Thread: Moose liver and heart preservation

Default Moose liver and heart preservation

Do you guys take liver and heart home to freeze?
    During the hunt we always eat liver and heart, but I would like to bring some home and possibly even freeze some for later. Does the liver and heart preserve well in the freezer? Usually our moose stays unfrozen 3-5 days, before we get it to an air cargo company to freeze and ship. Would you feel safe leaving the liver and heart unfrozen that long and would it still be good after being frozen for a few months?
    Thanks

We have frozen hearts from moose, caribou, sheep and goats without any issues. Usually cut a slit up the chambers to empty out any coagulated blood in the field. Once home rinse well and vaccuum seal or wrap with freezer paper like you would any other cut of meat.

Can't speak to liver as I have a prejudice against eating filtration organs...comes with having a medical background I guess.

Default well, I still like onions!

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    We have frozen hearts from moose, caribou, sheep and goats without any issues. Usually cut a slit up the chambers to empty out any coagulated blood in the field. Once home rinse well and vaccuum seal or wrap with freezer paper like you would any other cut of meat.

Can't speak to liver as I have a prejudice against eating filtration organs...comes with having a medical background I guess.
    I agree with hearts being freezable. Its slightly different meat, but still meat.

Liver on the other hand, doesn't share many attributes with meat. I've like it just fine fresh, never tried to save. But reading about filtration organs...... man o man, my own body's filtration organs probably have their hands full now. They likely don't need me feeding me another animals filtration organs. This is kinda icky to consider... More power too ya Becca, but you might have just soured me to liver. (Is that good thing?)

Liver may be a filtration organ, but it is not a storehouse. Thats for the fat to do. So if livers ick you out because they filter the blood, fat should concern you far more. But our bodies need fat badly in order to function properly; a lean meat only diet would kill us. Same with liver; it contains many minerals and nutrients crucial to our body's function. I have frozen it with no trouble. It can also be desiccated in a dehydrator or oven, and put in capsules for taking as a supplement.

Default ty

Thanks for explaining that.

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post

Good to know about being able to preserve the heart.
    We buy organic beef liver once in a while from Natural Pantry and it seems to be ok, when thawed out. I wonder if it will survive 4 or 5 days in the field before I get a chance to freeze it. I will try to bring it back with me this year.

The only problem with the liver I have had is when I failed to clean all of the fat off it. That liver was from a moose with definite signs of Fatty liver disease!!!!!!!!!! There was lines of fat inside the meat as well as coating most of the outside.

It went rancid in about 2 monthes in the freezer. Vacuum packed also.

The heart never lasts that long. I have it as second meal of the animal. first is tenderloins on the grill while skinning and hanging the meat.

I bring them back whole now, so it takes me a little while to skin, and prepare to hang.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by vadimb View Post
    Good to know about being able to preserve the heart.
    We buy organic beef liver once in a while from Natural Pantry and it seems to be ok, when thawed out. I wonder if it will survive 4 or 5 days in the field before I get a chance to freeze it. I will try to bring it back with me this year.
    I would certainly eat some of the liver in the field, to be sure its something you want to even try saving. Moose liver can be quite bitter. I like it, many don't. As for whether it will keep or not, As long as you keep the flies off it, and keep it cool like the rest of the meat, you should be fine. A lot of people recommend putting it in a cold stream in a garbage bag; that can work well, but seems like water always makes it into the bag somehow when I try that. I like digging into the ground a little ways and dropping the garbage bag in the hole. Usually can find some really cold dirt, even ice if its high enough or far enough north.

Well, we took two moose this season and i tried to bring both livers back. By the time we processed it, one was 6 days old and the other 4 days. Ubfortunately both of them started to smell pretty unhealthy and became sort of runny. As always, it was great in the field, but just too long before it had a chance to freeze.
    Hearts on the other hand faired pretty well.
    I'll try to freeze them quicker next time.
    Good luck to a

vadimb, thanks for following up on the original thread.

The heart is a nice chunk of meat for grinding into burger and sausage. I do not care for the texture of liver, so I leave it in the field. I've eaten caribou kidney, too, which was better than liver, but not as good as heart.

I usually bring the liver back and have frozen liver for 4 months with no issue. I usually carry large ziplock bags in my field dressing gear and put the liver in those. I would definately try to keep the liver as cold as possible, otherwise it will go bad pretty fast. If you don't have a cooler to put it in, submersing it in flowing cold water would be the next option. I always trim off outside fat, cut smaller pieces, vaccum pack (low suction, just enough to get the air out, or the liver will get runny and mushy) and freeze. You can also freeze in ziplock freezer bags, its pretty easy to get all of the air out before sealing. I kept my caribou liver this season.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~