Thread: CVT exhaust questions

Default CVT exhaust questions

Introduction:
    I am an "old school" and thiry year Alaskan guy, whose first ATV was a 1994 King Quad, which was a great unit (minus the neutral safety switch, low ground clearance, and drum brakes). My second ATV was a 2004 Arctic Cat 400, which was a great unit (minus the lack of diff/lock, which came out in 2005). That said, I just bought a 2013 King Quad 750, and it appears to be a great unit (minuses are yet to be determined). I did put 589 tires on it (just like I did with my Cat), and I'm now heading out to do break-in. I don't really like the idea of an automatic transmission (remember...I'm old school), but that's all there is.

Question: How many of you newer King Quad folks have trouble with water creepage into the exhaust port for the CVT system?

Thanks in advance...

P.S. I'm old school, but I do ride hard.

not sure about the kingquad but on my grizzly I can go up to the gas tank with no leaks , I would think the KQ would be about the same . I to was skeptical about the cvt trans on the newer machines but after owning one for going on 4 years with no issues I can tell you they are very reliable and low maintenance . All these new advances start to grow on you like Auto trans , fuel inj. power steering , IRS. I will never go back!
    Owner of Bear Mountain Meats Game Processing .
    907-745-4756

Thanks bigbear400 for your response...I can tell that you understand my question.

I am encouraged after riding it today at Puritan Creek. The KQ did everything just right and took me over the top to overlook Boulder Creek. I kept trying to shift with my left foot for the first hour or so, but I actually started to enjoy not thinking about it after awhile. Everything went smoothly and without a hitch. I got into some gunk several times and just powered right through. Managing steep downhills in low range was a nice surprise because I often had to give some throttle...reminded me of the old '93 KQ just a bit.

I do like this machine...despite the power steering, auto-transmission, liquid-cooling and EFI. I've put several thousand miles on each of my other machines, so we'll see. It seems to be a good rig right out of the box so far (I'm glad I put the 589's on it).

Thanks again...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Thanks bigbear400 for your response...I can tell that you understand my question.

I am encouraged after riding it today at Puritan Creek. The KQ did everything just right and took me over the top to overlook Boulder Creek. I kept trying to shift with my left foot for the first hour or so, but I actually started to enjoy not thinking about it after awhile. Everything went smoothly and without a hitch. I got into some gunk several times and just powered right through. Managing steep downhills in low range was a nice surprise because I often had to give some throttle...reminded me of the old '93 KQ just a bit.

I do like this machine...despite the power steering, auto-transmission, liquid-cooling and EFI. I've put several thousand miles on each of my other machines, so we'll see. It seems to be a good rig right out of the box so far (I'm glad I put the 589's on it).

Thanks again...

No prob Doc ! Now it is super easy to lower the gear ratio on those King Quads with that cvt system . All you have to do is ad around 2mm of shim on the shaft behind the primary clutch . The King Quads are great because the belt housing has allot more room than the Yamaha so the belt won't rub the cover . With that simple mod you can expect to lower the ratio by 20% or more but will take away some of your top end mph. It's like taking power from your top end and adding it to your bottom end . If you don't believe me that just utube it. I did it to my grizzly and it really helped get that low end grunt back after adding my heavy tires , also when adding heavy tires it puts strain on your wet clutch because putting larger diameter tires changes your starting ratio , adding shims gets you back in that ratio to prevent any premature ware on your wet clutch.
    Owner of Bear Mountain Meats Game Processing .
    907-745-4756

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear400 View Post
    No prob Doc ! Now it is super easy to lower the gear ratio on those King Quads with that cvt system . All you have to do is ad around 2mm of shim on the shaft behind the primary clutch . The King Quads are great because the belt housing has allot more room than the Yamaha so the belt won't rub the cover . With that simple mod you can expect to lower the ratio by 20% or more but will take away some of your top end mph. It's like taking power from your top end and adding it to your bottom end . If you don't believe me that just utube it. I did it to my grizzly and it really helped get that low end grunt back after adding my heavy tires , also when adding heavy tires it puts strain on your wet clutch because putting larger diameter tires changes your starting ratio , adding shims gets you back in that ratio to prevent any premature ware on your wet clutch.
    I had read about shimming the primary on the Nyroc site, and I filed that away as a possibility if I'm unhappy with the lower end torque from the larger tires...they're not mondo big, just a bump-up by one size (26x9, 26x12). I'm still breaking-in the KQ, so I'm not going beyond half-throttle right now, yet I can tell the 750 has some serious guts to it. However, your comment about premature wear is a good one and it's in my thoughts for the future. I bought a service manual, and we do have long winters...who knows, the KQ might come out of hibernation next spring shimmed (and wearing a snorkel?)!