Thread: Paint smaint

Default Paint smaint

You always wonder if jigs need to be some hot color combination to catch fish. Somedays yes, somedays no, and I just don't know.

I do know that on Wed. I used this one eyed chipped and chewed up little gibbs minnow to take 3 black bass, 2 lingcod and I lost track of the greenling I threw back. It's accounted for a few more fish in years past as well. I suppose I should pick up a spare before it gets lost to the rocks.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

good photo. I believe a lot is how it's fished, not what it's looks like to us anglers!! Chris

Do most of you use wire leaders [if so, what size] in Ling country? I started [45# steel] to after I had 80# Power Pro sliced off twice. Those Ling have razor sharp teeth and cut braid like a hot knife through butter. There was a slight issue with one setup on Kodiak Custom where the hook [primary not the dropper] kept hanging up on the leader ~ didn't do that before when it was tied straight to braided line. Also what is the general rule regarding the length of dropper hook when reconfiguring herring style metal jigs. I'm having a hard time finding longer [I'd like around half way down] with a wide enough gap for my 16-20 oz set ups.

I use a 6' top shot of 50# mono or fluor leader from my braid, I've used 80# in the past but find 50 seems to be fine. Mono provides better abrasion resistance than braid, just a tad of stretch where you want it, and a larger dia line to help you grab hold when netting/landing fish. I've yet to have a mono leader cut, the only failure is when the jigs get hung up on bottom and you have to break them off and the braid seems to break just at the knot.

As far as how long the assist hook should be, it varries on my smaller jigs at about 1/2 way down the jig to 1/3 or even 1/4 way down on the longer jigs. You need to have a long enough loop to pass the hook through but I don't like really long leaders as they seem more prone to getting hung up on the main line.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

The assist hooks are really easy to tie. I don't use steel leaders with any of my jigs.
    I buy the assist line in different test strengths and tie then up myself. I use heat shrink tubing on them too instead of super glue.
    This is the method I use.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    You always wonder if jigs need to be some hot color combination to catch fish. Somedays yes, somedays no, and I just don't know.

I do know that on Wed. I used this one eyed chipped and chewed up little gibbs minnow to take 3 black bass, 2 lingcod and I lost track of the greenling I threw back. It's accounted for a few more fish in years past as well. I suppose I should pick up a spare before it gets lost to the rocks.
    If that jig ever looses all its paint I can repaint it for you Paul. I would bet my powder coating will last longer than the original and fish just as good.
    I can replace the 3D eyes as well and I even have some red eyes in my jig making room.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Chris,

Thanks for the offer but I kinda like ole one eye and expect to loose it to the rocks before all the paint is gone or will retire it as the little jig that could.

a nice wall mount with some photos of it's success would difinetly be a nice retirement.

Chris