Thread: First time copper river!

Default First time copper river!

Thinking about heading north to Copper river for dipnetting, never been there before. Any suggestions for decent places to dipnet and camp? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Camp on the Edgerton HWY before you get to Chitna so you are are not dealing with the silt and wind.

Are you dipping from shore or a boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticman View Post
    Thinking about heading north to Copper river for dipnetting, never been there before. Any suggestions for decent places to dipnet and camp? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    A few suggestions:
    1. Bring a 3 foot round dipnet, not a 5 foot Kenai hoop. Contact Ron's Custom Dipnets in Chugiak, he sells the Copper style dipnets for about $110, as well as replacement nets.....and bulk ice!
    2. Bring heavy-duty rope to tie yourself to a tree in the event you slip and fall in. Falling in pretty much=death.
    3. Bring smaller rope for stringers, put 5 fish on each stringer to easily keep track of your bounty.
    4. Contact the charter boat operators at O'Brien Creek. $100 boat ride (cash only) and they will put you on a good eddy to fish. We've been with Hem's Charter 3 years in a row.....all 3 years we brought back limits of 30-40 in 3 hours.

I know much of the land up there in AHTNA, so I'm unsure where exactly to camp or fish from shore. You may choose to stop and talk to some people first before setting up camp/dipping, as I've heard they can issue fines for trespassing on their land....

Good luck and be safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel E Fishin Sea View Post
    A few suggestions:
    1. Bring a 3 foot round dipnet, not a 5 foot Kenai hoop. Contact Ron's Custom Dipnets in Chugiak, he sells the Copper style dipnets for about $110, as well as replacement nets.....and bulk ice!
    Good luck and be safe!
    You know, when I went last year I didn't have any luck at all with my 3 foot net. Literally I was fishing one eddy with my 5 footer and the wife was on another eddy just a few feet down stream. In four hours we landed 24 in the 5 footer and a single one in the 3. It wasn't a matter of location or fishing technique either, as we switched off on the nets and switched the nets between the eddys.

That said, the 3 foot hoop is MUCH easier to handle in the fast water of the river. There were a few times when I thought my arms would get ripped out of their sockets with the big net.

Ditto on the rope and ice - good things to have. You might also want to make sure to have properly fitting life vests as well. I fish from shore and rope in as well as having on a PFD to help keep my head above water if I would happen to fall in.

Good luck and be safe.

On the net issue, it depends a lot on where you're fishing and how you're fishing. Sweeping, go with a smaller net as they are much more manageable. I use a bigger net for eddies. My go-to favorite net right now, though, is a 3-foot hoop from Donalson's with a smaller mesh so I don't have to deal with as many gilled fish. It makes fish extraction WAY easier, but you do lose a few simply because it's not a gillnet. I'd rather lose one here and there then have to take five minutes to untangle fish. For some reason the bigger mesh also leads to more tangles when the fish deathroll, too. If they are gilled, then get all twisted up with their teeth and jaws in the net it can be a pain to get them out.

Thanks Guys!! Fishing from shore, hadn't thought about the rope. Looked into Hem's and that is just about perfect! Thanks Guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticman View Post
    Thanks Guys!! Fishing from shore, hadn't thought about the rope. Looked into Hem's and that is just about perfect! Thanks Guys!!
    Yes, rope AND pfd. People die in that river. We're headed down tomorrow.

If you haven't already, read all this...

http://copperrivercharters.net/packing.htm
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

We fished with a 5' and 3' net and they both did good. The only reason the 5' didnt catch more is the operator was whooped!
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity