Thread: Water in tubes of inflatable dinghy....

Default Water in tubes of inflatable dinghy....

After a soggy 4th of July in PWS, I noticed it was a bit heavy and when I moved it around, sure enough, there is is a bit of water sloshing around on the inside.

Anyone have any tips or tricks on how to get water out from inside the tubes? Tried reversing the pump already...

The valves (and pumps) on my Aire cataraft allow me to pump air out, to make packing the tubes easier, but - I learnt - also let me pump out a few pints of water which had accumulated somehow in the tubes. The valves on your dinghy are probably not the same type - but if they are like your car tires, you can remove the inner stem and drain the water that way, maybe? Good luck.

What kind of valves does it have? How many chambers? Single valve per chamber?
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

invert. tip toward the valves. press valve. should come right out.

Quote Originally Posted by Colby Jack View Post
    invert. tip toward the valves. press valve. should come right out.
    Inflate first so the air pressure forces the water out.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Inflate first so the air pressure forces the water out.
    Yes. Assumed it was inflated. Thanks.

Most of the suggestions I've read won’t totally dry out your tubes unless the valve you have is one that is glued to the fabric and the workings of the valve project above the tube. . Though most the current valves being used on inflatable boats are flush mounted and have a large nut on the inside of the tube. The valve screws into the large nut inside. This inside nut is built deep to protect the inner workings of the valve.
    To dry out the inside of your tube you need to remove the valve by using a valve wrench. Once the valve is removed dump the water out of the hole in the tube the valve fits into. The large nut will fall to the inside of the tube. It's pretty easy to find later because it's about half the size of your fist. Make sure when you screw the valve back into the nut that you have the flange side up so the valve with thread into the correct side of the inside nut. Using a shop vac on reverse will work pretty good to blow air into the tube to re-inflate it with the valve still removed. This will allow you to make sure the valve hole is the low spot so you can drain out all the water and get enough air rushing around to somewhat dry out inside.

Good boating
    Jim King
    Alaska Series Inflatable Boats,
    The Toughest Bottoms in the Business,
    River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks,
    Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats,
    Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies.

WWW.alaskaseries.com (907)248-2900