Thread: is it worth it?

Default is it worth it?

Moved up here a few months ago and my mother is coming up for a visit. We were thinking about a Seward charter until we saw the cost. How viable is it to use one of the rental skiffs available and fish silvers by ourselves, or are the fish to far out of the bay right.now to be reached in a small boat like that? I have loysconfidence I can catch them, so long as I can get out to them. I assume one could just use snapwts to get down to the fish?

I used to think charters were rediculously expensive so I got my own boat and gear. After 6 seasons I realize if I found myself without a boat I would gladly pay for a charter because they can consistantly get you on fish most every day, you don't have to do any maintenance to the fishing gear, it's not your $20-100 worth of tackle that ends up at the bottom of the ocean and rods to repair on a bad day and you don't have a boat to clean at the end of the day. The way I look at it is, if catching fish is paramount, go with a charter. If you want a DIY boat ride with the possibility of catching fish, rent a skiff.

Seward can get pretty rough pretty fast and you better know what you're doing before running a small skiff out in Resserection bay.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I used to think charters were ridiculously expensive so I got my own boat and gear. After 6 seasons I realize if I found myself without a boat I would gladly pay for a charter because they can consistently get you on fish most every day, you don't have to do any maintenance to the fishing gear, it's not your $20-100 worth of tackle that ends up at the bottom of the ocean and rods to repair on a bad day and you don't have a boat to clean at the end of the day. The way I look at it is, if catching fish is paramount, go with a charter. If you want a DIY boat ride with the possibility of catching fish, rent a skiff.

Seward can get pretty rough pretty fast and you better know what you're doing before running a small skiff out in Resurrection bay.
    Uh, what he said.... (after auto-correct)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I used to think charters were rediculously expensive so I got my own boat and gear. After 6 seasons I realize if I found myself without a boat I would gladly pay for a charter because they can consistantly get you on fish most every day, you don't have to do any maintenance to the fishing gear, it's not your $20-100 worth of tackle that ends up at the bottom of the ocean and rods to repair on a bad day and you don't have a boat to clean at the end of the day. The way I look at it is, if catching fish is paramount, go with a charter. If you want a DIY boat ride with the possibility of catching fish, rent a skiff.

Seward can get pretty rough pretty fast and you better know what you're doing before running a small skiff out in Resserection bay.
    I'll third that. I'm sure your mom will appreciate the warm enclosed cabin of a charter boat too, if the weather isn't so great, heck even I do. Most of those charter guys will out fish me and you day in and day out, its their job.

+4 on what Paul said.
    I have friends that use an 18' cerestliner in seward and they do catch fish.
    They do often get blown off and certainly don't catch near as many fish as the charters or bigger boats do.They use divers and troll mostly.
    They also grew up comm. fishing and are extremly comfortable running smalll boats in all weather conditions.
    Plus guys can hang it over the side when they need to go. Mom may not go for that.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Hey live4chrome, You can rent a skiff south of town but I think they have a rule that you can't take their boat out past Caines Head or somewhere out there. If that's the case you won't be far enough out to get into the silvers at this time of year. Later in the month and into August it would work. The silvers haven't been coming close into town like they used to years back. Might bump into you in a couple of weeks. Good Luck.

Pay the Price.
    No one who makes the journey to this place should deny opportunity because of cost.
    Put your hands into a professional.
    You will not regret the smart play even though you pay...

Rosenberg; Kodiak, AK / Sarasota, FL / Zhengzhou, CN
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Lots of confidence and no experience is a great way to get into trouble especially in a small skiff. Pay the price and pay attention to how they do it. You could learn a lot that way. You will also have a lot better chance to catch fish than to bring your out of town family out as guinea pigs with the possibility of not having fun and going home empty handed.

Sent while hiding from the boss

Thanks for the info guys. That's exactly the input I was looking for. Looking at pictures and seeing the fish at the harbor it seems the halibut over that way are in general way smaller than the ones out of homer? Is this the case or am I mistaken. I would love to get into a long and it sounds like Seward is the place to do that. We would probably do a full day multi species charter

Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. That's exactly the input I was looking for. Looking at pictures and seeing the fish at the harbor it seems the halibut over that way are in general way smaller than the ones out of homer? Is this the case or am I mistaken. I would love to get into a long and it sounds like Seward is the place to do that. We would probably do a full day multi species charter
    Multi species charter is the only way to go. If you want names of charters just ask. Unfortunately many boats are booked a year in advance. You need to know that the bay is a dangerous place if you do not know anything about the tides and currents. Fishing there on you own for the 1st time can be a frustrating experience. Hope you get good weather because there is no place prettier than the bay on a clear day. If you go west around Ailiak you will be awed by the scenery. Going east is just as spectacular. Put you life in the hands of a professional and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    The halibut are small everywhere, getting worse every year.

Wow we put 4 on the boat from 60-120lbs just the other day. Big enough for me. Maybe the places you have been fishing for the last 10 years are thinned out.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Uh, what he said.... (after auto-correct)
    You both forgot to capitalize Bay...it's part of a proper noun, so it's also capitalized.

Seriously, though, I've found the fish to be consistently larger out of Seward than Homer for the last 10 years or so. There are big fish in both places if you get out far enough or are just lucky enough, but the average Seward halibut I've caught compared to Homer is probably at least 2-3x bigger. That's on exclusively halibut charters, though, which tend to go to different spots than a typical "combo" deal would. We've caught very few rockfish or lings incidentally. In the last three years, my wife and I have only gone out of Seward and our average kept fish would be about 50lbs because we've consistently hit a couple that were 75-100lbs on each trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post

...Put your hands into a professional.....Zhengzhou, CN
    I can't help but wonder if this was translated from chinese.....

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    You both forgot to capitalize Bay...it's part of a proper noun, so it's also capitalized.
    Darn you, auto-correct!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

OK, I'm not sure if this is against forum policy the. Who would people suggest to go through for a charter? Thanks guys and I apologize for all the newbie questions.

I was out with Semaka a couple weeks ago...very good outfit, but a lot of the better outfits are likely booked pretty tight right now. Crackerjack is as good as they come, as is ProFishNSea.

No worries asking for charter suggestions here from fellow fishermen(women). Out of Seward you can't beat Crackerjack or Profish-N-Sea. I did the same when I moved to AK in 2001 (asked advice on forums) and have fished with both of them a lot without a complaint and many fine memories. Should you opt for Homer, I give two thumbs up to Mike Manns Charters. Aside from the load of fish last week, I was very impressed with his enthusiasm, boat, tackle, and the fact that unlike some skippers, a 12- or 13-hour day on the water is something he's happy to do. Andy and Steve do the same thing with Crackerjack and Profish. Either port, these guys get my repeat business.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.