Thread: APH Summer Family Festival on Saturday July 20, 11am-5pm

Default APH Summer Family Festival on Saturday July 20, 11am-5pm

I want to invite and encourage all waterfowlers to stop by at Reflection Lake for the APH Summer Family Festival. I realize that many of you are in disagreement with the Alaskans for Palmer Hayflats. I believe a lot of this can be resolved though discussion and getting to know more about the APH. We want to represent the views of all user groups of the Palmer Hay Flats. The leadership of the APH has changed drastically over the past year. At last nights board meeting, the senior board member there has only been on the board for a year. We have new and fresh ideas about what needs to be done and direction that APH is heading. We want waterfowlers to be represented in this planning. We are the only organized user group that is working towards keeping the Palmer Hayflats as a recreational playground for Alaskans to hunt, fish, birdwatch, hike, and enjoy Alaskan tidal wetlands at its best. Don't be afraid to come out and visit with the APH. Nobody is going to try and turn you into a tree hugger, we need your input and criticism to round out user input.

At the festival, there will be booths of interest for all users. Yes, the Alaska Waterfowl Association will be there. A duck call representative will be there with demo and raffle of duck calls. Hunting retrievers will be demonstrated. Food will be available for modest donation. Live music, canoe and kyak rentals. Duck boats and motors will be displayed and demo available. Activities for kids and adults alike, from all user groups. Several hundred people attended last year, and we expect more this year. Come and join us. Also, we, the waterfowlers need help, we could use more volunteers to help show the public what waterfowling is all about. Hope to see you all there. Bud 240 4090
    Wasilla

F&G has a request, any volunteers here?

do you think you could drum up 3-5 volunteers to run a spin and fly casting practice area? I can probably get all the equipment, we just need someone to run it. It's meant mostly for kids but adults usually try as well. We don't use hooks (just a weight) and we have targets people cast into.

Let me know. PM with name and phone number would be best. Bud
    Wasilla

Banned

I want to run a wood working decoy setup on the water and have e-mailed APH about it. I make Alaska calls also.

Banned

BKdog, Contacted director of Palmer Hay Flats group today about doing a waterfowl decoy and call demonstration and she said it was great and maybe contact with you as you and your wife were doing something. I was out there at reflection lake yesterday and talked to the host about the area. I plan to rig my Alaska school wood decoys right off the near beach in the shallow water. It will be interesting as most folks think they are real birds as the colors are matched to seasonal Alaska ducks.

SM, that area on the left, the beach in front of the rotunda will most likely be very active with the canoes and kyaks. If you want them to be very visable to the most people and not be where they can be damaged, down by the bridge would be best. Our dogs are pretty much use to deks and ignore them, but if those are that lifelike, really don't want a dog retrieving ducks to chomp into one of them. We will run the retrievers in another area. We are going to try and put all the waterfowling displays and gear on the right side, from the bridge on down, in the slough that feeds the lake.

Last winter we had a meeting at Pizzaman to discuss forming a club. Most everybody there agreed that we need a organization to work towards improving waterfowl habitat on the flats. I think APH can do that, along with AWA which will be well represented at the festival. We will have nest box building (hen houses), calling, your deks and spread knowhow, blind building, retriever demonstrations, and much much more of interest to waterfowlers.

I still need more volunteers to help with casting and flyfishing practice and demonstrations for kids and adults. Hope some of these guys can step up to help the kids. Might even do some looking around and decide that APH isn't as green as its reputation. Bud
    Wasilla

Guys, Bud and myself will be there in the morning between 9ish-12 setting up the AWA site. We both have gathered and rounded up a few to assist. All the help is appreciated and ensure you bring the whe family. Looking forward to meeting allot of forum members and representig AWA while there. Come by and pick up a brochure on AWA, enter some drawings for some nice waterfowling gear and get a chance to buy some custom made duck calls from Watsons Calls.

Thanks for the support
    Hugh
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Banned

Hi again, I can do the flyfishing demo. I do quite an active cast using a double line haul on Lee Wulff reproduction ultralight gear that looks showy.

Hey SM, your help and expertese will be appreciated. Our demo and flycasting practice will be primarly set up for kids to use and learn with. We will be having it over the hill in the flat grassy area between the slough inlet and the main portion of reflection lake. Call and we can discuss it, or happy to meet you down there sometime this week. Bud
    Wasilla

Banned

Bud, I could meet you down there. Lost the phone # in old e-mails somewhere. What is it again? Mine is 229-5267

SM, my cell is 240 4090
    Wasilla

OK, we have a number of you lined up to help this comeing saturday. Thanks to those who volunteered. I hope the rest of you have time to stop by if you are not out of town or working. Perfect opportunity to meet and talk with some of the APH people, and F&G. Let them know what the duck hunters think of what is going on down there. There is a lot of mis-information around also. The no shooting signs within a half mile of road at Reflection Lake and Cottonwood Creek apply only to target shooting. Perfectly legal to hunt, dog train, etc anyplace in the refuge. That came direct from Joe Meehan. They are just trying to keep the vandalism down. We will have a lot to offer the public and new duck hunters at this event. Hand carved decoy layout, duck calling, raffle of duck calls, several duck boats on display in the water, texas rigging of decoys, lead mold casting for decoy weights, blind building, and i'm sure much more. Hope to see everybody out there. Bud
    Wasilla

HATS HIGH IN THE AIR TO ALL YOU WATERFOWLERS WHO ARE STEPPING FORWARD TO PART OF THE FUTURE OF PHF BY SHARING YOUR PASSION FOR THE SPORT AND THE REFUGE HABITAT! This is a great opportunity to be part of the public education necessary to teach good conservation of public lands.

I'm in town this weekend and I'll try to bring my son out. Never used the flats before. Hope to meet DuckHunter01 while I'm there. Dunno if I'll bring the dog or not; not sure if it's the best environment for him.

Directions to this shin-dig??

Cost??

Crossing the hayflats from either directon, take the first Knik River exit, Reflection lake is on the west side of the highway and there will be lots of cars parked there and signs marking the exit. Runs from 11am to 5 pm, feel free to come early and help with the set up, or just enjoy the refuge before the crowd arrives. You can also park at the boat ramp and walk the trail over to the boardwalk and easy walk the the festivities. There will be lots available to eat, live music, and fun stuff for the kids and whole family as well as waterfowl displays. If you bring your dog, try and keep him under control. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    If you bring your dog, try and keep him under control. Bud
    LOL. I had already decided to leave him home. My 11 yr old son let him out hte door this morning with no e collar and no leash and the dog bolted. My son gave chase, which made him run farther. I caught up to them half an hour and 1/4 mile later with the truck.

sorry, did not mean to sound like a ass. there is no leash law that is enforceable there, just don't want to see a specator dog take off after a mark thrown for the retriever handlers that are there. Bud
    Wasilla

Camo shirts. For you guys and gals that will be joining us on Saturday either to work at one of the waterfowl exhibits or just to take a look and see what is going on. I am requesting that you wear a camo shirt of some sort. Just want to let the others there know that there are a lot of waterfowl hunters that use the flats. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Camo shirts. For you guys and gals that will be joining us on Saturday either to work at one of the waterfowl exhibits or just to take a look and see what is going on. I am requesting that you wear a camo shirt of some sort. Just want to let the others there know that there are a lot of waterfowl hunters that use the flats. Bud
    That's a good idea.