Thread: AGAIN with the Salting before Freezing... AAARRGG !!

Default AGAIN with the Salting before Freezing... AAARRGG !!

I just delivered a completed Safari to a guy in Palmer & after helping him hang his trophies he says, Oh by the way a have a couple more projects for you to do.

A lifesize Brown & 2 Black bears to be rugged.

I say great.

Then he says ya they all went in the freezer the same day they were shot after sealing.

Good deal huh ?

Then I get them back to my studio in Fairbanks & unwrap them to thaw for fleshing.

Thats when 25 lbs of salt pours out on my floor.

He salted over all the fat & meat that was left on !!! the feet were still in & the salt had pulled the moisture out of the toes, the lips & nose were like concrete & a major pain to open up.

it takes twice as long to flesh & turn things when they are like this.

Again, PLEASE DO NOT SALT THE SKINS IF THEY ARE GOING TO BE PUT IN THE FREEZER !!!!

Salt inhibits freezing, Thats why the put it in the sand for hyway use.

It also pulls the moisture out of things, Thats why it is used for skins but AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN PROPERLY FLESHED.

I guess I will just start charging $100. extra for things that are not fleshed & salted over the meat & fat , maybe that will get their attention.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    907 322 0936

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    I guess I will just start charging $100. extra for things that are not fleshed & salted over the meat & fat , maybe that will get their attention.
    $100 sounds like a drop in the bucket...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Would not have salted if I was going to freeze, but I have salted over some flesh. I make an effort to take as much flesh off in the field as possible, but they don't end up completely fleshed. Should I not be salting? Just curious. For my situation, I had the hides to the taxi within 5 days of the kill, 4 days of salting.
    My signature is awesome.

IF the skin is going in the FREEZER , DO NOT SALT ,

If you can Split the Nose Eyes, Lips & ears then you might as well remove the rest ( or as much as you can get off ) of the fat & meat,Then salt it about 1 inch deep in Feed or table salt.

Rubbing salt into every part of the flesh side including every edge & fold & toes.

After being PROPERLY fleshed , Salted & dried you can keep it for several years without going bad.

I tanned & mounted a Lifesize African Lion that was shot 18 years before It came to me. No problem at all. But it was properly taken care of.

A little bit of THIN meat or fat are not so big of a problem, but when you have a solid 2 inches coverage from fat or meat will slip the fur if not taken care of.

ANY time you are not going to get the skin to a taxidermist for several days , the skin needs EITHER rolled head inside & put in the freezer, OR Properly Flesh & salt the skin & hang to dry after the 3rd day of salting. Fold the skin after dry & keep away from all bugs , Rodents & animals.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    ww.protaxidermy.com
    907 322 0936

The only thing Ill add to RJ's advice is, if the the skull is still in the hide, leave it on the outside of the rolled up hide. If the head/skull is on the inside it will be the last thing to freeze and take the longest to thaw out. That can give you slip issues. When they come in with the head/sull rolled up on the outside, you can usually get a rope around the head and hang it. The rest of the skin unrolls as it thaws. If the head/skull are on the inside, it takes much longer to thaw.