Thread: 320 gr Double Tap reload questions

Default 320 gr Double Tap reload questions

I finally was able to round up some brass and put some loads together for my SRH in 44 mag with a 7 1/2" barrel. I wanted to try both W296 and Alliant 2400. I couldn't find exact load data for these bullets, but I found loads on Hodgdons website for 325 gr boolits showing 20 min and 22 max with 296. I loaded up 5 rnds at 21.0 grains with a heavy crimp. Then I found on a reloading website a load of 13.5 grains of 2400 for a 310 grain boolit. After checking around a bunch of other resources, 13.0 seemed like a good safe starting point.

I fired the 2400 rounds first and 5 shots averaged 1030 fps and they shot about 7-8" high at 20 yds. Then I shot 5 rounds of 296. These were about dead on at 20 yds and averaged just under 1350 fps, with significantly more recoil. Brass came out easily, but didn't fall out, same as with the 2400 load.

My question is can I safely bump the 2400 much higher to get it closer to 1200 or 1250? If so how do you think that will affect the point of impact at 25 yds?

Or do I stick with the 296 since it seems to be a good fit at my starting load for both speed and accuracy. I may want to carry this pistol in winter on my dogsled or snowmachine so Im wondering about issues with 296 having squibs at low temp. Plus 2400 meters way better for me in my measure. Should I make a separate summer load and a winter load?

Thanks for any input.

I would stay with 296/110. You should be able to load around 22gr 2400 with the heaver bullets. My 2400 standard was 24gr of 2400 under 240gr bullet,easy to remember. When loading Larry Kelly and JD Jones loads in the bottom crimp groove the load was 320gr JDJ/HC over 25.5 gr 296/110 with a very good crimp.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks Will. I know that you have a lot more reloading experience than me, and a lot more knowledge of pistols too. With these bullets, at 21 grains I think it was slightly compressed at an OAL of 1.67". That is the depth it took to crimp into the top crimp groove. It seems like 25.5 grains of 296 would be tough to fit unless I run the bullets longer. Any issues crimping into a groove lower than the top one, like you referenced above? It seemed like the top groove was chamfered to match the crimp whereas the other were square grooves with lube in them.

thanks for the info on 2400 also, I have two pounds of that powder, so I'd like to come up with a faster load with the 320 grainers. I'm also gonna get some 240 grain bullets for target shooting, those 320 grainers are a handful...lol

The SRH has a longer cylinder than most 44's so it will handle bullets crimped in the bottom groove.To be truthfull I would stick with now days with 24gr of 296/110 in the bottom groove and call it good for Alaska hunting. Your lead bullet go down the bore easier than jacketed bullets so you can use more powder for equal pressure. I'm sure with your 2400 anything between 20gr to 22gr with do what you want to use up that 2400.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you