Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goat Hunting Boots - Kenetrek

Default Goat Hunting Boots - Kenetrek

I stopped by sporties tonight to try on a pair of 11 & 11.5 kenetrek guide boots in Wide. Nope. None in Anchorage, wasillie, slowdotna, or squarebanks. Stopped on by full curl. Order only.

Anyone else in anchortown sell them? Sure would like to make sure they fit before forking over the 430$.

Might just have to make my broke in pronghorns work.....

Honestly, I have a pair, 3 years later still breaking in! No hot spots yesterday finally doing flat top! I'd go to barneys and get the Scarpa or I think the brand that starts with a P, sick and brain dead still. Anyways, for the money, get a better boot!! Same or a tad more for 100X the boot, buddy has them, bought a pair a while back off here, too big so sold, but liked the design, half leather and half plastic basically. GO TO BARNIES! Hell, I should go too! Mine are 11 or 11.5, not sure if wide tho, but can try on if dead set on Kenetreks

Mountain view sports has kenetreks. Try Barney's too, they have some nice boots including Han Wags (sp?). Boot Country might have them too, not sure.

Wide feet, hard to shop for with mtn boots. I ende up with mendiel alaska hunters. Fit like a glove right outa the box and stiff for sidehilling. But they are order too
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Wide feet, hard to shop for with mtn boots. I ende up with mendiel alaska hunters. Fit like a glove right outa the box and stiff for sidehilling. But they are order too

that must be because most of the mountain hunters are skinny little fellers.......my fat makes my feet squish out I reckon! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    that must be because most of the mountain hunters are skinny little fellers.......my fat makes my feet squish out I reckon! LOL.
    Last summer I bought a pair of Kenetreks from Sierra Trading Post because they were less than half the price at SW. What little I used them (on my goat hunt) they seem to be fine....no problems and quite comfortable. Unfortunately I see that STP isn't carrying them now. So with that being said, like "BRWNBR" when I was guiding, I also wore Miendls (still have a pair) and would say they are very close to being the same type boot. Again, the only reason I bought the Kenetreks was because of the fantastic price, but I would not hesitate to buy another pair of Meindls. If you decide to go that route then just go through Cabella's and you should be able to get pretty much any size you want. BTW.....I had/have the Mt. Elbrus which has been a great boot,(Cabella's doesn't sell it anymore) but a friend of mine bought the Denali and he really liked them as well. Good luck....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I called mountain view sports and the gal said they don't sell that kind of boot.... So I went to Barneys and bought a set of lowa sheep hunters - they were cheaper (got 10% off that day) - paid 382. They feel pretty good, but need a little breaking in. I have some pretty bad feet so I really have to try the particular boot on. Only mail order boots I have bought were some russell mocasin sheep hunters that I finally wore out.

Put some green superfeet insoles in them. Remember, they aren't going to "break in" like your Danners; they are stiff for a reason. Get some Nikwax "Waterproofing Wax for Leather"; Sportsman's Warehouse should have it.

I personally own a pair and know of several guys that use Kenetrek boots that like them. I also know a ton of folks that like other brands. Boots are like $400 ice coolers or the latest new camo pattern, seems to be the fad lately as several brands have hit the outdoor market in their attempt to turn a passion and way of life event into a sporting event. My opinion for quality they're ALL probably just as equal...all will wear out or leak just as quick.

Trick is getting something that fits and breaks in quick. Love my Kenetrek but like many boots I'd guess, you put a few seasons on them getting wet, drying, wet, drying and they stretch and become sloppy under weight. YMMV! (Your Mileage May Very)
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    My opinion for quality they're ALL probably just as equal...all will wear out or leak just as quick.
    You did say "ALL" so I really can't agree with this. When you get up to the higher quality boots, other than plastics, then yes they all are probably pretty comparable.....maybe that's what you mean? But I sure don't believe that you can match up a pair of Kenetreks and a pair of $100 boots from Payless and say that they will wear the same.....

On my first sheep hunt I had a new pair of Danner "type" ($150.) boots that would be fine in the lowlands, but at the end of that hunt I had pretty much completely blown them off my feet. By the time I got off the mountain it was like I was walking in moccasins. I know my Kenetreks, or Meindls would not have done that.

My only issue with Kenetreks is that they stretch when wet. Mine also broke down fairly quickly though that could be because I weigh a good bit more than the average mountain hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    My only issue with Kenetreks is that they stretch when wet. Mine also broke down fairly quickly though that could be because I weigh a good bit more than the average mountain hunter.
    I've read where you've said that before, so I have to ask.....how wet are you talking about? Soaking wet through and through, or just wet on the outside? Mine got wet last year but didn't penetrate through, so I never had any stretching issues.....or at least I haven't yet. I'm thinking that most leather will stretch when totally soaked....no?

Mine never leaked. Their version of goretex was bulletproof. Once the leather soaked from wet grass going up the mountain they would start stretching. Eventually it got to the point where I was out of room to tighten them, the eyelets were basically touching.

Mine never leaked. Their version of goretex was bulletproof. Once the leather soaked from wet grass going up the mountain they would start stretching. Eventually it got to the point where I was out of room to tighten them, the eyelets were basically touching.
    Yeah mine do the same, not as bad as yours, but they do stretch as the space between the lace holes was shrinking as I had to readjust. Don't over tighten the top of the boot, that will cause heel slippage.

Had a pair do the same thing on me and I had worn them for months before the hunt. Only hunt I have ever had to quit on. No Kenetreks for me.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I just wanted to comment about insoles relating to the boots. I've seen guys give advice as to which color Superfeet to buy or what brand of insole to buy and I believe this advice can be misleading. No doubt what they are suggesting for insoles works for them, but beyond the construction and materials that go into a boot, they all are different and therefore fit people different. The same holds true for insoles. The orange Superfeet are what work for me with my high arches. While great insoles, the others don't work well for me.

So shop for insoles in the same manner in which you choose boots, find the ones that fit your feet.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    You did say "ALL" so I really can't agree with this. When you get up to the higher quality boots, other than plastics, then yes they all are probably pretty comparable.....maybe that's what you mean? But I sure don't believe that you can match up a pair of Kenetreks and a pair of $100 boots from Payless and say that they will wear the same.....

On my first sheep hunt I had a new pair of Danner "type" ($150.) boots that would be fine in the lowlands, but at the end of that hunt I had pretty much completely blown them off my feet. By the time I got off the mountain it was like I was walking in moccasins. I know my Kenetreks, or Meindls would not have done that.
    Yes, that is what I meant. Boots in the $400 dollar range, in my opinion (we all have em), will most likely wear n' tear about the same. Its not like there's a ton of difference in the technology used to build these boots though brands would love to spin it that way. Can't compare $100 Columbia hiking boots to $400+ Kanetrek, Meindls, Danner or other comparable product. I get to hunt (film) with a number of hunters and I'm always quizzing them on their gear.

Of course, you'll need to find a brand that fits your feet. I would also expect many leather boots to become sloppy over a few seasons as they get wet/dry several times and stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Had a pair do the same thing on me and I had worn them for months before the hunt. Only hunt I have ever had to quit on. No Kenetreks for me.
    Yup. That's exactly what has happened to my Kenetreks over the past few seasons. Wet and than stretch. OK until you put a load on them. I'm guessing many other comparable boot would do the same?

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    Yup. That's exactly what has happened to my Kenetreks over the past few seasons. Wet and than stretch. OK until you put a load on them. I'm guessing many other comparable boot would do the same?
    I'm on my 3rd pair of Lowa's and they have never stretched like my Kenetreks did.

I read tons of great reviews on them so maybe I got a bad pair.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast