Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Alaskan boot blog

Default Another Alaskan boot blog

Ok guys I need your help on this. I need a new pair of boots my main concerns is something water proof and that will work for sheep hunting. I know I need to try them on and preference is huge with these. Looking for the best of the best been eyeing lowas and kentrek but the kentrek a have has some mixed review of leaking issues. I will also be using these on the north slope which so water proof is extremely important. I thouhjt about muck or cabelas tundra but just can't see making the hike five miles in muck boots and tundra would not work well for sheep. I'm thinking good boots waders and gaiters should suffice in sept as others here have said tat is what they used.

I also need help finding where I can try on these reccemdatioms in Fairbanks I believe sportsman carries kentrek but besides that I'm lost

Lowas
    Kenetrak
    Meindl
    Hanwag
    Vasque
    Scarpa
    Koflach? (Not sure if the still make leather boots)

These are all established makers of top quality leather mountaineering boots (apologies to any I overlooked)
    Boots in this class have the features necessary for serious mountain hunting: rigid/semi-rigid shank, high rand, roomy toe box, heel counters, lateral (ankle) support and super strong lacing systems.
    Another, simpler feature to look for is crampons. If a boot was built to accept crampons it's likely a good candidate for hunting sheep and goats.

After your weapon of choice, your boots are the single most important piece of gear you have. You owe it to yourself to buy quality and ensure good fit before you walk out the door. Wear your hunting socks and put both boots on, fully laced, and walk around the entire store. Wiggle your toes. On carpet, try and (gently)torque your foot inside the boot to gauge the slop you might encounter while side-hilling. Also on the carpet try and drive your toes into the front of the boot. Basically try and find the weak spot in that pair. Do this until you find a pair that gives you confidence.

In Fairbanks try the Prospector, or Beaver Sports. Big Ray's might have them.
    Do NOT go sheep hunting in muck boots.

As far as waterproofing? No leather boot is truly waterproof, and the ones that claim they are don't stay waterproof for long without upkeep.
    That said, I've been using SnoSeal on my boots for 20+ years and my feet rarely get wet.

Oh, and a set of basic, cordura OR brand gaiters are worth their weight in gold. (and don't forget the trekking poles)
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

If you're sheep hunting... mountaineering boots. If you're on the slope in the muck...hip boots.

They are not interchangeable.

In Fairbank hit Frontier Outfitters- they carry Lowas and others.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

From the way you explain your wants, I'm pretty sure you want plastics. Koflach or Scarpa.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Plastics = great when you're on the mountain
    Plastics = not so great getting to the mountain

That's been my experience anyway. YMMV.

Any number of high end leather mountaineering boots would get you there and back. Pick whatever fits your feet the best. +1 on the gaiters. I use Lowas with gaiters for sheep and for deer hunting in SE.

You might at least look around here
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mens-footwear~d~11/?osid=hp-_-category-_-012112-_-mens-footwear
    before you decide on anything. Although I see they don't have any Kenetreks now, last year I bought a pair for less than half price over the price I would have paid at SW. They are kinda limited on sizes but you could get lucky like I did. They do have Scarpa, Vasque, and Lowa as well. What I did was try a pair on local to make sure of the fit and then ordered them.

Sportsman's is now carrying zamberlan boots the vioz and the expert ibex

Beaver sports carries lowa and at least one other brand checking out.

Sportsman's in Fairbanks also carries the Kenetreks. That said, I'll double the recommendation for Frontier Outfitters/Wooly Rhino.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Zambelan Ibex GT Pro is best boot out right now. As good as original Meindls from Germany. They have a high tech carbon fiber shank and a great leather boot that has to be felt to be better explained. They are at Sportsman's Warehouse. They are a shorter boot and spendy but you will get what you pay for on them.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    Zambelan Ibex GT Pro is best boot out right now. As good as original Meindls from Germany. They have a high tech carbon fiber shank and a great leather boot that has to be felt to be better explained. They are at Sportsman's Warehouse. They are a shorter boot and spendy but you will get what you pay for on them.

Sincerely,
    Thomas
    And won't fit if you take a wide Zamberlan doesn't make them in wide and their measuring system is a little different so sportsman's might actually bring you a boot. The Vioz is their wide boot, I have been emailing Zamberlan back and forth about their boots since the vioz fits me great but I don't like the height.

Looking for reviews on this boot must be fairly new. For to say the Italian flag is rather an in attractive features to this boot though going to try the on. Also Conserned with the amount of stitching more stitching ice heard means mre leaking

Might want to check these out. Kuiu Zamberlan GT RR. Pricey but serious.

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post

Sincerely,
    Thomas
    Am I reading weight are these made from suede leather. If so isn't that kinda a boar choice for water proof capabilities

I think I've narrowed to two possible choices the lows hunter kennetrek mountain guide or extreme. I tried the zamberini gt rr at sportsmans and these things are awesome wish they made them in a taller boot but for a hunting boot the taller versions I think are needed for water proof capabilities such as stream crossing. I've even considered forgoing a tall boot because I thought it was such a nice boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota boy View Post
    wish they made them in a taller boot but for a hunting boot the taller versions I think are needed for water proof capabilities such as stream crossing.
    The thing that's nice about a taller boot is when you are hunting near bog and shallow swamp. Let's face it, if the waters are too deep, it doesn't matter how tall they are. But when it comes time to walk through deep bog, or flooded woods, that extra few inches does make a difference. Wore mine to hunt everything.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota boy View Post
    I think I've narrowed to two possible choices the lows hunter kennetrek mountain guide or extreme. I tried the zamberini gt rr at sportsmans and these things are awesome wish they made them in a taller boot but for a hunting boot the taller versions I think are needed for water proof capabilities such as stream crossing. I've even considered forgoing a tall boot because I thought it was such a nice boot.
    If you like the Zamberlans get 'em- very good boots by all reports I've heard.

A lower boot and gaiters can handle any stream crossing you'll do in taller boots alone. Think really hard about taller boots- Those real tall ones put a ton of pressure on the shins and offer little return in added sport.

The support you're looking for is torsional rigidity- a boot that doesn't twist. Grab the toe and heel and twist in opposite directions, a good mountaineering boot will have almost no flex- that will help you sidehill and climb.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post
    Plastics = great when you're on the mountain
    Plastics = not so great getting to the mountain
    /

not everyone thinks that... to me besides being second to none in the mountains the benies of plastics go wayyy beyond.. they also shine in the tussoks of the arctic to keep the ankles from rolling on those **** things with heavy loads on your back, with glacier socks there is never another need for sloppy hippers ever again and you gain so much more stability when crossing fast moving rivers,I know several guides the wear them down in the lower 48 elk hunting,heck I even love mine in the mud in the marsh duck hunting.. They are the only hunting boot I own..

If I could only have one pair of boots, I'd have a good pair of hiking boots, whatever with a $300+ retail price or better, with green superfeet insoles and gaiters, probably a pair of Neos Sourdough Slipper Overboots from Barney's, http://barneyssports.com/footwear/ov...e-green-m.html, or Wiggy's Light Weight Waders, http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Produ...TOKEN=52713109, for stream crossings, and a pair of slip on type camp shoes. If you are doing something where weight wasn't a problem, I'd thow in a pair of LaCrosse hip waders. I'm using a pair of Cabela's Alaska Hunter Boots by Meindl, mainly because I got them when the new store in Allen, TX opened and they had a pair that fit me in the bargain cave for $175. Otherwise, I'd probably have a pair of Lowa Sheep Hunters.

You need to pick SOMETHING as soon as possible. Actually last month would have been better if you are thinking August sheep. You are pretty much out of time to break them in right.

Not only do you need to get the leather broke in, you really need to break your feet in to wearing stiff mountain boots. No substitute for either of those things except time and miles.

Yk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast