Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: for those of us that have headless boats

Default for those of us that have headless boats

I am one of the unfortunate ones that does not have a head on my boat. My wife loves to go out but it is a real bummer for her, when its pottie time. The obvious solution is a new boat, however, paid for does have a nice ring to it. So there has to be a better solution. What do all of you do, more importantly what do your wives do? Is there a product out there, i.e. porta pottie that is the ticket? I know someone on this forum has already solved this problem.

We use one of these, the wife likes to keep it in the cabin at night as well.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lugga...FcN_Qgod72YAjQ
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I had a porta potty in my Hewes similar to this one. It worked well, it stored under the bench seat.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Thetf...h-All+Products
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

We use the same one, just keeping the seat/lid hidden away until it's needed. I added a line to the bail on the bucket, so now it's my deck bucket too. Handy as heck, and you'd never know it's around until you need it. Cleanup is a snap.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

My boat has a head, I've owned the boat for 7 years, and the head has been used a grand total of 3 times. I'm rarely out in an area that I can pump out the head through the overboard, and the pump out stations at the dock are more trouble than they're worth. A bucket works just fine for us.

We currently use a bucket as well. My wife just isn't a big fan. How about those porta potties, are they messy, hard to deal with and/or smelly? Do you run salt water through them?

With a magic marker ...... I drew a cross bones and skull on our "special use" bucket so it doesn't get mixed up with the others. We pretty much don't like to use it for general use. Good thing buckets can't talk.

Never use your luggable loo as a shrimp bucket! We too use a luggable loo - another "do not" ...don't call your "luggable loo" a "luggable linda lou" if your wife's name is Linda!

I was one of those wives that wanted a head to use when we were looking at a new boat years ago. Now - forget about it! I much prefer the quick & easy "whip it out" bucket - I just tell everyone to go out to the back deck, put the bucket in the aisle way of the cabin & it's done. It's one less thing for the hubby to clean. Here's our rarely used nice & shiny head:Attachment 72072

I have one of the chemical toilets Similiar to what Dman linked to.
    You buy the chemical for it and it dissolves the solids. I buy the rv toilet paper and it dissolves easier.
    You just use a small amount of chemical and dump the liquid when you get home.
    It doesn't smell unless I forget and leave it in the boat for a few days after I am home. Even then it isn't as bad a smell as you would think.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

That is what I have, also. Got mine from Sportsmans Whse. They had them with the bucket or you could just get the seat/lid and supply your own bucket. No complaints...but then I don't have a wife...that option was way out of my price range.

If you have twins this is the only way to go if you don't have a separate head. We never had many people anchor up next to us at night , either. Weird!

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    If you have twins this is the only way to go if you don't have a separate head. We never had many people anchor up next to us at night , either. Weird!

That is a solution. I have a 17' Achilles and my wife just does the same thing but in between the pontoon and outboard.
    If only I could get a trailer hitch off my frame, I would buy one of these.

http://www.bumperdumper.com/

I have owned one boat with a head and I'll NEVER own another, they are simply a huge PITA.

Ok. I have to ask. So, those of you with the poo bucket, what do you do? Toss it overboard? If so, how can you do that when I can't dump my head each time I use it? It's just a bucket with an electric chopper right?
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Ok. I have to ask. So, those of you with the poo bucket, what do you do? Toss it overboard? If so, how can you do that when I can't dump my head each time I use it? It's just a bucket with an electric chopper right?
    It's an issue of volume. Pumping out the holding tanks for marine heads puts a much larger volume of sewage in small area vs. a one time use of a bucket. My holding tank is 10 gallons, and many are much, much larger.

Yeah, I see your point. My tank is only about 5 gallons. Sort of silly I guess for rec boat rules. I'm with others. I don't think I'll ever have a boat with a head again. Or it will always be empty.
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Yeah, I see your point. Sort of silly I guess for rec boat rules. I'm with others. I don't think I'll ever have a boat with a head again. Or it will always be empty.
    Same here....I don't use mine at all.

Frostbitten,

How does it make sense to dump a bucket overboard when a singular use of the marine head has the exact same amount of waste? The only difference is the amount of privacy.
    A marine head can be made to discharge overboard with each use as opposed to emptying the entire content all at once...speaking of which: where is the pump-out in Whittier?

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    Frostbitten,

How does it make sense to dump a bucket overboard when a singular use of the marine head has the exact same amount of waste? The only difference is the amount of privacy.
    A marine head can be made to discharge overboard with each use as opposed to emptying the entire content all at once...speaking of which: where is the pump-out in Whittier?
    My thoughts exactly. But I didn't want to start an arguement here. Just don't see the reasoning behind the ruling. Big ships yes, but our little dump and pumps? No different than a bucket tossed overboard.

The pump a head in Whittier is a mystery. I haven't talked to anyone that knows where it is. A friend of mine talked to someone in the harbor masters office and they said it didn't work. Hmmm. I guess no one that keeps a boat in Whittier uses their head either.
    MMSI# 338232859

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast