Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about Kasilof

Default Tell me about Kasilof

So, I and my girlfriend, are going with to Kasilof this weekend for our first time ever dipnetting. I've heard a vicious rumor that there are no toilet facilities of any kind there; is this true?

The ADFG website says you can drive down the beach above high tide, but can you park down there? We're planning to camp on the beach (tent camp), and was wondering can I park right there or how far is the parking area from the fishing area?

Anything else I should know about there area before going down?

At the south beach there are toilets on the road before you get on the beach.
    You can drive the 3/4 mile to the fishing area and park very close, just don't get stuck! Saw a large truck have to get dug out last time I was there.

Toilet=no. Stinky porta John=yes
    You can tent camp in the area but it is crowded on the weekends. The earlier you get there the better the chance you will find a spot.
    You might find it more enjoyable to find a local campground and drive to the beach daily.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

You might want to camp at the Johnson Lake campground off Tustumena Lake rd. and then drive down each day to dip......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Make sure you have the right kind of dipnet. Every year I see folks with the heavy stranded, dark colored landing nets which work fine for the Copper trying to use them on the Kenai or Kasilof, with very disappointing results. You need the right type of net and for this area it is the near colorless light weight netting so the fish won't see it. Believe me, I see it every year and I myself didn't know any better the first time I went down there. VERY FRUSTRATING. The best advise I can give you if you don't know if your net will work or not is to go to someplace such as Danalson, listed at top of main page, B&J or others in Anchorage, or places like Mike's welding and others down in the area. Then drive down when you see things are looking promising and watch others to see what they are doing that works. The bigger the net, the easier it is to get a fish, but the more difficult to control, I personally like a 4 foot net, either round, square or rectangular, but there are times I wish I had a five foot. The length of pole is arguable. I have about 17' of pole I can gang together, but that can get pretty unwieldy at times. I have seen people with just the net and either a short or no handle have good luck and sometimes, I swear, there are some that are just annoyingly lucky. The main thing is to have fun, enjoy the resource and make sure you leave the area cleaner, or at least as clean as you find it. Most folks down there, even when it is pretty crowded are quite sociable, but as with any group of people there is the occasional jerk. If at all possible try to go when the fishing fleet is in port and during the week when there are less crowds. The fish are a bit smaller at Kasilof, but I don't find that a problem. If you don't have a good 4WD, stay off the sand. In that case try the north side of the Kasilof and park in the parking lot and walk in, it isn't that far. As to the outhouses, they are there, but often not maintained as well as they could be, especially at the end of a big weekend. If you just gotta use Natures Facilities -- PLEASE BURRY IT !

Another option is Crooked Creek campground just past the Kasilof heading south, on the right. It's a nice little campground with walking trails. Can drive to the Kasilof beach for dippin, then get away from the ruckus afterwards.

A couple of other things. Chest waders are going to be worth the investment if you don't already have them. hip boots will work, but not nearly as well. Good waterproof, or at least some type of gloves are necessary. If you get into mud, which you will following the tide, make sure to move both feet every minute or so to keep from getting stuck if you sink too deep. It is not nearly as dangerous as some places, but people do fall down, go ********* fairly frequently and some have to abandon waders and get wet, not to mention embarrassed. Just move your feet once in a while and you should pick up pretty quick how to do it. When you are on gravel, it is no problem. If you should ever go to Fish Creek, for the sake of God, make sure you leave your pets at home, or in the vehicle and watch your kids like a starving hawk. That place can be nasty as well as dangerous, but not so bad if you expect to get dirty and take sensible precautions. Stay on the bank there though, that mud is very, very, serious business and has claimed lives. I was in on a Newfoundland dog rescue once and it was one hell of a race with the rising tide. The father said to me afterwards, " I love that ****ed dog dearly, but if my kid hadn't been here, ----------- .".

Thanks for the replies one and all.

Uhldwm,

Before I saw your post, I went (this morning) down to B&J's and they advised me to buy a 4 ft net, not the 5 ft I had in my hand. I ended up with a 4 ft round net and only 2 section of poles (11' total length). They said it would be easier to work the smaller net with shorter handles and my son (11 yr old who was with me at the time) would even be able to get in on the action, so that's what I bought-along with a T handle.

I'm actually meeting folks from my church out there, but I don't recall if it was north or south shore, guess I should try to find out, but the lost of camp grounds will serve me well for future trips. As far as parking and getting stuck, I drive a new (just bought it a month ago) F150 long box with 4x4, but I'm not inclined to tear it up yet. I borrowed neoprene chest waders, that almost fit (too small in the chest/bread basket area, a size too big on the feet-as well as some matching boots. Figure I'll try to wear polypro long underwear under the waders. Hadn't thought about gloves yet. We're leaving the dog at home.

In regards to the toilet issue, I borrowed the chem toilet (tiny one) out of my girlfriend's dad's boat. I'll keep that in the back of the pickup (has a topper) in case what is there is "unuseable."

My wife swears by arm-length rubber gloves like these http://www.amazon.com/Coralife-Energ...+rubber+gloves

She quickly gets uncomfortably cold hands if she dips without the gloves. We all know a happy lady is alot better than an unhappy lady.

You should be able to find a pair at B&Js.

Have fun!

AIH (Alaska Industrial Hardware) also stocks a brown glove with a clear past the elbow length sleeve that I have seen a lot of people, as well as commercial guys using. As I recall the pair I bought a couple of years back ran around $15.00 which is a better price than the Coralife. As to the quality comparison, the Coralife look like they might be heavier duty, but if they work, they work, and you don't have to send for them. I would imagine B&J also handles these or something similar. Whatever you buy, I would suggest something with a long cuff if not a sleeve so that you can turn that cuff back to catch the water coming off your glove rather than have it run down your arm.

Can you camp on the north shore? Is either shore more productive than the other?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Nomad View Post
    Can you camp on the north shore? Is either shore more productive than the other?
    The rules and productivity can both change, but last I knew the answers to your questions are no, and no.

Is there any place to park an RV within walking distance? Either on the north or south side.

Default correction

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    The rules and productivity can both change, but last I knew the answers to your questions are no, and no.
    I apologize, I answered more quickly than I read. (I was thinking Kenai).

Yes, you can camp on the Kasilof north shore. Be prepared for no services, though you might find some (johns, trash).

On the average, the reds are significantly smaller than you'll see on the Kenai. And the number of reds in the water is significantly smaller. As are the crowds. Not to say it doesn't get busy, but I've never seen gridlock on the beach in Kasilof.

In a beach context, I define gridlock as when most parked ATVs or trucks - either one - cannot leave the beach during a busy time since the access path to get out doesn't exist anymore - its covered with people/vehicles/tents. So you stay put for hours until the tide lowers and the beach crowd has more room to spread out, creating more room for you to get your rig off the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by uhldwm View Post
    AIH (Alaska Industrial Hardware) also stocks a brown glove with a clear past the elbow length sleeve that I have seen a lot of people, as well as commercial guys using. As I recall the pair I bought a couple of years back ran around $15.00 which is a better price than the Coralife. As to the quality comparison, the Coralife look like they might be heavier duty, but if they work, they work, and you don't have to send for them. I would imagine B&J also handles these or something similar. Whatever you buy, I would suggest something with a long cuff if not a sleeve so that you can turn that cuff back to catch the water coming off your glove rather than have it run down your arm.
    Couldn't find them. Couldn't find anything with a long cuff. Ended up buying a pair of neoprene gloves, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibby View Post
    Is there any place to park an RV within walking distance? Either on the north or south side.
    Unless the area is filled, you can park many huge motorhomes in the area between the road and the sand. From there the walk to the dipping spots is not that far.

When comm nets are out, does it kill dipping? Heard they are bank to bank.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Nomad View Post
    When comm nets are out, does it kill dipping? Heard they are bank to bank.
    It does slow it down considerably at times. They are not allowed to set nets bank to bank so I don't know where that idea comes from.
    You can always call the commercial hotline to find out when the commercial nets will be out and plan accordingly.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post

Yes, you can camp on the Kasilof north shore. Be prepared for no services, though you might find some (johns, trash).
    Unless something's changed, you can camp on the south side as well.........I've always seen tents set up along the beach.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Unless something's changed, you can camp on the south side as well.........I've always seen tents set up along the beach.....
    Yes, plenty of campers over on that side, but a looooong way from the crappers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast