Thread: anchorage taxidermist

Default anchorage taxidermist

Looking for some insight to local taxidermist. Who has a reasonable turn around ( about 4-5 months), is affordable and most of all does quality work. Looking to nail one down before seasons open.

Jesse lives in Palmer and is a good taxi, fair prices and turn around. He did a Blacktail and has a Ram of mine now. He is a member here.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dahlb...05578376146569
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

wolf 12.jpgsteele2.jpgDave McClannahan, Lone Wolf Taxidermy in Eagle River. 696-3611. Dave is also a memeber here.

No offense to anyone as I do know for a fact there are guys that can run a job in that timeframe, but, time shouldn't be a factor when selecting a taxidermist. Neither should price.

To me, your request reads:

I need a taxidermist who does it cheaper then everyone else, does good work and oh btw I need it back in 4-5 months. What this lands you is a nightmare. A shop that's shady, skips town, has a shop full of customers stuff and is a fart in the wind.

Again, just my opinion.

That being said, what are you looking to get mounted and why such a short timeframe? 12 months for many people is a quick turnaround. Something to think about. Don't pick a taxi based off pure recommendation, visit their shop and see what they have in the works.

The latest work I've had done was a black bear and an antler mount. Work was done by Dahlberg's Taxidermy. I'm happy with the work, timeframe was more than reasonable.

I can send pics if you'd like.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

One of the biggest problems is that Mouted in alaska show.

They portrayed us taxidermists doing unrealistick completion times as well as dickering on our prices.

Totaly misrepresented our occupation.

I can mount a Lifesize Grizzly in less that a month completion but to put someone ahead of the other 200 people in line already you would be paying DOUBLE the mounting fees.

We have acctually had people that have opted to do it too.

The big problem is most taxidermists have to wait for skins to come back from the tannery & in most cases that takes about 60 days.
    Where I can have a skin done in 2 weeks because we have our own tanneries. ( Not auto tanners either )

The price thing speaks for its self.
    EVERYBODY wants a deal, & just because they save $300. they seam to overlook the crap taxidermy quality. We see it every day in our industry.

I have even had guys that went to the other guy bring their mount in that they just picked up at the other guys wanting to know if we can fix the mess created by the cheaper guy. Then they find out that we Wont touch it or it ends up costing a Lot more that if they brought it to us in the first place.

BUT on the other hand waiting 2 or 3 years for a mount is rediculous & so is paying an outragious price for Average taxidermy.

Just because someone is way behind doesnt make them a Super taxidermist & neither does the highest prices in town.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks

RJ pretty much summed it up.. last year I had a guy bring me a huge caribou rack, and a tanned cape from fairbanks. I was in caribou mode at the time.. so I just did his with the ones I was already doing since I had several extra caribou forms and his cape fit one.. he got it back in 3 months ballpark.. Not typical by any means.. Average wait times it 6-12 months.. sometimes closer to 6, sometimes towards 12.. all depends I guess.. Here is a pic of the gentelmans Bou..

Jerod Bull.jpg
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

I'm very aware of what to expect from a taxi, I spent much time in the shop with my taxidermist in the lower 48. I have had guys mess up mounts with a lack of attention to detail (off set horns, crooked eyes ect.) and I know the garage shops that pull a deposit, take your animal and disappear. I am putting the question out there so that I begin a relationship with my taxidermist. My taxidermist is like my family doctor, need to know he can be trusred, knows what he's doing and does it well and isn't reaching deep into my pockets. I don't believe a shoulder mount on a deer should run more than $800 or take 8 months to complete (tracking size, mount type and affect turn around). I know what the form cost (yes I know its AK and things cost more to ship) and what a hide cost to tan and how long a good tannery can turn it a round in. I understand that there is an order to which job is done next. I work for uncle sam so not rolling in the $. My son just started hunting so we like to capture his trophies as well as document our adventures in AK. Just looking for a good taxidermist to build a long lasting relationship. Thanks for all the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    wolf 12.jpgsteele2.jpgDave McClannahan, Lone Wolf Taxidermy in Eagle River. 696-3611. Dave is also a memeber here.
    Give Dave a call and arrange to go over and see him. He's retired military and gives a discount to military people. Take a look and talk to him. If it soesn;t work out, what have you lost? Personally, he's done all my work for the last 6 or 7 years.

just fished with a guy who also made the recommendation I will go check Dave out. Thanks.

Well heck when I worked doing taxidermy in south Texas I knew a guy that got a deer dropped off in the morning and by 5pm it was on the form drying. They put fans on it and three days later the client came and picked it up.

If you pm me i will tell you who not to go with.

This taxidermist question is one I hear plenty. I'll echo the previous statement that they are like a family doctor. When your a serious and successful hunter your taxidermy wants are high. Your gonna find yourself in all kinds of weird situations after a hunt trying to efficiently care for a trophy. An access able trustworth individual is far more important than the size of a billboard. Do your best as a customer. Do your very best as a hunter/hide preparer. If your taxi can see your level of concern for the hide that can translate into the finished piece. I want my taxi focused on the art and skill required to mount. I can do the dirty work.
    I'll vouch for Jesse Dahlberg. He's got alot of skill and will venture into custom work. Although currently I choose a different man for the job, not because I feel Dahlberg is inferior but because I have a firm relationship I'm not ready to abandon. Treat your taxi right!