Thread: Mailing smoked Sockeye

Default Mailing smoked Sockeye

I was thinking of sending room temperature vacuum sealed smoked fish via US Postal to the Lower 48. I understand I cannot evacuate as much air as a commercial system but do you think it would make it unspoiled?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by nuskovich View Post
    I was thinking of sending room temperature vacuum sealed smoked fish via US Postal to the Lower 48. I understand I cannot evacuate as much air as a commercial system but do you think it would make it unspoiled?

All I can say is that we have done that more than once . . vacuum-sealed and Priority Mail to the lower-48 . . no one's dead yet. About the same as leaving it, vacuum-sealed, out on the counter for four days or so . . none of my smoked salmon would spoil that quickly.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shelf stable products are not simply vacuum sealed, they have been processed through a retort (giant pressure cooker). Vacuum sealing does nothing more than keeping the product from getting freezer burned/oxidized, it does not preserve the fish in any way, shape or form.

I will add that it is possible to cook/dry the fish enough to decrease the water activity below 0.85 which will decrease the possibility of microbe growth (including claustridium botulinum), however that product would be the consistency of very tough beef jerky.
    Last edited by Frostbitten; 07-11-2013 at 13:47. Reason: additional info

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shelf stable products are not simply vacuum sealed, they have been processed through a retort (giant pressure cooker). Vacuum sealing does nothing more than keeping the product from getting freezer burned/oxidized, it does not preserve the fish in any way, shape or form.

Certainly agree in any long-term sense.

But doesn't brining/smoking accomplish short-term preservation that vacuum-sealing would only benefit?

Would like to hear more on how to achieve shelf-stability at homeŚwithout resorting to pressure-canning.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Marcus, this would be a good place to start: http://seagrant.uaf.edu/map/fishbiz/pubs/asg-44.pdf

If you can get your hands on the Hazards Guide, it will tell you everything you need to know...and then some!! While it might possible to come up with a process that doesn't involve a retort, it won't happen without proper monitoring equipment.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Marcus, this would be a good place to start: http://seagrant.uaf.edu/map/fishbiz/pubs/asg-44.pdf

If you can get your hands on the Hazards Guide, it will tell you everything you need to know...and then some!! While it might possible to come up with a process that doesn't involve a retort, it won't happen without proper monitoring equipment.

Thank You . . Very good information . . +1

Interesting read. So I could mail it to people I like but not who I love. Just Kidding. They'll all have to wait for frozen Christmas presents.

Lightbulb

Interesting read. So I could mail it to people I like but not who I love. Just Kidding. They'll all have to wait for frozen Christmas presents.

The really, really safe option would be to smoke the salmon, can it, and send it. If you ever try it, do a very light smoke as canning greatly intensifies the flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

All I can say is that we have done that more than once . . vacuum-sealed and Priority Mail to the lower-48 . . no one's dead yet.
    I've also sent it the same way and nobody ever said they got sick......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!