Thread: Can you troll Salmon when the tide is ripping?

Default Can you troll Salmon when the tide is ripping?

I have a question. Can you troll salmon when the tide is running hot on the big tide days? we were thinking of fishing halibut when the tide slows down and trolling salmon when the tide is running on the big tide days. Anyone have any advice on doing that?

I have the best luck "back trolling" in currents too strong to make headway at trolling speed. It always works better for me than ripping along downcurrent, too.

You can also troll with the current just fine, we used to troll kings in washington exclusively with the current. I believe the fish are more likely to turn and head "downstream" to catch food while they are still feeding in the salt.

Salmon like to feed when the tide is ripping. If they are there, and if you troll with the tide, you will probably catch a good deal of them.

With the tide or against.. You'll get em if they are there and you have a decent presentation. Feeding kings/cohos are fast, and can whip around and swarm your flashers in an instant, no matter how fast you are trolling or how fast the current is.

Seems to me, that's when I do the best. I find a good tide line next to an island with some big eddies and boiling water. Almost everytime I get a double, sometimes a triple..

Do the salmon face into the tide when the tide rips i.e face the current ?

Never paid too much attention. Thinking about it, I do better going with the tide. I range in speed over ground from 1.8 to 2.2 knots. I pay more attention to swingback on the downrigger cables. If it lines up with the rear curtain edge, I'm going the right speed.