Thread: Russian or Kenai in about 2 weeks?

Default Russian or Kenai in about 2 weeks?

After researching the various fish counts, I need to decide how to get set up to fish around the 20th of July. I am flying in to ANC around midnight and need to decide to drive to Cooper landing, Centenial, or Jim's that early morning.

If you were a betting person where do you think it will be best the weekend of the 20th?

I will have my leaders made up for both places, and check the reports the day before I fly as well.

Thumbs up Kenai . .

My advice would be to take the Kenai by a mile . . should be lots of fish going up the river daily by that time.

Call the number below to get daily run numbers:

Commercial Fisheries Report
    Phone (907) 262-9611

Marcus,

Thanks for the input, I will take a look at the counts and figure it out. I have 4 other people to "babysit" with me. If it's Soldotna I will go to Ken's and load up and probably shoot down to Centenial or below Ken's

I would bet fishing would be best below skilak at that time.

It's still a bit early for the Russian but the lower river should be hot.

Definately stay below Skilak, watch the counts for the big push and pick a place below Skilak based on the timing of that push. If your only a few days behind it (should be) fish at Moose River/Bings/Morgans, if its still in the big push (late) then centennial/swiftwater/airport.

Smile Good luck . . .

Quote Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
    Marcus,

Thanks for the input, I will take a look at the counts and figure it out. I have 4 other people to "babysit" with me. If it's Soldotna I will go to Ken's and load up and probably shoot down to Centenial or below Ken's

If the daily numbers are anywhere near 20k or even above, fishing will be good. Take a look at Cunningham Park off Beaver Loop Road . . its down in tidewater so flossing must be done on an outgoing tide. Really nice fish . . taste better than the same fish flossed at Centennial.

Good luck . .

Lower Kenai hands down. There should be a lot of fish moving through the river at that time. If you hit it right you'll be tired of hooking into em.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Marcus, never tried tidal water for reds. Would you fish the out going just before the flood or the backside? Would think most of the fish would move past during flood.

Thumbs up Ebb tide . .

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    Marcus, never tried tidal water for reds. Would you fish the out going just before the flood or the backside? Would think most of the fish would move past during flood.

Colonel, fish it on the ebb . . in our dip-netting experience, it seems that often the fish push into the river on the ebb tide, and, at Cunningham, you need the ebb in order to floss.

Good luck . .

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    If the daily numbers are anywhere near 20k or even above, fishing will be good. Take a look at Cunningham Park off Beaver Loop Road . . its down in tidewater so flossing must be done on an outgoing tide. Really nice fish . . taste better than the same fish flossed at Centennial.

Good luck . .
    Hi Marcus,

So If I go to Cunningham Park do I have to be very cautious about certain things like incoming tide drowning me ? does that place have a gravel bank or a dangerous mud bank ? I still haven't explored a lot on lower Kenai except for the airport hole.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_3S View Post
    Hi Marcus,

So If I go to Cunningham Park do I have to be very cautious about certain things like incoming tide drowning me ? does that place have a gravel bank or a dangerous mud bank ? I still haven't explored a lot on lower Kenai except for the airport hole.

No dangerous mud . . check it out . . it's pretty heavily fished . . especially for silvers . .

im there in less than a week. Ill give it a try about mid way through

Hi Marcus,

The mud isn't dangerous but it is messy and slick, make sure you wear rubber boots or waders. I prefer waders so I can kneel down when I need to. There is no need to actually wade there, just saying don't try and do it in your sneakers!

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    The mud isn't dangerous but it is messy and slick, make sure you wear rubber boots or waders. I prefer waders so I can kneel down when I need to. There is no need to actually wade there, just saying don't try and do it in your sneakers!
    I assume fishing there is pretty good else people wont deal with all that messy mud.

I have never fished reds there. As Marcus said, you'll have to fish an outgoing tide to get enough current. It is one of my favorite places to fish pinks though.

Wink

I assume fishing there is pretty good else people wont deal with all that messy mud.

Fishing at Cunningham is always good.

Catching, however, varies . . .