Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Birchwood Thread Deleted

Default Birchwood Thread Deleted

Hi folks,

I just returned from a trip to POW, where I was gathering content for the site. I discovered the Birchwood thread when I returned and was shocked at the mess in there. I could have spent several hours wading through that mess, but the results would have been less than satisfactory. So the entire thread has been deleted.

We don't mind civil discussion of these topics, but the beatings have to stop. Thanks for your help in keeping the place clean. I know there was some good content in there, and I dislike having to dump it all, but sometimes you get some good cells when you remove the cancer.

Thanks for your understanding.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Nothing is gained from all of the political hatred being spread around both this site and the nation at large. You guys are doing a good job here holding back the tide with a broom. Myself, I've discontinued all political and religious discussion with anyone, even (especially) in "real time." All it does it make enemies out of friends and bitter enemies out of enemies. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Nothing is gained from all of the political hatred being spread around both this site and the nation at large. You guys are doing a good job here holding back the tide with a broom. Myself, I've discontinued all political and religious discussion with anyone, even (especially) in "real time." All it does it make enemies out of friends and bitter enemies out of enemies. Keep up the good work.
    Ditto, and good on ya for your patience, Mike. Were I in your shoes I'd just delete the garbage without any comment and move on.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Having recently read the letter sent from BSRP to Members in regards to the “Gifford’s dilemma / drama” I would have to assume that it was in direct response to the inquires made by AOD forum readers who were made aware of the issue by the very thread that you have chosen to delete… Way to play it PC Mike… It’s your forum and you can do as you please, but it seems to me that you blinked a bit too soon.

As for FL2AK-Old Town… good grief man.. you have discontinued all political and religious discussions with ANYONE? In that case, here are a few quotes that you might find interesting.
    “Silence does not always mark wisdom” Samuel Taylor Coleridge. “If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity” Albert Einstein. “When truth is replaced by silence, the silence is a lie” Yevgeny Yevtushenko
    And my personal favorite… “Silence makes idiots seem wise even for a minute” Carlos Ruiz Zafon
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

We've became so polite and afraid of offending someone that we refrain from discussing anything interesting and important nowadays. What a crying shame!

And it sure makes things boring and bland.

Ho-hum.

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    Having recently read the letter sent from BSRP to Members in regards to the “Gifford’s dilemma / drama” I would have to assume that it was in direct response to the inquires made by AOD forum readers who were made aware of the issue by the very thread that you have chosen to delete… Way to play it PC Mike… It’s your forum and you can do as you please, but it seems to me that you blinked a bit too soon.

As for FL2AK-Old Town… good grief man.. you have discontinued all political and religious discussions with ANYONE? In that case, here are a few quotes that you might find interesting.
    “Silence does not always mark wisdom” Samuel Taylor Coleridge. “If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity” Albert Einstein. “When truth is replaced by silence, the silence is a lie” Yevgeny Yevtushenko
    And my personal favorite… “Silence makes idiots seem wise even for a minute” Carlos Ruiz Zafon
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Thumbs up Good riddance . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    . . here are a few quotes that you might find interesting.

Looooooove it . . . . my favorite is, "Silence is tacit agreement."

If only people could learn the difference between a person and an idea . . . . all would be well . . . maybe . .

Amen, Mike, hope you dumped the thread in a septic tank where it belonged.

Well, I guess that's the way it goes! I agree with Mike 100%!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Yes, "that's the way it goes" when you get your way, and not just, you, but a couple-three others too.

It's amazing that you guys always claim to support "Mike" yet you're the ones who WANT to shut-down every thread of a political nature when it goes in a direction you don't like.

I, for one, hope that Mike will soon see through you, and you find that your tactics will no longer work for you.

I find this forum to be informative, and effective in airing all the various views of those who frequent it.

It arouses interest. It's really a great "FORUM'. It should not be manipulated by those who would destroy that.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

A public thank you to AKKCChief for starting the thread in question that brought the entire situation to light. (Not only in AK, but in seveal places around the country.) I learned a lot!

I'm still trying to figure out how it is some people think "talking things over" with people they don't agree with is wonderful in all cases and then cheer when a thread gets locked/deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    A public thank you to AKKCChief for starting the thread in question that brought the entire situation to light. (Not only in AK, but in seveal places around the country.) I learned a lot!
    I'm still trying to figure out how it is some people think "talking things over" with people they don't agree with is wonderful in all cases and then cheer when a thread gets locked/deleted.
    X ten! Rep sent. A very few people ( who often claim how 'good' dialog is) are the first to cheer when dialog gets shut down. Just one of many of their inconsistent arguments.
    I didn't get to see the final result of the thread but appreciate (like many others) that Chief brought this episode forward. I found the dialog enlightening and learned a few more things - and I know others did too. The forum IS. a good place to learn (things).
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

PS..... If someone knows/finds out the latest results w regard to this occurrence, please pm me with the details. Thanks.

Just to clarify, nobody lobbied me to get the thread shut down, nor was there any "political correctness" involved (as one poster suggested). It was simply me returning home from the field and seeing a huge pile of poop on the front doorstep. You get the shovel out, clean it up and hose the place down. It's no more complicated than that.

And I did not prohibit anyone from discussing this issue. You are welcome to do so as long as it is within the constraints of our rules. Just don't bash each other, or bash local businesses!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Just to clarify, nobody lobbied me to get the thread shut down, nor was there any "political correctness" involved (as one poster suggested). It was simply me returning home from the field and seeing a huge pile of poop on the front doorstep. You get the shovel out, clean it up and hose the place down. It's no more complicated than that.
    No way Mike, there simply HAS to be a huge conspiracy, anybody with 1/2 a brain knows that!!!

(But what iI'm really concerned about is if the rep points one gets from a deleted thread are gone when the thread goes.....)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Your place, your business, and your call Mike...and I support those facts.

However, I do find it troubling as someone who tried to participate in the thread in a manner consistent with your parameters, to hear that all contributions to the thread were grouped and categorized as, "...a huge pile of poop on the doorstep...(requiring you to) clean it up and hose the place down."

There were some good contributions to that thread...just like the 2nd A thread (RIP).

and so the "tale" goes on and on and on - just some MORE politics IMO

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    No way Mike, there simply HAS to be a huge conspiracy, anybody with 1/2 a brain knows that!!!
    Care to explain what you are talking about HD?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post

And I did not prohibit anyone from discussing this issue. You are welcome to do so as long as it is within the constraints of our rules. Just don't bash each other, or bash local businesses!

-Mike
    OK, but I'm not suggesting that you shut down threads or lock them because you were lobbied to do so.

I contend that a notable few, quarrel for the sake of quarrling, knowing, that will be the result.

By "notable few", I mean that they are easy to identify.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    OK, but I'm not suggesting that you shut down threads or lock them because you were lobbied to do so.

I contend that a notable few, quarrel for the sake of quarrling, knowing, that will be the result.

By "notable few", I mean that they are easy to identify.

Smitty of the North
    Are you insinuating that content posted in violation of AOD rules would not otherwise be deleted, if not for the fact that some people choose to rebut such content?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I have been assured on multiple occasions by both moderators and Michael himself that the forum rules are enforced fairly and equitably regardless of the poster, the subject, and the replies.

Personally, that takes a huge load off my back since I don't need to worry about it myself. Thanks for your hard work guys!!!
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

When a person can not argue both sides of a case,they don't understand the case enough to pick a side.JMOFO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast