Thread: Kicker size

Default Kicker size

I found a 25hp with a jet for a kicker, my only concern is it may to big and heavy for my boat it's a 17ft silver streak grizz has a 90 on it now but it's pretty old and looking for a back up.

25hp is a pretty big kicker for a 17' boat. Seems like that would take up a good portion of your transom.

Size does matter, but a 25hp auxiliary on a 17' boat is overkill. You'll see boats in the 20' range with 9.9-15 hp as "kickers". 25hp (even with a jet, which effectively makes it about a 15hp) is pretty big. Plus, a little kicker driving a big boat should be very steerable, and jets just don't cut it for that.
    I'll buy it from you however. Would be great on my jon boat.

I think you'd be much happier with an 8-15 horse kicker. The older two strokes are fairly light, under 80#'s, I wouldn't want to have much more than, and the old e-rude 8's are only 56#'s. I use an 8 horse on my 22' boat and so long as I'm not trying to make headway into the wind it'll move me along at 4 knots. You aren't going to get anywhere fast with a kicker, so the key is keep it as light as possible.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Well i decided to pass on the motor they guy even weighed it for me!! Said it was about a 100lbs so I passed anyone looking should call him he has an ad on alaskas list. I will prob kick myself for it but oh well.

Mooneyman,

I have a very "lightweight" 25hp jet. It's a 2-stroke short-shaft Yamaha. It originally weighed 106# as a prop. With the jet lower unit installed, it now weighs 122#. (Most of the newer 4-stroke 25hp jets are running 170-200#, so, I'm very happy with my 122# "lightweight".) Some sellers like to round-down the weight of their smaller outboards, because "portable" motors are expected to be, well . . . easy to carry.

I just looked at that AKlist ad. It looks like that jet does not have the "reverse nozzle" and linkage, so, that probably saves a few pounds (at the cost of manueverablity that you might want from a kicker on your boat?) But, "about a 100lbs" seems kinda optimistic.

Besides, like Sayak said, jets don't steer very well, unless you're going fast, and that's not what a kicker does on a larger boat.

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

I started another thread about the size of kickers not too long ago. I was pretty amazed at how small most go even for real big boats with good results. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. The last thing I need is another 100+ pounds on my 18' Bayrunner....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I started another thread about the size of kickers not too long ago. I was pretty amazed at how small most go even for real big boats with good results. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. The last thing I need is another 100+ pounds on my 18' Bayrunner....
    Haha! I have the same boat, and it pushes along fine with the trusty old 9.9 Johnson.