Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooldbridge or Duckworth

Default Wooldbridge or Duckworth

Hoping to purchase a saltwater boat in the very near future. The Duckworth appears to be at a premium price compared to the woolbridge however some owners believe the after sales and overall package from Wooldbridge is marginally better for a much smaller cost outlay. Whats the thoughts from present owners. They both appear to be from superb companies. Whats the consensus from the people that matter.....the fishermen...Thanks

30' Offshore Duckworth with twin 250 Yamaha's!...Why wouldn't ya?...lol
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Quote Originally Posted by Micky_Ireland View Post
    Hoping to purchase a saltwater boat in the very near future. The Duckworth appears to be at a premium price compared to the woolbridge however some owners believe the after sales and overall package from Wooldbridge is marginally better for a much smaller cost outlay. Whats the thoughts from present owners. They both appear to be from superb companies. Whats the consensus from the people that matter.....the fishermen...Thanks
    I'm curious how you settled on those two? Are you wanting new or used?

Although not answering your post directly, i'll mention a few others I'd suggest looking at since your not getting many responses: Raider and Glaciercraft. I'm not a fan of aluminum boats in the salt water personally but those two would be toward the top of my list if I won the lottery!

Both boats are great in my opinion but I ended up going with a 28 Duck with twin 225 yammies. I really like the lines of the Duckworth and when we had it narrowed down to Duckworth, Northriver, and Wooly, my wife voted for the Duck and I never looked back. No regrets and I had a great expirence with the factory and with my dealer in Yakima (despite them not being a big "off-shore" dealer). Great customer service makes a big difference. Infact, the guys at Wooldridge were so "down to earth" and helpful, I felt bad I didn't buy a Wooly. I wrote Northriver off fairly early in the process because of their delayed build schedule and I would have had to wait until this fall to take delivery and I wasn't willing to miss another season. My Duck performs wonderfully, rides nice, fishes well, and trailers easily. The cabin is simple and comfortable, the cockpit is roomy, and the roof is large and accomidates the radar, the inflatable, and rocket launchers with ease. The wife wanted an enclosed head and an enclosed v-berth. I wish it had more deck holds (it just has one insulated fish box and a transom bleeder box) but I wanted the 175 gallon fuel tank so I had to compromise. The Duckworth was our choice but it could have been a Wooldridge just as easily. Cost-wise, they both were expensive and there was really no cost difference to factor in with all the compairable options.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullboat View Post
    Both boats are great in my opinion but I ended up going with a 28 Duck with twin 225 yammies. I really like the lines of the Duckworth and when we had it narrowed down to Duckworth, Northriver, and Wooly, my wife voted for the Duck and I never looked back. No regrets and I had a great expirence with the factory and with my dealer in Yakima (despite them not being a big "off-shore" dealer). Great customer service makes a big difference. Infact, the guys at Wooldridge were so "down to earth" and helpful, I felt bad I didn't buy a Wooly. I wrote Northriver off fairly early in the process because of their delayed build schedule and I would have had to wait until this fall to take delivery and I wasn't willing to miss another season. My Duck performs wonderfully, rides nice, fishes well, and trailers easily. The cabin is simple and comfortable, the cockpit is roomy, and the roof is large and accomidates the radar, the inflatable, and rocket launchers with ease. The wife wanted an enclosed head and an enclosed v-berth. I wish it had more deck holds (it just has one insulated fish box and a transom bleeder box) but I wanted the 175 gallon fuel tank so I had to compromise. The Duckworth was our choice but it could have been a Wooldridge just as easily. Cost-wise, they both were expensive and there was really no cost difference to factor in with all the compairable options.
    Fullboat, if your Duck is the amber'ish color boat, did I see you at Freds last week in Eagle River, I was with my river boat. Because that is an awesome boat. For me, I would go with a Duckworth, have always liked them...
    Tony

any picture of the boats

They are both good boats, so this is tough. The Duckworth is a steeper V, so it should cut through waves a little better. Down side is you'll probably lose a little economy. Bottom deadrise is almost the same, though, so that may not factor in too much. I'd compare performance stats between the two if that's a concern. The biggest difference to me is the beam. Even the 28' Duck is an 8' beam, which just seems too narrow for a boat that length. Wooley's are 8.5' in the smaller ones and 9.5' on the bigger ones standard, and they'll build you a smaller one that's 9.5' if you want them to. That gives you more cabin space and more stability when you're anchored over your favorite halibut hole.

I don't know how the speed and economy compares between the two, but I'd guess they're pretty close with similar sizes and engine packages.

Also, Wooldridge has been building semi-Alaska specific boats for a while and we're probably one of their bigger market segments, so they are in familiar territory. Not sure Duckworth can say the same.

Don't get me wrong, the Duckworths are nice boats, and with the steep bow deadrise and bow shape they look pretty darn cool, but I'd personally go with a Wooley if I could order one today.

Attachment 72102

The beam on the Duckworth is 102" (8.5). Rumor has it they are thinking of offering a 9'6" in the future but part of the reason I chose the Duck was the fact they make a 28 foot boat with the narrower beam. Many builders are 8.5 up to the 26 footer and then go to the wider beam for the 28 and 30 footers. Because I trailer, I didn't want to mess with a permit every year or pay extra to go through the tunnel. I knew I was going to give up some cabin space and I suspected the boat would roll more. I have to tell you though, the boat doesn't roll nearly as bad as I thought it would. Infact, I believe my buddies 24 foot Osprey pitches much more than the Duck. I deduced it had something to do with the weight of the cabin as the heavy glass Osprey is build like a tank and I suspect the cabin weights more than my Duck. In fact, I hauled shrimp posts this weekend in Culross during the crappy weather and I believe the seas were a solid 4 footers with intermittent 6 footers. We pulled broadside and never once was I concerned about the stability, she handled the seas well. The wider beam boat makes a big difference regarding the cabin space but I was willing to give that space up to stay in a 28 foot boat without a wide load permit. The Duckworth Offshore and her cousin, the Weldcraft Cuddy King are realitively new to the offshore market but I think they got it right. I looked for two years to buy used 26 or 28 footer but couldn't find any for sale which told me people are pretty happy with them. I am biased though... In the end, you really ought to try and get some demo rides because that's where the rubber hits the road.

Quote Originally Posted by tzieli22 View Post
    Fullboat, if your Duck is the amber'ish color boat, did I see you at Freds last week in Eagle River, I was with my river boat. Because that is an awesome boat. For me, I would go with a Duckworth, have always liked them...
    Yes Tony, that was us. I think you were heading up to the Deshka and we were heading to Whittier.

I have an older wooldridge and love it. Its smaller than what you are looking for so I can't give you much input on the larger ones, fuel consumption etc but I can say in all honesty it is built hell for tough. I have a friend with a 24 Duck and he loves it too so you have happy customers of both. A lot of it will come down to how you want it set up and all the other factors that have been mentioned. I think they are both great boats but of course Im partial to what I have. I would steer you to contact the companies and pick some brains. Here is a wooldridge teaser that gives you a little insight on the build process and how they are built. I envy your problem..lol. http://www.aluminumalloyboats.com/vi...php?f=4&t=4425

Attachment 72102

The beam on the Duckworth is 102" (8.5). Rumor has it they are thinking of offering a 9'6" in the future but part of the reason I chose the Duck was the fact they make a 28 foot boat with the narrower beam. Many builders are 8.5 up to the 26 footer and then go to the wider beam for the 28 and 30 footers. Because I trailer, I didn't want to mess with a permit every year or pay extra to go through the tunnel. I knew I was going to give up some cabin space and I suspected the boat would roll more. I have to tell you though, the boat doesn't roll nearly as bad as I thought it would. Infact, I believe my buddies 24 foot Osprey pitches much more than the Duck. I deduced it had something to do with the weight of the cabin as the heavy glass Osprey is build like a tank and I suspect the cabin weights more than my Duck. In fact, I hauled shrimp posts this weekend in Culross during the crappy weather and I believe the seas were a solid 4 footers with intermittent 6 footers. We pulled broadside and never once was I concerned about the stability, she handled the seas well. The wider beam boat makes a big difference regarding the cabin space but I was willing to give that space up to stay in a 28 foot boat without a wide load permit. The Duckworth Offshore and her cousin, the Weldcraft Cuddy King are realitively new to the offshore market but I think they got it right. I looked for two years to buy used 26 or 28 footer but couldn't find any for sale which told me people are pretty happy with them. I am biased though... In the end, you really ought to try and get some demo rides because that's where the rubber hits the road.
    Duckworth's own literature says they all have 96" beam, but if you got 102 that's cool. As far as stability goes, I don't think 1 foot is going to make a huge difference, so you may or may not even notice. My big thing is opening up the cabin a bit for more goodies and options, but if I found a good deal on a Duckworth I would jump at it. I was also going to mention the Weldcraft in the previous post but forgot to: if you're looking for deals, keep that in mind as well.

I thought you didn't have to have a permit until you hit 10'? I was under the impression that that is why they were building them only to 9.5'. And what are the tunnel limitations on width? I hadn't really thought much about that.

Yes Tony, that was us. I think you were heading up to the Deshka and we were heading to Whittier.
    Fullboat, I thought so... Not that I see every boat on the road but your Duckworth is as fine a vessel as I've ever seen. Don't get me wrong, Woolridge is also a fine boat as well, but yours was just sharp. I'm sure you'll have years of compliments to come, I wish much success and safety with it.

I ended up having a great weekend with my daughter on the deshka, hopefully your weekend turned out well also. It was my first time out with my daughter with just she and I in over 10 years so we had a blast. Plus I talked to several friends about your boat over the weekend. We all agreed, your duck is much nicer than my riverboat, but I'm pretty sure I enjoyed my fuel bill much better than you did at Fred's... Lol. But you have a very fine vessel.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    (snip)

I thought you didn't have to have a permit until you hit 10'? I was under the impression that that is why they were building them only to 9.5'. And what are the tunnel limitations on width? I hadn't really thought much about that.
    Wide loads are over 8 1/2'. For the tunnel to Whittier loads over 8 1/2' but under 10' the fee is $125 per trip, for loads over 10' the fee is $300 per trip. Loads exceeding 10' 6" require a pilot car.

http://dot.alaska.gov/mscve/assets/w...2013.04.12.pdf

If you plan to do alot of trailering, there is something to be said for keeping your hull under 8 1/2' wide
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Wide loads are over 8 1/2'. For the tunnel to Whittier loads over 8 1/2' but under 10' the fee is $125 per trip, for loads over 10' the fee is $300 per trip. Loads exceeding 10' 6" require a pilot car.

If you plan to do alot of trailering, there is something to be said for keeping your hull under 8 1/2' wide
    My 9 ft 6 inch boat is only $35 for the tunnel, anything over 10 6 is crazy.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    My 9 ft 6 inch boat is only $35 for the tunnel, anything over 10 6 is crazy.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    Haha...thanks, guys. I think....

I looked it up, and you are both probably right for your respective total package. There are different classes that can both be between 8.5'-10' wide. The difference is probably gross weight or total length for you two.

Wow. Thanks guys. They are both amazing companies. What is the turn around for both companies ( assuming a clear work load ) from contract to handover? Im pushing for the 30 footer , offshore. Im figuring on mostly fishing the south east of Alaska and maybe a bit of exploring around the north west. Thanks for all the help.

If you're really interested in a Wooldridge there's nothing that will be more helpful or informative than getting on the phone and talking to Grant or Glenn. If interested in a Duckworth Offshore talk to Chad at Three Rivers Marine. We ended up not buying either one of these brands, but the customer service that we experienced from both companies was exemplary. Turn around time from order to delivery will probably vary based on the time of year and other orders in the pipeline. You'll get your best info straight from these guys.

Anything under 10 through the tunnel is $35, but the oversize limit on the roads goes up to 10'6" before you need a pilot car. I think the road system regs changed something like three years back to bump out to 10-6.

Not necessarily. If you exceed certain total lengths or weights the price jumps to $125.

Sent by my communicator

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Not necessarily. If you exceed certain total lengths or weights the price jumps to $125.

Sent by my communicator
    The tunnel guys have never asked the weight (how could they verify it any way?) or combined length of my rig. They are just interested in the width from my experience.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast