Thread: Deep water Release, Cheap & easy.............

Default Deep water Release, Cheap & easy.............

I bought this S.S. Halibut spreader bar for less than $4 at BJís, in less than 2 minutes at home I cut off one end, bend it down and sharpened it. Had it out last week and deep water leased 5-6 fish, it worked great, I just poked the sharp end thought their bottom lip and sent them down!....found it takes a 3 pound weight to get a average fish down tho!

"Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

More weight is better, I had a yellow eye floating tail up when I did not use enough weight. I would just rig up 5 lbs on there and keep it. I am thinking about using a downrigger ball next time. Other than that it look good.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Looks like a good setup. I wished I'd ordered a pair of the shelton tools vs. buying the tool that B&J sells. The problem with the one they sell is many times the clamp will slip off the lips before you send the fish down and if you have any current it'll end up quickly floating out of arms reach.

The 3# weight seems to be the ticket as we've sent several quillbacks down to the their home this season and it seems to go pretty quickly. Just wish I could justifiy a dedicated rod w/ an electric reel for the return trip.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Looks like a good setup. I wished I'd ordered a pair of the shelton tools vs. buying the tool that B&J sells. The problem with the one they sell is many times the clamp will slip off the lips before you send the fish down and if you have any current it'll end up quickly floating out of arms reach.

The 3# weight seems to be the ticket as we've sent several quillbacks down to the their home this season and it seems to go pretty quickly. Just wish I could justifiy a dedicated rod w/ an electric reel for the return trip.
    Poorman's electric reel. I have these on my reels and use a battery drill to reel them up.

http://www.huntingfishinginc.com/turnamatedrive.html

Great idea for the release!! Thanks, have to spread the rep.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/