Thread: Fuel Containers in Whittier Tunnel

Default Fuel Containers in Whittier Tunnel

Has anyone ran in to problems transporting extra fuel thru the Whittier tunnel?

I thing the 12 gallon limit is a crock! It forces you to buy gas at the one and only fuel supplier, which is usually much more expensive. I have actually pulled my boat back to Bird Ridge, filled the boat, paid an additional $20 and came out ahead instead of buying fuel at Whittier.

Any ideas how we can change this?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

While I understand the frustration, from a safety aspect, the possibility of somebody rearending somebody else and say 30-50 gallons of gas is spilling and ingniting scares the heck out of me.

I don't see this is merely an issue of extort those on the other end of the tunnel.

Default i thought it was 15 Gallons

FROM THEIR WEB PAGE "No more than a total of 12 gallons of gasoline in a UL (Underwriters Laboratory) listed portable container (no combination of containers added together can total more than 12 gallons)."
    probably federal DOT reg. for going thru tunnel and no easy way to change it......
    #1 well you could SECURE A NON PORTABLE METAL CONTAINER in bed of your truck.
    #2 find storage area in Bird and leave boat there and fill each time before you go.....save cost of storage in Whittier.
    # 3 change power plant of boat to deisel ( bit extreme)
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    While I understand the frustration, from a safety aspect, the possibility of somebody rearending somebody else and say 30-50 gallons of gas is spilling and ingniting scares the heck out of me.

I don't see this is merely an issue of extort those on the other end of the tunnel.
    So if you get rear-ended your truck and boat tanks won't leak, but a portable tank will?

If my boat has a 150 gallon tank, I can fill it and take it through with no problem. but if my boat only has a portable tank, I can't take any more than 12 gallons???

Whether or not it's intended for extortion (and I doubt it is), this rule definitely reeks of bovine excrement.

Default you can have your

boat tanks full of gas. it just the portable tanks they are talking about and have talked to them about this. Yes they will make you empty your cans if you have more than 12 gallons. have to prove the cans are empty. Stupid I know, but how it is. They actually watched my fuel my brothers truck and then hold the can up and wave it in the air so they could see the cans were empty. So as long as the boat tanks are connected to the boat they are fine. If they are 5,6 or 15 or 30 gallons containers you can only have 12 gallons either in your truck bed or on the boat. Either way only 12 gallons of spare gas.

A tank permanently installed in a boat or vehicle will be better protected in a collision than a pile of portable cans questionably tied down in the bed of a truck or deck of a boat.

I understand the frustration, but from a safety standpoint, I don't think it's a bad rule.

Default 12 gallons

How about it being to keep the wackos from taking 50 gallons on fuel in the tunnel, kicking in a door and trying to blow the place up?

I think that if you just strap your cans to the boat like an "above deck" tank mount you should be fine. These types of permanently mounted tanks just strap in, and don't have any hard mounted fuel filler or vent plumbing, just like a gas can. And I know that Dewey's sells fuel line pickup tubes for the 15 gallon cube cans they sell. So if the cubes are strapped in I'd think that they'd qualify as a tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

I have been turned around at the tunnel with the 120 gal steel tank in the back of my pick up, that is attached to the bed of the truck. They said if I ran a hose from the tank to the truck tank it would be ok. I didn't have a hose that would work with me and after getting hot about it and having the whole crew that works there come over to my truck, I decided the best thing was to turn around and head back the way I came. Which ended all the way to Anchorage and pushing the tank out of my truck, into a friends truck and head back to the tunnel to start over. The first time we tried was at 12:00 noon and when we went through it was 4:00 PM. So the lesson here is to hide your tank or buy gas in Whittier

Thumbs down

I think the "safety" argument is without merit. Fuel in an approved DOT container is considered safe everywhere else, except the Whittier tunnel? Come on, I may not be the brightest bulb in the box but....

As far as acts of terrorists, Go with a full tank of fuel in your vehicle and detonate it in the tunnel has the same effect doesn't it? Extra gas for your boat that you purchased in Anchorage at $.20 a gallon less is a significant savings!

Without specific proof of danger, it is nothing more than extortion to protect the Whittier fuel operator.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

wlas -

I was just getting ready to tell your story when I saw you beat me to it. See you on the water.

So If a fella had one of the 15 gallon containers you could only get through the tunnel with 12 gallons? BTW I've seen those containers in various sizes at Anchorage Suzuki & Arctic Cat.

Tim

Default Good idea it's all about SAFETY

It's was a DOT deal in issuing the permit to operate.
    If a tank is connected to a motor it does not count against that 12 gallons, so 6 gallon tank connected to the motor with the hose, and 2 each 6 gallon filled spare tanks. Built in tanks will have a connection so 150 tank filled don't count.
    Has nothing to do with selling gas in Whittier!

Default I think it does have to do with gas in whittier

say i have a lot of empty cans. fill up at the fuel station. use very little gas and then have 40 gallons of gas left over in cans and only used 10 gallons of gas out of my tank. then what? Plus just came through hours ago and they don't check you leaving whittier. so....? kinda wierd to me. but usually don't see a lot of people fueling up thought the floating station though.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    It's was a DOT deal in issuing the permit to operate.
    If a tank is connected to a motor it does not count against that 12 gallons, so 6 gallon tank connected to the motor with the hose, and 2 each 6 gallon filled spare tanks. Built in tanks will have a connection so 150 tank filled don't count.
    Has nothing to do with selling gas in Whittier!

So you are saying if I take a hose and hook it up to say my kicker, then run the hose to my 25gal drum, its legal?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Default DOT regs State & Muni Regs + Logic, Reality

are incompatable.

Default Yes thats what they told me

If the fuel tank is connected to a motor then it is not considered a SPARE fuel gas can. Spare fuel gas can are cans NOT Connected to any thing.
    Have never seen them check other than asking. So if you have all the spare tanks in the bed of your truck where they can be seen they had better be empty.