Thread: Elevated Levels of Enterococci and Fecal Coliform Bacteria on Kenai Beaches

Default Elevated Levels of Enterococci and Fecal Coliform Bacteria on Kenai Beaches

Don't know if everyone saw this, but the Alaska DEC issued a press release on elevated bacteria levels on the beaches at the mouth of the Kenai River. The source could be seagulls and possibly seals living in the area. Recommended action is rinsing all gear and exposed body parts after dip netting, and rinsing your fish in clean water before filleting them. This could help clean up some of the mess down there, concerning fish carcasses. From that standpoint it's probably a blessing in disguise.

Apologies if this was already posted.

-Mike

http://www.dec.state.ak.us/commish/p...a%207-3-13.pdf
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Elevated from what? So all this bacteria in the water is new or just limited to the beaches at the mouth? Wonder how many folks will pass on dipping this year thanks to that article. Seems ironic they post it right before the opener....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Not really ironic at all. It's likely from seagull poop. The seagull population has flourished at the mouth of the Kenai due to lots of food... Fish guts and such. Don't know if you've been there in the last several years, but it's pretty disgusting during PU season. Hey, PU season! Get it?

Caveman 101: Don't ---- where you eat.

Pack out your trash and your guts. Oh, and don't poop on our beach.

Ya ironic was mostly sarcasm.
    Would like to know how much the names have changed over the years....
    Master guide 212

Numbers I mean....not names
    Master guide 212

Question ?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    ...This could help clean up some of the mess down there, concerning fish carcasses. From that standpoint it's probably a blessing in disguise.
    Did you really mean clean up? The first time I read this I read "clear up" then checked and and you did say clean not clear.

Vastly different statements. I just wanted to ask which you meant and, either way, why.

We all mistype on occasion, and I myself am especially guilty of misspelling words whose misspelling is actually a word, which can be double-confusing.