Thread: SportJon 210...Thumbs up so far!

Default SportJon 210...Thumbs up so far!

Well, I've had the SportJon for a couple weeks now; been out to the Little Su a few times. It runs greta, really shallow...even bumped a couple times without coming off step. Only sucke gravel when launching and trying to back off the beach in shallow water--oh, and when I tried to turn around in ankle-deep water. I can go thropugh it all day, but gotta stay on step. I thought I had enough room to spin it around...was quickly proven wrong. just poled it out to a little deeper water, stomped the grate and got back down the river. This boat is a world of difference from the outboard jets i ran up in the Interior a few years back. I don't even really have to read the channel, if it's wet in front of me with nothin sticking out of the water, I just go. It does seem to yuse quite a bit of gas though. about 16 gallons for 2.5-3 hours of running.

Top speed, when we found a long straight run, was right at 46 mph; averaged cruising speed around 25-28mph at 4000 rpm.

So far so good; now I just need to get a fish in it!

Default Ain't they great

I just got mine out the other day and ran it around Nancy lake to make sure everything was ok. Should be running it up the Deshka thursday or friday just to check things out. May do a little fishing too. Will post how the boating/fishing is when I get back.

Default OKay in the salt, too

Ran the SportJon out of Homer this past week. It did fine as long as the seas were pretty calm. No so good in the chop, though. Definitely not made for the ocean, but it'll do the trick under decent to good conditions. Made it to Compass Rose and back with not too much pounding in 2-3 ft swells. Coming back from Tutka Bay in about 3ft chop was... interesting, though.

Default Phantom 240

Had to have my input also. I have had the Sport jon in the water a couple of times now. First time, I had 12 people on board, all under the cover, because it was raining. I had some extended family visiting and were going down the river to visit some friends. Absolutely no problem getting on step and handled like a dream. Been on the Delta Clearwater a couple of times. Tried to fish, but was too taken with the boat so did more running than anything else. I too got stuck because I was not paying close enough attention while running about 3500rpm. Sagging a bit in the rear in shallow water and got stuck. T'was a pain getting off. The 240 is a bit thirsty, but plenty of power. about 10 gal/hour. I have enjoyed the boat alot to this point. I am going to install a winch, and a wheel kit for those "not so floating" times.

I have not yet learned to handle the boat like pro yet. They are very manuverable, but so different than my other jet boat. Have to get over the learning curve. The sooner the better.

Enjoy the boats all

Jdub

Default possible trailer issue with Sport Jon

Thats good info I'm planning on doing a little bay cruising in valdez around the end of June. I'm hoping not to be that GUY.

I love driving this boat, the only problem I've had so far is a crack has developed in the bottom of my boat;near the right bunk board, that does not appear to have an impact mark. I can only assume it has something to do with towing the trailer down rough roads. I'm going to take her down and have her welded. I'll keep you posted.

I have a 2003 model 210 with a single control, Ive driven a newer one with the dual control, I'm not sure why compeaus changed it to a dual, but I can definately tell you driving the single is much easier and makes the boat much more manuverable using the motor as directional controller by shifting back and forth from reverse to drive rapidly. Any thoughts?

I think the relatively thin bottom (which is great for saving weight and going shallow--not so great for scraping and taking a beating) might have flexed a bit too much, causing your crack. What kind of rough roads have you towed it on and a what speed? I hope to avoid that kind of problwem with mine by driving slow and careful-like, but just how ridiculously slow will I need to go?

You should be fine in Valdez, especially if you stay inside the narrows. I took a little 16 foot Jon boat with a 40/28 Jet out there trolling for silvers awhile back and had no problems at all. If you go out to bigger water, just pay close attention, and have the sense to go as soon as it starts to look like it might get rough.

What kind of fuel economy is your 210 getting? Mine used 17.5 gallons getting out to Compass Rose and back to Homer (28 mile trip) little over an hour out, about 45 minutes back. On the river, I think I'm burning about 8 gph, maybe less, now that the river's more crowded and I learned how to drive a little slower...I definitely don't wanna be THAT guy that wrecked somebody!

Thanks for the input on valdez.

As for the road, well I took her up to the Yukon River twice. Two weekends in a Row, if you can make the trip Its great I took the Little Dall up until a slide impeded my progress. I also took the Ray River in for a while beautiful country. I'm not 100% sure it was the road I may have picked up the crack earlier. I realized over the course of a couple of trips I was taking on more water than I should. I couldnt find the crack originally because I was looking for a puncture or a seal at my motor. eventually I found her she is running front to rear right next to my right side bunk. As for driving speed that trailer has no suspension, so I took her pretty slow. I kind of had to I was pulling it along with my class C, and that rigs not partial to the Hall road either.

Fuel consumption is pretty close to what your getting, mine is a little more but I've been playing with the throttle a lot trying to figure out Fuel VS Power trying to see where my limits are, and having a lot of fun at the same time.

Yup...Fuel economy sucks in Showoff Mode, don't it? I've been to the Ray River, not yet to the Dall or Little Dall...good Pike fishing up there, I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by trbndoc View Post
    Crack has developed in the bottom of my boat;near the right bunk board, that does not appear to have an impact mark. I can only assume it has something to do with towing the trailer down rough roads. I'm going to take her down and have her welded. I'll keep you posted.

Once you get it welded up go to Compeaus and tell them you need the dual bunk kit. The cracked bottom on the Sportjon is a common problem that they know about and they have come up with a kit to install two bunks on each side rather than one. The haul road up to the Yukon river will crack them every time without the extra bunks.

Thumbs up

Thats exactly what I did, their being installed as we speak and the crack is being adressed as well.

I've heard a lot of bad and good about Compeau's in the past but I have to give craig and his team Kudo's. I went in showed them my problem, asked if their was still a warranty. A little background I bought the boat used with 72 hrs from a private owner. additionally the boat is an 03', and the warranty on the hull is apparently three years. Well long story short the folks down at Compeau's really worked with me to get this fixed without putting me in the poor house. So I have to give them a big thanks and a thumbs up.

again thanks for your suggestion, and hopefully now I wont be have this problem again.

Is it my imagination or do most boat builders out there have a life time warranty on their hulls? I thought this was the norm.

Yes most builders do have a lifetime warranty but Phantom does not on there Sportjon. Jetcraft does on there Extreme Shallow but I have not heard of anyone needing to use it.