Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Russian or Kenai in about 2 weeks?

  1. #1

    Default Russian or Kenai in about 2 weeks?

    After researching the various fish counts, I need to decide how to get set up to fish around the 20th of July. I am flying in to ANC around midnight and need to decide to drive to Cooper landing, Centenial, or Jim's that early morning.

    If you were a betting person where do you think it will be best the weekend of the 20th?

    I will have my leaders made up for both places, and check the reports the day before I fly as well.

  2. #2
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    5,639

    Thumbs up Kenai . .

    My advice would be to take the Kenai by a mile . . should be lots of fish going up the river daily by that time.


    Call the number below to get daily run numbers:

    Commercial Fisheries Report
    Phone (907) 262-9611



  3. #3

    Default

    Marcus,

    Thanks for the input, I will take a look at the counts and figure it out. I have 4 other people to "babysit" with me. If it's Soldotna I will go to Ken's and load up and probably shoot down to Centenial or below Ken's

  4. #4

    Default

    I would bet fishing would be best below skilak at that time.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    99577
    Posts
    280

    Default

    It's still a bit early for the Russian but the lower river should be hot.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Definately stay below Skilak, watch the counts for the big push and pick a place below Skilak based on the timing of that push. If your only a few days behind it (should be) fish at Moose River/Bings/Morgans, if its still in the big push (late) then centennial/swiftwater/airport.

  7. #7
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    5,639

    Smile Good luck . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
    Marcus,

    Thanks for the input, I will take a look at the counts and figure it out. I have 4 other people to "babysit" with me. If it's Soldotna I will go to Ken's and load up and probably shoot down to Centenial or below Ken's

    If the daily numbers are anywhere near 20k or even above, fishing will be good. Take a look at Cunningham Park off Beaver Loop Road . . its down in tidewater so flossing must be done on an outgoing tide. Really nice fish . . taste better than the same fish flossed at Centennial.


    Good luck . .

  8. #8
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Lower Kenai hands down. There should be a lot of fish moving through the river at that time. If you hit it right you'll be tired of hooking into em.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  9. #9
    Member Col. F Rodder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Marcus, never tried tidal water for reds. Would you fish the out going just before the flood or the backside? Would think most of the fish would move past during flood.

  10. #10
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    5,639

    Thumbs up Ebb tide . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    Marcus, never tried tidal water for reds. Would you fish the out going just before the flood or the backside? Would think most of the fish would move past during flood.

    Colonel, fish it on the ebb . . in our dip-netting experience, it seems that often the fish push into the river on the ebb tide, and, at Cunningham, you need the ebb in order to floss.


    Good luck . .

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    If the daily numbers are anywhere near 20k or even above, fishing will be good. Take a look at Cunningham Park off Beaver Loop Road . . its down in tidewater so flossing must be done on an outgoing tide. Really nice fish . . taste better than the same fish flossed at Centennial.


    Good luck . .
    Hi Marcus,

    So If I go to Cunningham Park do I have to be very cautious about certain things like incoming tide drowning me ? does that place have a gravel bank or a dangerous mud bank ? I still haven't explored a lot on lower Kenai except for the airport hole.

  12. #12
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    5,639

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_3S View Post
    Hi Marcus,

    So If I go to Cunningham Park do I have to be very cautious about certain things like incoming tide drowning me ? does that place have a gravel bank or a dangerous mud bank ? I still haven't explored a lot on lower Kenai except for the airport hole.

    No dangerous mud . . check it out . . it's pretty heavily fished . . especially for silvers . .

  13. #13
    Member Col. F Rodder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    295

    Default

    im there in less than a week. Ill give it a try about mid way through

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_3S View Post
    Hi Marcus,

    So If I go to Cunningham Park do I have to be very cautious about certain things like incoming tide drowning me ? does that place have a gravel bank or a dangerous mud bank ? I still haven't explored a lot on lower Kenai except for the airport hole.
    The mud isn't dangerous but it is messy and slick, make sure you wear rubber boots or waders. I prefer waders so I can kneel down when I need to. There is no need to actually wade there, just saying don't try and do it in your sneakers!

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    The mud isn't dangerous but it is messy and slick, make sure you wear rubber boots or waders. I prefer waders so I can kneel down when I need to. There is no need to actually wade there, just saying don't try and do it in your sneakers!
    I assume fishing there is pretty good else people wont deal with all that messy mud.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    I have never fished reds there. As Marcus said, you'll have to fish an outgoing tide to get enough current. It is one of my favorite places to fish pinks though.

  17. #17
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    5,639

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_3S View Post
    I assume fishing there is pretty good else people wont deal with all that messy mud.

    Fishing at Cunningham is always good.


    Catching, however, varies . . .

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •