Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Russian tonight?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    19

    Default Russian tonight?

    I get out of work at around 6:00 or so and want to head out. I'm not really experienced, but I guess people get their limit, wait till midnight and get the next day's limit and go home, right? I can drive or you can drive. I've not been fishing in Alaska a whole lot and would really enjoy some company and a few pointers.

    Gotta get fish in the freezer for wife and baby

    I'll keep checking this. I guess i'm gonna head down by myself if I have to, any suggestions on what to bring?

    Hip Waders, fly rod, spinning rod/reel, 44 magnum, ice chest, stringer...pink/blue/green pixies? (drinks/snacks of course)

  2. #2
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikon View Post
    I get out of work at around 6:00 or so and want to head out. I'm not really experienced, but I guess people get their limit, wait till midnight and get the next day's limit and go home, right? I can drive or you can drive. I've not been fishing in Alaska a whole lot and would really enjoy some company and a few pointers.

    Gotta get fish in the freezer for wife and baby

    I'll keep checking this. I guess i'm gonna head down by myself if I have to, any suggestions on what to bring?

    Hip Waders, fly rod, spinning rod/reel, 44 magnum, ice chest, stringer...pink/blue/green pixies? (drinks/snacks of course)
    No pixies...the Russian is flies only.

  3. #3

    Default

    expect slow fishing until the 2nd run of sockeye begin heading up river

  4. #4
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    Pixies are legit on the Russian. Dude was using them at the Falls a few weeks back was quite effective.

    BUT. Not legal. Read up on the regs.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  5. #5
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    The Russian River possession rules are different the other places. You are only allowed more than ones days possession if your prior catch is preserved in a way to be edible after 15 days... I'm paraphrasing, so check the regs. There are places down there that will freeze your fish for a fee.

    Good luck
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  6. #6
    Member Gr is for Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Anchorville
    Posts
    597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    The Russian River possession rules are different the other places. You are only allowed more than ones days possession if your prior catch is preserved in a way to be edible after 15 days... I'm paraphrasing, so check the regs. There are places down there that will freeze your fish for a fee.

    Good luck
    Stid - Where does it state that in the regs?? I just reread them, and I don't see any special difference between possession rules on the Russian vs. anywhere else. BTW - I saw this morning that they are backing the limit back to 3/3 on Monday, so getting a double-limit by fishing over midnight will only be an option through the weekend. -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    The Russian River possession rules are different the other places. You are only allowed more than ones days possession if your prior catch is preserved in a way to be edible after 15 days... I'm paraphrasing, so check the regs. There are places down there that will freeze your fish for a fee.

    Good luck
    He has until July 15th with the emergency order increasing the lmit.

    This emergency order increases the bag and possession limits for salmon, other than king salmon, from
    three per day, three in possession to six per day, twelve in possession in that area of the Kenai River upstream from Skilak Lake to ADF&G regulatory markers located approximately 300 yards upstream of the public boat launch at Sportsmanís Landing and the Russian River from its mouth upstream to an ADF&G marker located approximately 600 yards downstream from the Russian River Falls. This emergency order is effective from 12:01 a.m., Saturday, June 22, 2013 through 11:59 p.m., Sunday, July 14, 2013.

  8. #8
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    As frequently noted on AOJ reports if you fish in Alaska you need to keep up with the EO's that F&G publishes on line. They usually take 72 hours before they are in effect.

    To the OP, for current fishing info in the Kenai area you need to head to the Alaska Outdoor Journal and review the reports and run charts. It's easier to use and find than the info on the various F&G sites, but can be a day behind for updates.

    Also, please take the time to read the main regulations. Or don't if you have lots of money to pay fines.

  9. #9
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    Stid - Where does it state that in the regs?? I just reread them, and I don't see any special difference between possession rules on the Russian vs. anywhere else. BTW - I saw this morning that they are backing the limit back to 3/3 on Monday, so getting a double-limit by fishing over midnight will only be an option through the weekend. -Gr

    Page 50,, 3 a day, 3 in possession. This is the rule when no EOs are in effect.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    19

    Default

    I know that it's going from the 6/12 back to 3/3 Monday (Sunday at midnight?) Just wanted to see if anyone was game for a drive down tonight or tomorrow night

  11. #11
    Member Gr is for Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Anchorville
    Posts
    597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Page 50,, 3 a day, 3 in possession. This is the rule when no EOs are in effect.
    Right, but if he's going tonight, the EO upping the limit to 6 (bag) / 12 (possession) will still be in effect, so he could get 6 fish before midnight and 6 fish after midnight. Judging from reports from the river, though, this whole discussion seems pretty moot. Sorry to say, seems like those who walk away with a fish or two can count themselves lucky at this point. Anyway, I just wanted to make sure there were no sneaky Russian River rules I didn't know about .... other than the ones I already know about Now having your fish frozen is a way to get around your possession limit, since cleaned, frozen fish appear not to count toward your possession limit, per my read of the regs.
    My signature is awesome.

  12. #12
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    Right, but if he's going tonight, the EO upping the limit to 6 (bag) / 12 (possession) will still be in effect, so he could get 6 fish before midnight and 6 fish after midnight. Judging from reports from the river, though, this whole discussion seems pretty moot. Sorry to say, seems like those who walk away with a fish or two can count themselves lucky at this point. Anyway, I just wanted to make sure there were no sneaky Russian River rules I didn't know about .... other than the ones I already know about Now having your fish frozen is a way to get around your possession limit, since cleaned, frozen fish appear not to count toward your possession limit, per my read of the regs.

    Yes Sir, that is why I take my chamber sealer and freezer.

    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  13. #13

    Default

    sweet operation there stid2677. What do you do to power the setup?

  14. #14
    Member CTobias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Here and there.....
    Posts
    237

    Default Russian tonight?

    There isn't any water down there. Pretty low. I guess it will make it easy for flossing.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •