Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LAs versus Beeg Bore handguns

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I would say that Handguns were not built for accuracy, but for portability, yet many handguns, not just the beeg bores, can be Very Accurate.

I've not seen LAs associated with ANY shooting that requires great accuracy.

I don't think that as much effort has been expended to MAKE them accurate, like has been done with handguns. And other rifle types.

I reckon we gotta accept what IS .

I've heard a lot of wild claims, but I'd love to see targets that that show how accurate a good LA can be, other than Synd's .

I'm doubting they'll be as good as the handgun groups I've seen shot by an acquaintance.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Check out any of the SASS type events and you will fine the L/A at work. Many of these shoots have side events using the lever guns at 300 to 600 yards on steel targets.
    http://www.smssgazette.com/photos_action.htm
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Smitty about a year ago I sold off the most accurate rifle I ever shot, it was a lever. Winchester 88 in 308 so kinda cheating, but still a lever. The action type is pretty well irrelevant to accuracy, once the round is locked into battery it donít matter how it got delivered there. There isnít any reason a lever canít be made to shoot extremely well but all the factories care about when they assemble a lever is that itís in a deer size vital zone at 100 yards. So 140 years of factories supplying millions of units with ďgood enoughĒ accuracy and levers get a reputation as inherently inaccurate. Do some minor accurizing on a lever, get the extra stuff to stop putting funny pressures on the barrel and they shoot as good as say a Ruger #1. Which is pretty dang good.

Sorta the same with handguns, good enough accuracy is all they care about. But they have the advantage that little to nothing encumbers the barrels to spoil fine accuracy like on most lever rifles. Ruger 45 Colt Redhawks is a good example for handguns, they ship with good enough accuracy but if you want a real tack driver more than likely youíll need to do a little minor tuning to them. The average Redhawk buyer canít shoot it well enough to even know it could benefit from a little tuning so Ruger doesnít waste the extra time at the factory . . . And those that can tell would usually prefer to tune it their own way anyhow.

Ifin your too discussed with that 92 not shootin for ya maybe I should buy it before it has you turned off levers all together. Itís got ya so worked up you are even forgetting how well Iíve seen ya shoot with your Marlin lever using iron sights shootin again a pack of scopes . . . looked pretty dang accurate to me!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Looking for velocity alone is always a mistake and because the rifle shoots faster will always depend on accuracy and bullet/boolit work for the animal. The lever gun is capable of 1/2" groups at 100 yards. So is a good revolver. Is one better? NO. But a revolver can shoot. You shoot the rifle from bags so why shoot a revolver off hand? If you shoot both off hand they are equal at 100 yards too.
    Your lever gun must be worked for accuracy and is also good. Why do my revolvers shoot better? It is because the lever gun was not worked.
    The only lever guns not worth a thing are .44's with a 1 in 38" twist.

One of the best groups I ever shot was with a Marlin 1895 (11/32 on and inch at 100 yards, 3 shot group). Only other really good targets were with my muzzle loader and my Sharps. Jim

There are a few reasons why LAs such as the Win 92 and 94 and the similar Marlins tend to be not as accurate as a lot of other gun designs. The mag tube is more or less attached to the bottom of the barrel and the action. The barrel heats but the mag tube doesn't tending to vary pressure on the barrel. How many rounds in the mag and the different spring pressure probably effects things. The actions aren,t the most rigid designs, the triggers are usually less than good, the chambers tend toward sloppy and probably a lot of other things I haven't mentioned. Most of these things could be overcome with enough work. A typical 4" S&W revolver usually has a very good trigger, and a short very stiff barrel with nothing pushing on one side. If scopes are used on both to eliminate sight radius difference and both are bench rested, the revolver will probably out shoot the average LA. Now if you move to a single shot levergun such as Win highwalls, Sharps or Ruger No1. things change toward favoring the rifle. Sometimes though you run across the LA that just shoots a lot better than average. My 92 Win in 25/20 with a weak barrel shoots about 2" at 100yds with cast. Not great, but good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Smitty about a year ago I sold off the most accurate rifle I ever shot, it was a lever. Winchester 88 in 308 so kinda cheating, but still a lever. The action type is pretty well irrelevant to accuracy, once the round is locked into battery it donít matter how it got delivered there. There isnít any reason a lever canít be made to shoot extremely well but all the factories care about when they assemble a lever is that itís in a deer size vital zone at 100 yards. So 140 years of factories supplying millions of units with ďgood enoughĒ accuracy and levers get a reputation as inherently inaccurate. Do some minor accurizing on a lever, get the extra stuff to stop putting funny pressures on the barrel and they shoot as good as say a Ruger #1. Which is pretty dang good.

Sorta the same with handguns, good enough accuracy is all they care about. But they have the advantage that little to nothing encumbers the barrels to spoil fine accuracy like on most lever rifles. Ruger 45 Colt Redhawks is a good example for handguns, they ship with good enough accuracy but if you want a real tack driver more than likely youíll need to do a little minor tuning to them. The average Redhawk buyer canít shoot it well enough to even know it could benefit from a little tuning so Ruger doesnít waste the extra time at the factory . . . And those that can tell would usually prefer to tune it their own way anyhow.

Ifin your too discussed with that 92 not shootin for ya maybe I should buy it before it has you turned off levers all together. Itís got ya so worked up you are even forgetting how well Iíve seen ya shoot with your Marlin lever using iron sights shootin again a pack of scopes . . . looked pretty dang accurate to me!
    It's an interesting study.

The 88 has a One piece stock versus the Two piece stocks on the kinda LAs I like.

I read somewhere some of the things that can be done to make a LA more accurate.

Again, I doubt that there has been much effort expended to make LAs more accurate.

I think a lotta my problems I've had with the Puma 357 is due to my shooting. It also has a terrible trigger.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I'm starting to hear some things, from you guys, now.

It was a sorta crazy question. Comparing LAs to Beeg handguns, but I would see excellent handgun groups, that I couldn't even approach with my LAs. and so I went from there.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I love lever guns, there is not a single thing wrong with them and most will match a BA. Only load work, same as a revolver or any gun. But what you shoot from a revolver might not be right in the LG.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I would say that Handguns were not built for accuracy, but for portability, yet many handguns, not just the beeg bores, can be Very Accurate.

I've not seen LAs associated with ANY shooting that requires great accuracy.

I don't think that as much effort has been expended to MAKE them accurate, like has been done with handguns. And other rifle types.

I reckon we gotta accept what IS .

I've heard a lot of wild claims, but I'd love to see targets that that show how accurate a good LA can be, other than Synd's .

I'm doubting they'll be as good as the handgun groups I've seen shot by an acquaintance.

SOTN
    Sorry if I am reviving a old thread, but when I get a chance I will shot some groups with my RedHawk 45 Colt 4.2 inch and my Rossi 92 45 Colt 16 inch. And just for kicks my Vaquero and New Vaquero both 45 colt. I will post them here. My new Vaquero is surprisingly accurate. This will be fun.

Twodogs10mm,,,, I'm traveling right now, but when i'm back in a few days,,,, i'd like to give you some feed-back on your Post.
    TG
    [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12