Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK, Who did it?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default OK, Who did it?

I found 3 empty 300 Win Mag shells at Birchwood range today. "

They had obviously been fired in a 300 Weatherby rifle. This is not the first time, either.

I wonder how this happened, multiple times. Is it possible that the shooter didn't know better, thinking that 300 mag was 300 mag. etc.???

I suppose it is safe enough to get away with it, especially with new brass, because both cartridges headspace on the belt, but I wonder about the practicality of this practice.

I know that it's cheaper, but I wonder about accuracy? Does some rugged Alaskan Hunter have his rifle sighted in for the RONG ammunition??

OR, "Boy, O Boy my 300 Weatherby is accurate. I get 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards with that Winchester ammunition. "

It cracks me up.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I found three the same way at the range at the end of Maud Rd. a year or so ago. It's hard to imagine anyone doing that on purpose, but who knows.

Like they say, stupid is forever...and incurable LOL

Maybe these folks think that case separation means by brand.

I had a co-worker that almost bought .300wsm for a .300wm, I asked him why he thought the boxes were different size, he said he figured it was just packaging.

Saw a very experienced shooter fire a 338 Federal round in a 338 Win Mag. Not once, but twice and would have fired another if I had not stopped him.

Be careful out there.ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373399002.790576.jpg
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Sorry about leaving my brass. I was working on fireforming a wildcat.... the 300 warthog....(its the poor mans weatherby)....

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Saw a very experienced shooter fire a 338 Federal round in a 338 Win Mag. Not once, but twice and would have fired another if I had not stopped him.

Be careful out there.ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373399002.790576.jpg

Or looking at that photo, maybe it was the 480 warthog!!! Holy Straight Walled Case Batman!!!!

There is a facebook sale sight on JBER, and people seem to always be selling .300 WSM they bought for their .300 WM or .338 Federal they bought for their .338 WM and then "found out" they had the wrong ammo. I am now seeing people selling .270WSM as they bought the wrong ammo. I need to capiltalize on the .270 WSM if I can get it at a good price from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudge View Post
    There is a facebook sale sight on JBER, and people seem to always be selling .300 WSM they bought for their .300 WM or .338 Federal they bought for their .338 WM and then "found out" they had the wrong ammo. I am now seeing people selling .270WSM as they bought the wrong ammo. I need to capiltalize on the .270 WSM if I can get it at a good price from them.
    Maybe that reflects new and, therefore, unfamiliar interest in cartridges and firearms.

Is our "sport" growing???

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Maybe that reflects new and, therefore, unfamiliar interest in cartridges and firearms.

Is our "sport" growing???

SOTN
    And there's no excuse for it. When I was first learning all I had were books and magazines Now anyone can get this online.

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    And there's no excuse for it. When I was first learning all I had were books and magazines Now anyone can get this online.
    My sentiments exactly. I was poised to make a comment about this yesterday, but decided against it at the time...

It seems like as information becomes more and more readily accessible, people are actually learning less and less. The average kid walking down the street now potentially has virtually instant access to much of the worlds collective knowledge at his finger tips via his smart phone, but still may not possess the common sense attributable to a box of rocks.

The ease these days with which any kid with a little cash can buy a gun that says "300" on it, and buy a box of shells that says "300" on it, go out and start shooting, without having the slightest clue about what he's doing is truly scary. If this is indicative of the mechanism by which our "sport" is growing, I have a hard time seeing it as a positive thing.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

There are dumber things than chambering a the wrong cartridge.

Like, for example, acting as if YOU never make dumb mistakes.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    There are dumber things than chambering a the wrong cartridge.

Like, for example, acting as if YOU never make dumb mistakes.

Smitty of the North
    Making mistakes is part of the learning process. I've certainly made my share...

(Responding to an individual who is obviously trolling to start a personal fight has to rank right up there as one of the dumbest things I could do...)
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    My sentiments exactly. I was poised to make a comment about this yesterday, but decided against it at the time...

It seems like as information becomes more and more readily accessible, people are actually learning less and less. The average kid walking down the street now potentially has virtually instant access to much of the worlds collective knowledge at his finger tips via his smart phone, but still may not possess the common sense attributable to a box of rocks.

The ease these days with which any kid with a little cash can buy a gun that says "300" on it, and buy a box of shells that says "300" on it, go out and start shooting, without having the slightest clue about what he's doing is truly scary. If this is indicative of the mechanism by which our "sport" is growing, I have a hard time seeing it as a positive thing.
    I was selling a SKS to a guy 24 years old about a week ago. Said I'd throw in some ammo and showed him a box { and the ammo inside ]. Buyer-"what is that?" Me-"7.62x39."' Buyer says " I've got some of that!" and gets some 7.62x54R . Me-" no no. " Despite the fact was looking right at a 7.62x39 sample, he still tried to put a 7.62 x54 in the SKS. All it took was the 7.62 part to make him think they were interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    I was selling a SKS to a guy 24 years old about a week ago. Said I'd throw in some ammo and showed him a box { and the ammo inside ]. Buyer-"what is that?" Me-"7.62x39."' Buyer says " I've got some of that!" and gets some 7.62x54R . Me-" no no. " Despite the fact was looking right at a 7.62x39 sample, he still tried to put a 7.62 x54 in the SKS. All it took was the 7.62 part to make him think they were interchangeable.
    "Here's your sign..."
    #Resist

[QUOTE=iofthetaiga;1303534]Making mistakes is part of the learning process. I've certainly made my share...

(Responding to an individual who is obviously trolling to start a personal fight has to rank right up there as one of the dumbest things I could do...):

So, How do YOU determine which mistakes are without excuse, and which are "a part of the learning process"

That's OK, I can guess.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Learning takes some effort or reality will smite thee. Way too many folks now days expecting instant gratification without going through the effort of learning the safe way. Those experiences that don't kill you may teach you something if you have the common sense to figure out what happened. Someone that shoots the second 300Win in a 300 Wthby and then a third without learning something will probably win the Darwin award sooner or later. I hate to see this kind of thing happen but you just can't fix stupid. We are getting a lot of new shooters and gun owners. Some are just ignorant and can be taught if we get to them before they hurt themselves. Others are stupid and can't be taught anything.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Learning takes some effort or reality will smite thee. Way too many folks now days expecting instant gratification without going through the effort of learning the safe way. Those experiences that don't kill you may teach you something if you have the common sense to figure out what happened. Someone that shoots the second 300Win in a 300 Wthby and then a third without learning something will probably win the Darwin award sooner or later. I hate to see this kind of thing happen but you just can't fix stupid. We are getting a lot of new shooters and gun owners. Some are just ignorant and can be taught if we get to them before they hurt themselves. Others are stupid and can't be taught anything.
    Thing is many shooters never even glance at the fired case.

I agree, rbuck:

We also have hunters that have little interest in hunting itself.

However, they do want the trophys and to be able to say they were successful hunters. They covet the NAME, and the FAME, etc.

I think that type of hunter might tend to focus only on the highlights, and miss some important details.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast