Thread: Shrimp Question?

Default Shrimp Question?

I know a lot of you guys shrimp in PWS, as well as I, but have any of you PWS regulars ever been sucsessful shrimping in Seward? I was thinking of trying, its closer to home and not as expensive (tunnel, launch and parking)....Any comments? I figured I would ask here because most of the boating guys shrimp PWS.
    It's better to burn out than fade away.....

I haven't tried in Seward. But I haven't heard of anyone catching any there. Maybe one or two shrimp, but that's it. I've always wondered about shrimping around the west corner up near the glaciers though. Good luck if ya give it a try.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I haven't tried shrimping Seward but have shrimped the South end of the sound and it is nowhere near as productive as closer to Whittier. The water out of Seward just isn't as deep and you don't have the large glacial sediments/minerals in the water which I believe are what produce the shrimp in larger numbers in the sound. I don't think you'll find a spot worth the extra time and gas out of your fishing day to be worth it in Seward, but I could be wrong.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

A friend of mine stopped shrimping when he moved his boat to Seward because he said he had to travel too far to get to shrimping grounds.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Not to high jack, but anybody try west of gore point out of homer? I guess that'd be just about as far as from Seward. I've always thought that'd be worth trying on a multi day trip down there.

Not sure how far the N Gulf Coast Shrimp permit extends. Gore Point might be the West boundary.

I meant east, woops

I tried it from Cape Granite to points south. Got nothing to show for the effort. I will not try again. Yeah, that bad. I wouldn't waste the time.