Thread: Where is a good place to pan near Anchorage?

Talking Where is a good place to pan near Anchorage?

Howdy, we are looking for some tips on good places to pan near Anchorage, if there are any...

any help would be appreciated. river names, location. We are pretty excited as we have never panned before. we have a small sluice and some panning gear.

Crow creek mine in Girdwood!
    It's a pay to dig place. There is some good gold there if you know what to look for.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I did see that website. Its nice to know if you have first hand experience at a particular spot. We appreciate the reply! Do you have any tips on what to bring other than our trinity pans, sluice, ... let us know. What size pieces can one generally find? If lucky and hard working of course. lol

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Crow creek mine in Girdwood!
    It's a pay to dig place. There is some good gold there if you know what to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureGirls View Post
    I did see that website. Its nice to know if you have first hand experience at a particular spot. We appreciate the reply! Do you have any tips on what to bring other than our trinity pans, sluice, ... let us know. What size pieces can one generally find? If lucky and hard working of course. lol
    Mostly flakes and fines but I have found small nuggets there before as well.A lot depends on what you know not how hard you work, though working hard never hurts.
    I generally use my highbanker but pans and a sluice should work well. My favorite pan currently is the Proline Professional pan in the green color though when I saw the blue one I bought it also.
    Make sure you have a good clasifier and a couple of 5 gallon pails. A snuffer bottle and plastic gold vial are also neccessary. Plus your digging tools. Bring something to scrape out cracks and crevices for the really good stuff.
    Find your own little area and avoid spots where it is clear every tourist has already dug.
    Read Steve's mining journal to know how to find the different layers Crow Creek has. It will help a lot.
    http://www.detectorprospector.com/st...ng-journal.htm
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Have to second Crow Creek - been meaning to get down there myself. For free sites try Sixmile Creek or farther noth the Petersville Recreational Mining Area. http://www.detectorprospector.com/go...-site-list.htm