Thread: moose/caribou hunting

Default moose/caribou hunting

Hi everyone. im new to the forum and to alaska (fairbanks).. but i have big plans for hunting everything i can, however I dont plan on getting to do much hunting until i become a resident, but there is no way im going all year without hunting some type of big game. the problem is i have no idea where to start. alaska is huge. haha.

I was wondering if anyone had any info they would be willing to share on areas that have better odds of seeing trophy quality animals. Im not asking for anyones family's secret hunting spot, or anything like that, just looking for any info i can get. i dont want to be limited to the roads, im willing to do what ever to get to a good spot.

also if anyone know of people to contact for flights or boat trips that would be great too.

I was thinking either hunting caribou or moose just for the simple fact that a non res. can hunt them without a guide, so that would help on cost, but im open to any type of hunting. if anyone knows of a hunt i should look into let me know, im open to anything.

just a note: i moved up here this spring for work and im original from the midwest and i have a ton of hunting experience and drive, im not easily scared of a challenge. Im an ethical person and hunter, and i respect every animal i hunt, i am a trophy hunter, but i eat everything i take. i currently live in fairbanks.

thanks for all the help and good luck to eveyone this fall.

If you want to hunt caribou google 70 north air taxi for a haul rd fly out.

(webmaster note: 70 North is listed in our directory, along with many other air charter services. HERE IS THE LINK.)
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 07-10-2013 at 09:27.

Black Bear eating berries in the fall is a great hunt. Tag not too expensive. Pretty good odds down on the Kenai Peninsula. Welcome to Alaska.

Speaking of moose, have you ever put 100-150 lbs on your pack and moved it any distance? Most places, especially fly out, you have to keep the meat on the bone. I'd suggest caribou to start. Then, for moose, I'd stick to where you can get to it pretty close with a truck, ATV, or boat, and round up a friend or two.

Default Planning Your Alaska Hunt

Hi,

Welcome to Outdoors Directory! This is a very common question here, and we have created some resources that deal directly with this. I would start with the discussion thread at the top of our Hunting Forum (this forum), titled, "A Hunt Planning Primer". That thread covers all the essential resources you need, and provides a structure for planning your hunts. As you will discover, planning a hunt in Alaska is (for most) a challenge unlike hunt planning anywhere else in the country. Whereas in most places you just toss the rifle and a day pack into the pickup and head out for the day, in Alaska you start planning a year or more in advance. The logistics alone are much more complicated than you are probably used to. How do you find a place to hunt? How do you find a reliable air service? Once you get there, how do you figure out how to hunt the area? How can you get away from other hunters? What are the legal requirements in terms of antler size, meat salvage, permits, tag requirements, evidence of sex, etc? What should you bring, and how do you get it all moved from home to the field and back? What are the costs involved? These and many other questions must be answered or you will make critical and costly mistakes. And accept the fact that you will make mistakes on your first few hunts up here; it's part of learning how to hunt Alaska.

A lot of the learning process involves knowing the right questions to ask (and not to ask), who to ask, when to ask, and what research you should do on your own before you ask. Otherwise you risk coming off like someone looking for a handout (much of the information hunters want has come at a high cost to the people who already have it. They are understandably reluctant to give it out to just anyone).

The page I posted at the beginning of this post needs to be updated, as I have added a LOT more content since writing the Hunt Planning Primer, so check back later in the day after I have had a chance to update the Primer. Meanwhile, that post contains a number of links to books and videos you should have in your library, if you don't already. Two are no longer in stock, due to publisher issues; 1) Hunting in Alaska, by Chris Batin and 2) Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers, by yours truly. The first one can be found on Amazon, but the second one cannot. It is currently out of print and the publisher has not indicated when it will be available again.

Finally, a sales pitch. Our site offers an Alaska Hunt Planning Service. You can review the details of that service, including a video overview of it, AT THIS LINK. I also have a separate site AT THIS LINK that reviews additional details. This is not a deal where we put your hunt together, make your reservations and hand it all to you on a silver platter. You will be actively involved in the planning process, and will be making the phone calls, the arrangements, etc. Our job is to provide focus, direction, connections, advice and general coaching through the process from start to finish. Once we work with you on the first hunt, you have unlimited access to us at no additional charge for subsequent hunts. There are other hunt planners on the market, but I can say without hesitation that NOBODY offers the level of service we do. I spend a minimum of 30-60 hours or more with each of the groups I work with. Check it out; this might be the best way to kickstart the process. It will certainly fast-track your learning process. I have been involved in this for over 25 years, and while I am still learning, I am pretty sure you will find it worth the price of admission.

Best of luck as you pursue the dream! You are in for some great times ahead.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

If by chance your military you can hunt on all the military land for really cheap.
    Welcome to Alaska and welcome to the Outdoor forum.

If you arent hunting this fall due to not being a resident, try to get with someone and tag along on a hunt... maybe be a packer for someone, you will learn a lot of valueable info by doing this... I was in your shoes 20 years ago when I came to UAF and I was able to get with some people and help them on a hunt it was a great learning experience for me... Good Luck

thanks for all the info guys!

I can help you get started with a few ideas. Let me know if you want to chat.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Moderators/Mr. Strahan,

It seems like this sort of thing comes up quite a bit (typical question from a new guy). Other forums that I participate in will send new members a welcome email. I can't remember if I got one when I started here.

I wonder if someone couldn't make a short youtube video to cover the basics like how to do a search, where some of the goodies are hidden, etc. Might be a lot easier for some of the non-technical types to learn than just wandering through the forums blindly trying to learn on their own.

Not sure how to do it, but I see a LOT of youtube videos that are really good at explaining computer type topics.

Just an idea...hope it helps

Richard

hey, i would love any info i can get.

where midwest? just curious.

i lived in south east nebraska. 6 miles from KS, hour from MO

Prohunter30,

Sounds like my old stomping grounds. Grew up in Pawnee City.