Thread: Bears in stands

Default Bears in stands

At one of my bait stations, I have a bear getting into the habit of climbing into my stand. I haven't been there to see this happen, but when I go replenish bait, the door to my stand is on the ground, there are fresh claw marks and hair in the stand, and my bait station permit has been torn down and stashed in the trees. I really don't want to deal with this guy climbing while I'm in the stand. I've been somewhat led to believe that this bear is younger, although I have no proof of this.

I have hunted bear for a good number of years, and while I have had bears climb into my stand now and again, I haven't had a bear that climbs the stand every time I'm away. How would I discourage this? Hanging a shirt or article of clothing would do no good, in the past I've done this to get bears used to my scent. Spraying pepper spray around the tree wouldn't work, nor would wrapping the tree in some kind of metal. Maybe I'll just have to resort to scaring him off when he tries coming on the platform with me. Hmm, anyways I would like some ideas. Thanks guys.

-Eric

Default Happens all the time.

I'm always looking for one just for making hot links and sausage out of. Size doesn't matter at that point, so if one climbs while I'm in the stand his next move is next to the eggs and pancakes. I've also had 6fter's climb in the stand as well. You can shoot three...pop him.

Are you in a 3 bear area? If so, just harvest him.

I had to smack one on the nose last year with a Magnus stinger (that was on the end of my arrow), he climbed back down in a hurry. If they cross the line of what is comfortable to you , BUST him! Like the other guys said , you can shoot 3!

Default electric fence

sounds like a great opportunity to test a bear fence. Could make for some interesting video/photos.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I don't want to shoot him unless I have to. I really try to take mature bears, I enjoy watching them to much to shoot the small guys. It would make some awsome footage to catch the bear climbing into the stand with me. Maybe I'll spray him with mace or tag him with a rubber tipped arrow.

-Eric

Not sure how some will take this butů hit him with a stun gun on the snout when he pokes his head into your stand. That should make him think twice before climbing into your stand again.

Thumbs down Lots of nerve.

Tell em to get his own stand, i'ts not fair you do all the work, and he hunts in you stand! Thats just not right!
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default Get a Smacker!

I hit one with a broadhead last year also. Make a whacker and smack him on the nose when he comes to close.

Default Yep...

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    I don't want to shoot him unless I have to. I really try to take mature bears, I enjoy watching them to much to shoot the small guys. It would make some awsome footage to catch the bear climbing into the stand with me. Maybe I'll spray him with mace or tag him with a rubber tipped arrow.

-Eric
    I completely agree with you here...IMHO I wouldn't harvest him either unless he was mature. We have bears climb in our stands every year, even walked in on one alseep on a platform a couple of years ago. It does make great video footage when they climb the trees when you're in the stand, literally happens all the time. Who cares if he climbs up in the stand when you're gone, that just shows they are used to the stand and the bait station...just thump him on the nose when he starts up the tree when you're in it.

Had the same problem.Put some nail boards around the base of the tree.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by LongHunter7 View Post
    Tell em to get his own stand, i'ts not fair you do all the work, and he hunts in you stand! Thats just not right!
    That was to funny.

Time to put up the claymores. Maybe you could make one with a shotgun shell minus shot and wadding and condition him?
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Default pellets

I have a pellet gun in my stand for this very reason I think a whack to the snout with a pellet would make him go south in a hurry. Got hit on wednesday hunted this morning for the first time before work got in tree at 7am left at noon nothin happened. I think its a small bear though because hes not takeing much. I know of 5 bears taken so far on the refuge.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post
    I have a pellet gun in my stand for this very reason I think a whack to the snout with a pellet would make him go south in a hurry. Got hit on wednesday hunted this morning for the first time before work got in tree at 7am left at noon nothin happened. I think its a small bear though because hes not takeing much. I know of 5 bears taken so far on the refuge.

I like the pellet idea. Getting in stand at 7 seems really late to me. Most of my action seems to happen after 10 or 11 and before 3 or 4. But of course there are exceptions to this rule.

-Eric

Default bears

yeah 7:00 is late but it was the earliest I could get out there I normally dont even hunt in the mornings just evenings 6pm-2 or 3 am or so I was working nites all last week so was getting out there when I could. Monday my schedule changes so will be hunting better hours. I know people who have gotten them at all hrs of the day, so you never know. I know a guy who got one a few days ago he climbed into his tree stand at 6:45 am and had his bear at 7:30

Be careful shooting him with a rubber tipped arrow. They are known to actually go into the animal sometimes when shot at really close ranges. Just my 2 cents.