Thread: Salmon prep for freezing

Default Salmon prep for freezing

I've been catching and freezing sockeye for several years with good results. Basically, and i'm sure it's like everyone else, I catch, fillet, rinse, vac-pack and freeze.

My question is can i add anything to the raw salmon in the vac bag before i seal and freeze? What i was thinking about doing is adding teriyaki sauce, hot sauce, salad dressing or even a dry rub. Has anyone tried this? Seems like it should work, but i'm concerned about food safety (duh) and that perhaps the added ingredients will degrade the fish.

Thanks!
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Oils, vinegar, salts, etc. in all those sauces can cause some serious issues with the meat when freezing and storing raw meat. It's not a chemistry experiment that I would attempt. I would wait until you thaw each piece to prep for cooking.

Scott

Most of those ingredients are natural preservatives. We routinely bag and freeze premade stirfry meals with beef, moose, and chicken combined with seasoning and vegetables. These are great for camping and hunting trips. I don't see how fish would be any different, just make sure to cook it properly.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Thanks for the replies, guys.
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.