Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LAs versus Beeg Bore handguns

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default LAs versus Beeg Bore handguns

I'm talkin bout 44 mag, hot 45, 454, 480, 460, and the like.

Versus Marlins and Winchester 94s and 92 replicas.

From what I see here on this forum, the handguns are more accurate.

For me, I can't shoot either very well. Never was good with a handgun at longer ranges, and I've only owned 1 LA that is accurate enough to be of value to me.

What do da Xperts say?

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Well I'm far from being an Xpert and only have one levergun but it shoots great. Here's my "bear load" in my 454 Redhawk and the 454 Levergun. The levergun adds about 400fps. 355gr .452 at 1600fps times 10 in the tube is a nice little package. I packed it last weekend fishing and hiking with the wifey. I've shot 200gr 45 Colt plinkers up to 425 gr 454's in this Puma 92. It's a great gun.

This seems to be a good load. 422gr is what this boolit dropped with my alloy. 1442 fps 47 yds. I think I could push it a little harder but don't see any reason to. Jumps crimp in the wheel gun though so I stick with the 355ers in it.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

The only advantage of the handgun is it leaves your hands free until needed. No real advantage in tight places because with your arms stretched out in handgun shooting position rifle and pistol muzzle will hit the same stuff. From the hip the rifle may well be more accurate for most folk. No Xpert for sure just MOFO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

That's a real nice combo you have there Snyd. I love my Rossi lever gun, very accurate.

I'm no expert either, but I'll quote from a "A Fist Full of Dollars"

"When a man with a 45 meets a man with a rifle, the man with the pistol will be a dead man."

At any rate, I much prefer a lever action to just about anything. I think a lot of the "accuracy problems" come from having to shoot round nosed bullets due to the tubular magazine. Hornady was making htose leverrevolution rounds which were essentially a hollow point with a rubber pointed tip on them. I haven't used them because noneof my lever gun shooting friends have been very impressed with them.

As Snyd already noted, the longer barrel in the lever gun helps develop more velocity, and I think, in those calibers listed, 100 yards should be no real issue for those guns. Conversely, 100 yards for a 4" barreled hand gun in ANY caliber? I think that's a stretch.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It would seem reasonable that one could shoot a LA rifle more accurately, because a rifle is easier, but is the firearm design more accurate?

LAs have a lotta stuff hangin off the barrel.

Snyd's rifle groups don't look a whole lot better than the handgun groups.

Again, this is judging from the targets and testimony posted on this handgun forum. I could get the idea these big handguns are more accurate.

There are apparently more folks who hunt with handguns, than with LAs, but maybe they're into stunts.

I see all this stuff done with handguns, and I can't do that with a rifle and iron sights. It makes me wonder if they can. Say, at up to 25 yards. With a LA.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

A rifle uses the same chamber for each shot,not so with the revolver. My old Marlin 45/70 would shoot three inch groups at two hundred yards with peep sight.My skills do not let me do that at one hundred yards with any pistol I have owned except for a TC with scope which did five inch groups at two hundred yards,44mag.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Kinda off topic, but I shot my 44 mag SRH, 7.5" bbl, thru a chrono last night at a 35 yd target. Was not impressed with my shooting, that is something I probably need to rectify......

.....but I did record velocities in the neighborhood of 1800 fps for factory Remington 240 JHPs. (At least I think they are 240s, I lost the box and they are old...) I was suprised how fast they were. I woulda said the chrono was wrong, but my 357 and 338 handloads measured right where they should be at....

I'm not much of a levergunner, maybe thats just because I've never had one! I have to admit, I am coming around to the idea of a 45/70...

1,800 fps is about 200fps fast for even the Remington 180gr ammo.

I suppose it is possible that they were 180 grain...although I did find load data on the Hodgdons site that listed 240 gr JHP with H110 at over 1700 fps...I'll test it with some handloads...

sorry for the hijack...

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    It would seem reasonable that one could shoot a LA rifle more accurately, because a rifle is easier, but is the firearm design more accurate?

LAs have a lotta stuff hangin off the barrel.

Snyd's rifle groups don't look a whole lot better than the handgun groups.

Again, this is judging from the targets and testimony posted on this handgun forum. I could get the idea these big handguns are more accurate.

There are apparently more folks who hunt with handguns, than with LAs, but maybe they're into stunts.

I see all this stuff done with handguns, and I can't do that with a rifle and iron sights. It makes me wonder if they can. Say, at up to 25 yards. With a LA.

SOTN
    Sounds like we all need to meet up at a range someplace and do some "research."

Well, if your 240 grainers were really "old" factory loads, they could be doing around 1400fps because the 44 was originally loaded to somewhere near 1500fps. They have since down-loaded the factory load from around 43,000psi to a more sedate pressure. Jim

They have down loaded the 44 mag to about 38,000 PSI I am afraid

240 GR. NOS JHP Hodgdon H110 .429" 1.600" 23.0 1750 25,200 CUP 24.0 1817 36,200 CUP

Not to kick a dead horse, but Hodgdons website lists the above load for H110 and 240 gr bullets. I know this is probably from a longer bbl, but if they are showing 1817 fps and only 36K CUP...what is that in PSI (if such a conversion is possible )? ....and why would they be loading factory ammo to lower pressures Thanks for the info

Yep but thats the rifle numbers.They do show 1,451 for pistol. Speer

Sorry guys, guess I should pay attention to where I'm at a little more..thanks Will.

We have all been there or will if we live long enough,myself been there many times.

I can't say that one of those 2 guns is more accurate than the other. I posted mainly to show that with those 2 guns and the same load, same shooter, open sights, 50yds they shoot as good as each other. I do however think that with different sights and a good open sight shooter the rifle can shoot better than that. The sights on it are HiViz. Great for seeing quickly but not the best for precision shooting. The RH has standard factory sights. I can shoot tighter groups at 50yds with my SBH 45 Colt with a 2X weaver but that's about the best I can shoot with open sights. A couple times, when the stars lined up just right, I was able to shoot 3rnd clover leaf with the RH at 25yds but it's not the norm for me. I think the guns can out shoot me.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Snyd its the same with my Alaskan,HiVis front and V rear. Pie pan at fifty yards saucer at twenty five yards clover leafs at ten yards where I plan on shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I think the guns can out shoot me.
    I'm pretty sure most guns can out shoot most of us.......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Handguns are generally as accurate as rifles, it only takes a couple inches of barrel to make a projectile stable. Thing is though itís a whappin lot easer to repeat the same point of aim with a rifle than a handgun so many assume the shotgun looking group is because the handgun itself is less accurate. Not the case, lock a handgun down in a rest where the point of aim is repeatable and itís amazing how well they print paper.

Levers are not made to be tack drivers, they were made to follow up a shot fast. Just like an AR, AK, or 1911 accuracy wasnít a major concern from the get-go getting more lead out was so if you want a lever to shoot bugs at 100 yards your gonna need to do some tuning unless your very lucky. Making one really shoot assuming you have a good barrel is in the fitment of the magazine tube and forearm to the receiver and barrel, they tend to all fight each other and string bullets all over as they take on heat. Tricky to fix but not imposable. I love levers, light, handy, fast, dependable, and they eat light loads as well as hot loads . . .
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast