Thread: Chitina Run in June?

Default Chitina Run in June?

I live in Eagle River and would be interested in running down to Chitina during the first part of June if the run is good. I havent been there since before the road caved in but in the past we would always limit out down near the canyons which we can get to via ATV's.
    Looking for 2 other non smoking males who have there own ATV's and gear and who can climb up and down the hills without stroking out! We can split gas three ways for my motorhome and I am guessing it would be about $80-90 each and add 20-30 bucks for food from Costco. Only day I can not go is on Saurdays. A half of days drive to get there, day to fish and fillet, and the drive back and we are looking at 2-2 1/2 days for the trip. I drive slow especially pulling a trailer behind a 30 foot RV.
    By the time we buy ice for the coolers and maybe stop for a burger the entire trip would be under $150 each. Drop me a line if you are interested.
    Tennessee

I'm potentially interested, but I have a net designed for the Kenai instead of a more Copper-specific net. As the date approaches, let me know if you're still looking for fishing partners and I'll see if I can't rustle up a net to use.

If I had a wheeler I'd be up for it, but alas I don't.

Brian, I have a net you can borrow.

BTW, any word on when the atv bridge over O'Brian creek will be in?

Question Different nets?

What makes a Kenai dipnet unsuitable for the Chitina? I bought a Mike's special from a departing friend last year, and hoped to use it on the Chitina this year. Is it a size diff, shape, handle length?

The current in the Copper is fast, so you want a smaller frame, otherwise you'll just get tuckered out. A landing net sized frame works well. I like to fish a back-eddy and use a 12' pole, tied off to shore. Just hold it in the eddy until a fish hits, then yank it out.

Yup, thats how I fish also. I use a 10-12 foot fiberglass handle with a regular net on the hoop end. Adjust the rope so the current can sweep the net out directly in front of you and wait till you feel the "tap tap".
    When the fishing is good you only need one net in the water and the rest of the crew bops the fish and tie them up. I landed a 80 pound King one year and by the accounts of the two other people fishing with me lost an even larger one when he flipped out the top of the net. This was in the days they allowed a family to keep 5 kings.
    Its one glorious slimy mess but fun and delicious eating!
    Tennessee

I use both nets without any problem. I imagine the Kenai net is the one with a solid aluminum hoop; right? It's very heavy, one is made of a kind of rectangular shape, while the other is just round. That's what I use in the Copper when standing still with the net in the water waiting for salmon to swim into it. Then I use the Copper type net when i have to sweep the current, because this one is lightweight compared to the first. The hoop is made of aluminum tubing instead of being solid.

i'm interested. I live in E.R. I have a four wheeler. I have a kenai net but can get the other required gear. I am fairly new to Alaska (two and 1/2 years). I dipped the Kenai last year, and would like to dip the Copper this year but I want to go with someone who has been there before!

Let me know if there is availability.

Roookie

I was at F&G yesterday (Friday) to get my dipping permit, and was told that there is still a lot of ice at Miles Lake. It means that there is a possibility for salmon to move upstream late this year.

I will probably go the first week if F&G can take some positive sonar counts. It seems that it takes nearly two weeks after the count for salmon to move as far as Chitina, so it's a guessing game for me.