Thread: Fishing East Fork of Eklutna

Default Fishing East Fork of Eklutna

I'm looking to head out there in a couple of weeks for some backpacking and am thinking of throwing in the fly rod. Anyone have any idea whether there might be some rainbows or dollies in there, or is it to glaciated to bother fishing?

Thanks for any help.

-Daniel

I drove my snowmachine out there in May a couple years ago and fly fished from the bridge down. I got tons of little dollies. Very small (6-10")but very fun. Surprisingly hard to fool them though. Tiny bead head nymphs were about all that would get their attention. That was in spring before the snowmelt though, so the creeks tend to run very low and clear compared to summer. I would bring the rod and hit all the feeder creeks where they meet the lake. I would bet East fork will be clear but maybe running fast. It flattens out down stream though. Good luck.

DanMan,

I tried to send you a PM, but it didn't go through. No bows or dollies, but you may find some small char. There is a great campsite at the Tulchina Falls.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll throw the flyrod in the pack and see what we can find! Should be fun regardless.