Had an interview for a job in Kodiak on Thursday. It only pays $41,000 but with my military retirement I am thinking we could make it work.
Here are my questions:
1. I have looked at house prices and think we can handle the $300,000-400,000 range of medium sized Kodiak places. What are typical heating and power cost on Kodiak for a 3/4 bedroom 1800-2300 square foot house built in the last 20 years?
2. What are some typical things to think about for cost of living in Kodiak, that maybe I had not come across.
3. I have seen tons of photos, watched tons of you tube videos on the island and it looks rather amazing. Is it really as nice looking as my research shows, I have never been there. I have lived in Alaska lots of times; Anchorage, Sitka, Barrow, just never been there.
4. A big draw to small towns for us is the lack of a need to have new cars just to keep up with the Joneses, not that I am one to do that( nor the wive), but I have been places were you were looked down on for driving something 10 years old.
5. If we live south of the base it looks like that area, is about 5 miles to the base. Is this something that is safely bicycleable? I know about the hot and cold running bears, just don't know how close they are too town. In Sitka and Barrow they pretty much stayed away. Anchorage was always iffy.
6. Anything else you know or can add I'd appreciate it. I am finishing up the last of a 20 year career in Australia and ready to head home to Alaska.
7. What would be the minimum size/type boat to safely hunt around the island?
I'll have access to the commissary, exchange (Coast Guard exchanges are always tiny, not sure about Kodiaks) and base clinic so that should help things a bit too.
I will drop you. PM or you can call me anytime at 907 539 -1317
Because of the furlow they reset all the jobs. Now I am waiting on that part to filter through again.