Thread: Thinking about moving up to Alaska

Default Thinking about moving up to Alaska

I used to live in Montana and hunted 100 days a year, got a real job with the DoD and moved to Colorado 25 years ago. Colorado's nice, but it's getting too **** hot and crowded. My two sons will be done with college in a few years so am thinking about relocating. I have some health issues (CHF) but still get around fine and can still fish and hunt though no packing out an elk by myself anymore. Thinking about Homer, Kodiak looking for other suggestions. I want to be somewhere I can fly my two sons into visit that doesn't cost a fortune. Hunt and fish some, see brown bears regularly. Have some privacy but be near an artist community for my wife (she's a studio potter). Any suggestions welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckscap View Post
    Hunt and fish some, see brown bears regularly. Have some privacy but be near an artist community for my wife (she's a studio potter). Any suggestions welcome.
    Id say homer, grid wood or talkeetna as possible options. There's really nowhere in AK that you can't hunt and fish if you want to...

I'd also say Homer at first glance. However your requirement to fly in your sons regularly without costing a fortune is wishful thinking, especially in the summer months.

I'd look into Haines and Juneau areas. Each has it's own benefits with Haines attached to a road system, less tour ships, decent fishing and the arts. Juneau has better fishing, good health services, museum, tourists galore and ammenities.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Id say homer, grid wood or talkeetna as possible options. There's really nowhere in AK that you can't hunt and fish if you want to...
    Yep, but you should go up to Anchorage, rent a car and drive to all and spend a few days. I'd bet Homer is going to be the most cost effective of the three for living and having access to things like groceries. I'd scratch Kodiak off the list for cheap visits by relatives.

Airfare to Alaska is expensive and will only go up. I'd say whether the r/t is $900 per person or $1200 per person shouldn't be your deciding factor, in the big scheme it's small potatoes compared to Alaskan living expenses. The best advice is to come up to Alaska and visit several areas. When you find one you like, rent a place for a year or two before settling down so you have some flexibility and so you aren't locked into an area you find out isn't for you.

Homer is probably one of the best choices due to the artist community, but it's not one of the best choices for hunting though plenty of excellent fishing. The times I've spent in Kodiak have been great and I love the community there. That said winters can be rough, you're living on an island and I'm not so sure there is a thriving artist community, oustandind saltwater fishing and some good hunting.

Personally I'd say SE is a strong contender, great hunting and fishing, and milder winters. The tradeoff would be you'd likely have to be in one of the cruise ship ports for the artist community, and there is a wierd dicotomy of tourist attraction during the summer and ghost down during the off season.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.