you